Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#709361 08/01/03 10:36 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
So I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem? Last weekend I finally got my 3L Hybrid dropped into my 95 SE. Got everything hooked up and at this point, I'm so excited, words can't explain. I hit the key and she cranks, BUT.....no start!! She'll crank for a couple seconds and then locks up as if someone jammed something in the chains or something. It's a solid stop. In talking with one of the guys at work, he suggested that it's getting too much gas. It think it's possible since I went from stock 17's to 24's. It cranks and sputters like she wants to start but she doesn't quite catch. Also, maybe caused by the higher compression, but my starter sounds like it's got a lot less a$$ when she's cranking. I had 178k miles on the 2.5 when I pulled it out. Maybe the starter's weak??

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem with their 3L Hybrid not wanting to start or if anyone has any suggestions I might be able to go on.

I'll put holes in him!!
#709362 08/01/03 11:30 AM
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Kinda sounds like its not timmed correctly. Check your timming chain sensors while your at it. When I did my swap I was extremly suprised how fast it started. Like it was never out of the car. So If i was you I would check to make sure gas is getting in there, and also to make sure you have spark.

Fast Cheap reliable Pick two
#709363 08/01/03 01:03 PM
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Please tell me you didn't reuase the timing chains and heads from your old engine on this swap? With that kind of mileage the heads and timing assemblies were due for repair/replacement. If it's a solid stop, you'd never get enough fuel to do that. I went from 19's to 42's my first time around and it started and ran until it fouled the plugs out. I'd say check timing.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
#709364 08/01/03 02:30 PM
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
He used our P&P heads with 3L valves but your 100% right it sounds like a timing issue.

What year 3L and what parts from your 2.5 did you use?

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
#709365 08/01/03 08:48 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
The engine cranking and not starting is very typical of the pulsewheel being put on incorrectly. The two keyways on the pulsewheel are almost 180° apart and using the wrong one will result in a no start.

See some old posts about this here.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=3L&Number=261901&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

#709366 08/02/03 10:40 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I used brand new chains and like Jesse said, a set of heads that he had and were reworked. As far as timing, all my marks were lined up dead nuts. The crank pulse wheel I bought a new one and used the 2.5 mark on the keyway (I've got a picture of it but havn't put it on a server yet so can't post it here). Made sure of that putting it all together. I've got good spark and I know it's getting gas cause I can smell it.

As far as it locking up during cranking. I don't think it's hitting valves or anything because as soon as I let off the key, she'll crank again like it never stopped. I will admit, when I was putting it together, I didn't realize the ACTUAL timing mark on the crank chain gears and was first timing off the keyway. But the valves were hitting when I turned it over by hand. As soon as I realized that the actual timing mark was like 160 degrees from the keyway, I corrected and everything rotated fine before I put the front cover on. I'm confused.

I'm going up today to try and maybe pinch off the fuel feed and cut some of the flow to the injectors off. If that doesn't work, I'm changing back to the old fuel rails and the 17's and see if I can get her to start that way.

I'll put holes in him!!
#709367 08/02/03 10:45 AM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
The keyway should be right at the dead spot (open tooth) on the pulse wheel, right? I just took a look a the picture and that's what I've got.......please tell me that's right cause I REALLY don't feel like pulling this thing apart again.

I'll put holes in him!!
#709368 08/02/03 02:36 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
1.) You are probably ok with your timing if you can crank for a few seconds...at least insofar as the valves not hitting the pistons because if they were you would have locked up on the 1st revolution and it wouldn't 'crank' over.

2.) It is possible that you are getting so much fuel that it fills the cylinders and locks up the motor, but unlikely. You need to pull your spark plugs and look for fuel. You also will have to dump the oil since all that raw gas is leaking down past the rings. It will strip oil of the cylinders and reduce compression. It will build up harmful vapors and probably cause a small explosion if you do get it to run.
Pull the plugs, check/change the oil.

3.) Unplug the fuse for the fuel pump, crank it and check for spark. If you have spark and you have no fuel dumping in and flooding it then you should be able to start. Check fuel pressure too. You could go back to the 17# injectors just to see if it will run as you already suggested.

4.) Why would the engine lock up after cranking, but then when you let off the key and try again it cranks? Could be a problem with the starter? Could be something mechanically wrong inside the engine? Be carefull and check out the proper areas.

Fuel, Air, Spark If you have these and you engine is timed ok then it should start.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#709369 08/02/03 04:33 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Ok, well, I just got to my dad's house and sprinkled her with holy water before giving her another shot . Still no go. BUT, she did crank a bit longer before locking up during cranking. I pinched off the supply fuel line and she cranked a lot longer but no fire. She did sound a lot more like she wanted to start this time though.

I pulled #5 plug and checked and she's soaked in gas and black as hell. So I'm guessing that's what it is is just too much gas. I'm on my way into town now to get new plugs and am letting the battery charge while I'm gone. When I get back I think I'm gonna put the old 17's back in her and see what happens with those and new plugs. Even if I just have to take it REAL easy on her for break-in with the 17's then put the 24's back in before dyno tuning.

I'll let ya all know what happens!!

I'll put holes in him!!
#709370 08/02/03 07:39 PM
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by SETour95:
The keyway should be right at the dead spot (open tooth) on the pulse wheel, right? I just took a look a the picture and that's what I've got.......please tell me that's right cause I REALLY don't feel like pulling this thing apart again.

You need to use the keyway furthest away from the missing tooth. See the picture for help. I would recommend that someone put this picture in their how-to or maybe Lance could put it on the site.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard