Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Found a nail in my left-front tire merely 500 miles after last major service (85K) at dealer. PAID dealer $30 for rotation too, plus other diagnostics (that P0420 code and the rear suspension noise). They certified all tires have proper treads and brake linings are fine, all in green.

So I went to Big O, where I bought my tires. It's supposed to be free flat repair and all that. Thinking it was a simple 10 minute job and free and all that...

Guess what they found when they pulled the tire out... INSIDE of the tire is COMPLETELY cusped. No wear mark at all. ALL WORN OUT. Bad alignment somehow. Come to think of it, it has been over 20K since my last alignment. Then they checked ALL FOUR WHEELS, same thing. ALL are worn on the inside. In other words, either the dealer service techs are BLIND not to see the inside wear (and recommend an alignment), or they charged me $30 without doing anything! And this is in the past THREE visits!

The one with the nail can't be patched due to low tread, and the other three are on their last legs as well. I had to replace ALL FOUR TIRES.

Beware of this dealer! This is South City Ford in San Bruno, Caiifornia, just north of SF International Airport.

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Hmm,

I'd be more suspicious of your tire dealer.

It would be very hard to wear out a tire in 500 miles, even with a bad alignment. (I think you are saying the alignment was out and the dealer didn't tell you. At least I read that between the lines.)

So I suspect that either the damage was done, already, or your tire store is shady.

What incentive does your dealer have to tell you bad tires are good. Ford dealers are selling tires now, so if they were bad, wouldn't they try to sell you a set.

Just another POV to consider, I wasn't there.

[EDIT] I didn't read carefully. The $30 for rotation doesn't give you a check of your alignment, but yes they should have noted that. However, that really wouldn't fix the damage already done.

TB

Last edited by BOFH; 08/01/03 02:37 AM.

"Seems like our society is more interested in turning each successive generation into cookie-cutter wankers than anything else." -- Jato 8/24/2004
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Yes, my point was the dealer SHOULD have spotted the bald tires on the INSIDE when rotating the tires, LONG before today! I can see how a purely visual inspection would have missed the inside, but they HAD TO TAKE THEM OFF to rotate them, THREE TIMES in the past 15K miles, if not earlier! They just rotated them BLINDLY without even looking at the tires!?!?!

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
"Welcome to the Ford Service Department where you and your car really don't matter, just your money." I've had my car in 5 different Ford stealerships for warranty work since I bought it and have yet to find one that is even halfway competent.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I refuse to take my car to a ford dealer. One time I took my car in for a recall, and while I was there I ordered two new window strips and one of the covers for the car jack point on the side skirts... total cost was like $60. Anyways, the dealer finished the recall fix, but the parts weren't in yet that I ordered so they told me just to come back and pick them up when they come in (I already paid for them when I picked up the car). The dealer told me they'd give me a call once they received them. A week goes by and no call, so I figure they forgot about me or something. I call up the dealer asking for the status of my parts that I ordered. Guy on the phone says, according to our computers the parts were already installed at the time of the recall fix.

I respond, "That's funny, my car is sitting in the driveway with two missing window strips and side skirt cover."

Go back to the dealer, explain to one of the managers what happened... manager talks to mechanics and comes back, "According to the mechanics they installed the parts when you brought it in a week ago."

Got screwed out of $60 b/c parts were installed that they didn't even have at the time and had to order for me. That's the last time a ford dealer has seen my business. Oh and on a side note, I had to replace the light bulb in my clock, napa didn't have any that fit... dealer says that I can't replace the bulb, I have to replace the entire unit! I found a place that had the bulb...

2005 S/C Monte Carlo SS 1995 Contour SE
M
M
Ok - I'm not saying I've had fabulous experiences with Dealers, but, your comments have to make me ask.

Why would they try to rip you off in that fashion?
It's one thing for them to refuse to do work, or fail to discover your problems; it's quite another to simply fail to give you the parts.

I'd ask - is there something about your experience that is prompting them to do this? Were you rude? Do you come across as somebody trying to get something for free? Is there any history with you fighting/arguing with them about something else? Or is this particular Service Manager that much of a weasel that they have to screw you out of $60?

In any case, regardless of whether your signature is on a piece of paper saying you paid, you do have recourse; particularly if you used a credit card and particularly if it's quite obvious that the hardware is not installed on your car. Consider talking to the dealership manager - over such a small amount of money as $60, I can't believe they'd even want to waste the time it takes to talk to you. They'd just pay it and get you out of there.

Lastly, consider complaining to the Better Business Bureau. Make the threat during your next talk with them, and if they don't help, FOLLOW THROUGH on the threat. Make sure they hear from others about your concerns.

Hmmm, about the bulb for the clock. I had zero problems buying a replacement bulb for the clock on a 95 MTX SE a couple years ago from a Dealership. For such a tiny item it was expensive ($5?).

Mike

F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Too funny I had to post this:

I just called the local Ford stealership this morning to get listed mechanic time and approximate quotes for swapping out the clutch and flywheel. The moron at the service department asks me "Is it manual or automatic trans?" hahah Then, after I already told him twice it was a 2000 CSVT he asks me if it's a v-6? Last time I checked they didn't make a CSVT with anything else! Man I would NEVER take my car to this morons for even an oil change!

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Oh boy! This is scary! Even though not all Ford dealers are SVT certified, we would at least expect them to be aware of Ford products...

Did they ask you if it is a coupe?

Captain Bart 1999 Black/Midnight Blue SVT #1949/2760 Built on 04/20/1999 Received on 05/07/1999 Sold on 08/03/2006
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
Dude, dodge dealers don't even know what an SRT-4 is. "is that a truck or somethin'??" Take your car to get the oil changed and you have to put down that has a 2 liter engine with SOHC and that it's an sxt. Talk about lack of knowledge.....

But will agree that all Ford Dealers suck too, I wouldn't join the SVTOA in Atlanta just because I hated their sponsor dealer soooo bad!

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My family has been in the newspaper business since 1960. The one SURE-FIRE way to deal with crap like this is to say you'll contact the local media consumer advocate - TV, newspaper, or radio. They'll jump.

My dad used to say, "Never get into a pissing contest with people who buy ink by the barrel.".

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard