Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
Well the speakers went in without much hassle at all! Only needed to drill new holes for the sheet metal screws and was all set -- didn't have to fabricate any board or anything like that to go behind the speaker, so i was pumped.

They sounded HORRIBLE at first, because i don't know anything about car amps. I'm powering them with a US accoustics 65x4 watt amp. Well, i didn't have a damn clue what gain or any of that **** is, so i was just twisting dials and pushing buttons. Then my buddy who is a car audio stud came by, and he tuned all the stuff perfectly.

The speakers now sound great. They hit so freaking low its unbelievable, as low as most subs I've heard, but obviously not as loud. Bass notes are likes deep "punches" not like the deep "booms" of a sub, which was exactly what i wanted.

I am experiencing some engine noise... used to be a lot, then i bought this noise killer thing for 20 bucks at radio shack. that thing helped a ton, but i still need to play with it more.

The only annoyance is the drivers side front sail panel (that triangular plastic piece on the inside of the window) rattles like a ***** with the low frequencies.. Could I have put it back on with the wrong screw when I reassembled the door??

Thanks, Jake

------------------
1995 Duratec MTX
KKM, Aluminum Racing Pedals
17" Borbet Type Ts
Burton Ram Air (thanks twoWheelin)
TH and EGR fix

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra 2.2
1995 Duratec MTX GL R.I.P.
http://www.bags-of-funk.com
B
B
Which Kenwood 6x9s did you install? Where did you get 'em?

I'm buying a '95 SE MTX in a couple days and am trying to determine which 6x9 speakers will fit in the factory locations with little or no modifications.

Jason
current 95 Contour SE (V6) MTX owner
former 96 Mystique LS V6/MTX owner
Quote:
Originally posted by JaketheSnake:
The only annoyance is the drivers side front sail panel (that triangular plastic piece on the inside of the window) rattles like a ***** with the low frequencies.. Could I have put it back on with the wrong screw when I reassembled the door??

Remove the sail panels and put some foam back there to keep them from rattling. I doubt it's anything you did.

------------------

2 Red Tours!
'96 GL V6 ATX - the wifes ride
'98 SVT with both options - my toy!
OF's TH fix / K&N / Glove Box Light / an dats it!

2 Red Tours!
'96 GL V6 ATX - the wifes ride
'98 SVT with both options - my toy!
K&N / Glove Box Light / an dats it!
J
OP Offline
J
thanks redtour, ill give that a shot.

the speakers are the kenwood excelon 6X9's... they are $200 a pair at crutchfield... thats the cheapest i could find them..

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra 2.2
1995 Duratec MTX GL R.I.P.
http://www.bags-of-funk.com
W
W
Congrats on your results!
I experienced the same type of performance with my Infinity Kappa 6x9s. A hard hitting bottom end punch rather than a boom.

For the sail panels, you may have installed too long of a screw (from the lower left/right corner of the door panel?) which is bottoming out in it's hole before touching the sail panel. My panels don't rattle at all.

-Wes
98 SE Sport

E
E
For those that have installed 6x9's in their cars? What kinds of speakers have you found that fit? I noticed someone mentioned Infinity Kappas, what are the model number of those? Are they the two way or three way's? And do they fit in both the front and back doors? Also has anyone ever experimented with putting 6x9's in the back deck? Looks feasible enough to me with the two indentations that are back there. Now if only I could find a color coded grill to fit the indentations then I'd be all set.

------------------
1995 Mercury Mystique
No mods...yet

D
D
I don't know of a reason why you couldn't install them in the back deck, although I don't really see any advantage to mounting their. You should be able to get any 6x9 to fit. Most have very similar dimensions with the infinity's having the deepest mounting depth requirements. The grills should be fairly easy to make custom. You can always buy a matching fabric or paint the ones that come with the 6x9s.

E
E
The advantage I see to putting speakers in the deck is that the back door speaker locations really suck. Especially if you have the rear seats down, Almost totally blocks the speakers. Also In my case I'd be upping the number of speakers in my car to eight (possibly more) plus two subs. Might make for an interesting amp/crossover combination though huh? Any comments on
6-1/2's in the doors? What about tweeters? On the little triangle thingy or in the dash corners?

T
T
the sail panel rattles on mine as well, only when my stereo is on kind of loud. I took it off completely, then on the panel that faces outside, i put a black, plastic washer and with wome plastic model paint which i put on the washer on one side of it, put it on the point that is the closest to the roof. obviously the washer touches the metal on the car so it cant be seen. i havent had a rattle since! i also cant wait to install some 6x9s now that i know its that easy!

95 zetec no engine mods
20% tint, limo strip
alpine cda7876, alpine dddrive components ddc-r17h, 2 kicker 12L7 in a ported box facing forward and sealed from the trunk air space, zapco limited edition z600 (2) getting the 3-way component set
M
M
Hey, Jackthesnake, I have three questions.

Where did you mount the 6x9 (I assume the front door)?

Where did you mount the US acoustics amp? (I?m going to install one in my 98 LS and haven?t decided where).

How do you like the amp? (looks like the specs are great for the $)

I?m on my second set of 5x7 (polk and infinity) I?m going to add the amp and would like to upgrade to 6x9 but I don?t
think they will fit. Us old guy?s like to crank the tunes too.

jeff

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard