Next Thread
Print Thread
#701766 07/24/03 03:31 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
OP Offline
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
I changed my oil tonight on the SVT for the first time. Besides the usual crap of the drain plug and filter being overly torqued down by the shop that did the last oil change , I noticed something strange. After filling up with 6 quarts, I started it up. In the two seconds it took for the oil light to go off (which is normal, as the filter fills up and new oil starts circulating) there was this strange buzzing sound. It went away as soon as the oil light went off. Took it for a drive to burn off the oil that got on the exhaust, and besides the smell of burning oil, there were no other problems.

In case it helps, I used Mobil 1 5W-30 and a K&N oil filter. Should I be worried, or has anyone experienced this before? Was this the pump getting the new oil, or the filter filling up? I use Quaker State 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters on the Sport, which has never had this happen before.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#701767 07/24/03 05:03 AM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
that buzzing sound you heard could have been a few things.

It could have been the sound of the timing chain running with low tension since the tension regulators are hydraulically actuated by engine oil pressure.

Or you are right, the sound you heard was the sound of the oil pump cavitating or sucking air.

In either case I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard