Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#694256 07/16/03 01:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Actually, it stumbles before that too. I have a sweet spot just off of idle where it'll accelerate OK, anything over that causes a stumbling. I have a 95 Contour SE Zetec with 126,000 miles on it. I'm getting an EGR not opening code off of the engine (33). But from what I've read from the archives, and by searching the main forums, the EGR does not come into play at WOT. Am I misunderstanding the EGR's role in this?

I've cleaned the MAF, and was about to pull the EGR, but if it doesn't affect the engine at WOT, what else could it be?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

#694257 07/16/03 10:25 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Welcome to CEG!

This sounds like a bad TPS. Initially a spot will go bad where the throttle is held at normal cruise speeds, a little off idle. When the spot wears through, all pedal travel will be without accel enrichment. Once up to speed, everything would seem OK.

Fuel pressure being low would also cause starvation durring acceleration. High speeds may be unobtainable. Low fuel pressure can be the pump, filter, or regulator. There is a Schrader valve in the fuel line for checking this.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#694258 07/17/03 12:22 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the TPS only really makes a difference it you have a ATX.

when i had a stumble under acceleration, and a good idle, it was the plug wires. If you haven't changed them it might be a good idea anyway and a good starting point

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#694259 07/17/03 01:25 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by brapple:
the TPS only really makes a difference it you have a ATX.

The TPS is responsible for acceleration enrichment, engine load estimation (for ignition advance maps and EGR demand), and A/C WOT cutout on both manual and automatic transmissions.

Engine load estimation is also used for determining automatic transmission shift points.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#694260 07/17/03 03:25 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
the only reason I bring it up is that my father thought this was the problem at first. He explained it in relation to a carburator with a bad accelerator pump, it wouldn't put in the extra fuel needed when the throttle was openned. So we replaced it and nothing changed.

I bring it up because alot of people with high milage have complained about this and more often then not it is the plugs or wires or both

but I did learn something, I didn't know what the TPS controlled because before I was told it was mainly for ATX shift points

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#694261 07/17/03 07:03 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
It's always 5 things at a minimum. I'm at 60k, and it's doing the same thing. It's time to replace the plug wires, plugs, cap, and check the fuel pressure anyways. But, I never thought about a TPS. That's why I love this forum! I appreciate it.

I think, I tinker, I play around, I build. '99 Contour W Ztc, ATX, HID Fog, mesh, A6, B LED, Big 3, Alpine cda-9827, Memphis lvs12 1200w, Alpine 1241, 4xInf K 6x8, Xfire 400/4, 7.2 LCD, glv box "xbox jack" mod, interior horn alarm mod
#694262 07/21/03 11:59 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for that...I didn't even think of a bad TPS. I'll have to go through the forum now and search

I was starting to think it may be the cat

#694263 07/21/03 07:50 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by jmoore813:
Thanks for that...I didn't even think of a bad TPS. I'll have to go through the forum now and search

Do the easy, obvious and cheap things first. My course is to usually tear down the entire engine when all I needed is plugs. But now I'm older and (maybe) wiser. Try the plugs first, and I see that you have a 99 Zetec which is VERY sensitive to the right plugs. You MUST have fine-wire, low resistance plugs. I put new Autolite double plats in my car and it ran like crap until I put in new Motorcraft single platinum, low resistance plugs. So try the plugs, then the wires, then maybe the MAF or the TPS. But I have a feeling that the plugs will help or eradicate your problem completely. Ken, 99 Silver Frost Zetec Atx.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
#694264 07/21/03 09:32 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Kennard:
Originally posted by jmoore813:

Do the easy, obvious and cheap things first. My course is to usually tear down the entire engine when all I needed is plugs. But now I'm older and (maybe) wiser. Try the plugs first, and I see that you have a 99 Zetec which is VERY sensitive to the right plugs. You MUST have fine-wire, low resistance plugs. I put new Autolite double plats in my car and it ran like crap until I put in new Motorcraft single platinum, low resistance plugs. So try the plugs, then the wires, then maybe the MAF or the TPS. But I have a feeling that the plugs will help or eradicate your problem completely. Ken, 99 Silver Frost Zetec Atx.

I agree...definitely do the cheap things first. Chances are they need to be done in any case. Unfortunately with my car it turned out to be the catalytic converter + timing belt. See my post at Fix to A/C and Bogging
/Eric

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada '96 Mystique GS, ATX
#694265 07/22/03 12:19 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well, I already swapped the plugs to Motocraft, and no change. Things improved when I changed my air filter, and cleaned the MAF and all my connectors.

my problems seemed to start a couple of months ago when I was checking my air filter, then put it back a little off, so part of the rubber "frame" smooshed (technical term) in the cover. As far as I can tell, any pieces of the air filter would have gone straight to the TB, right?

As far as the TPS goes, shouldn't the engine be throwing out a TPS code? Or, would the TPS affect the EGR, causing the engine to throw an EGR code?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard