Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
Why not fix the WP yourself? It's a no-brainer job that takes less than an hour...

There's a howto, even.

-Lance

Where is the howto? I think I've got the same problem and need to fix it ASAP.

Thanks.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
If you could have the CEL scanned I can check the code to see what it is exactly. The water pump can be bought at NAPA, if you have those there and if not, just get it from BAT, along with a new w/p belt

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
R
OP Offline
R
It's fixed, and yes - it was the waterpump. Black plastic, (I assume the original) in two full pieces, fit perfectly together, but destroyed where it joins the shaft. The mechanic (since he's a friend) came over saving me the tow cost, and I only had to pay $50 CDN for the labour. Took about an hour and a half, plus $120 CDN for the Ford updated water pump. Yes I know, you are all going to start screaming about not getting a metal impeller, but I asked about who had it, and the NAPA I called did NOT have the metal version. No one else could tell me for sure, and several other posts talk about the added weight of metal, etc., updated white plastic is ok, etc etc...

ANYWAY, the Ford version is in - I'll let you know how long it lasts! The original went 139000km...

jpb

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
i had the same problem.. i got the whole water pump from dealer at a discount, $120. about two years ago.... on the V-6 engine i had to take the battery out, battery tray to get the new one in... dont know how i got the old one out without removing the battery and tray, but if i could have paid someone $50 to change it i would have been satisfied..
and i dont think my new one is metal either.....if it ever goes out again then i will go with the metal impeller, but so far this one is working fine......

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
a lot of the napa morons dont know they have them, they're not in the computer listed with a metal impellar... i just went in the store and asked him to show me every water pump he had for my contour, wala one was metal...

-Matt "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever!" will do/pay just about anything for the following parts: CF sunroof glass replacement OEM CF trunk Non OEM style cf or fiberglass hood not the cf1 design
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by racer1977:
Yes I know, you are all going to start screaming about not getting a metal impeller, but I asked about who had it, and the NAPA I called did NOT have the metal version. No one else could tell me for sure, and several other posts talk about the added weight of metal, etc., updated white plastic is ok, etc etc...

When my waterpump exploded last fall, I had it replaced with a metal pump at a local shop (had it towed there, didn't have the time to do it myself).

They initially ordered the Ford replacement pump, but when they had to take out little pieces of black plastic from everywhere in the engine, the shop owner decided to make the effort to find that elusive metal impeller pump. They called an SVT dealer, and the parts staff there told them to call one of their supplier, and to have them check in every box for the metel impeller. It seems that they have the same part number as the plastic one! The supplier was exclusive to the dealer, so they sold the pump to the dealer, which sold it to the shop. The other auto parts didn't have the metal impeller available - or even listed for that matter.. IIRC the cost of the pump itself was around 160$ CDN.. a little higher than the plastic pump they already had ordered.

Worth it, IMO.. even if it's just for the peace of mind..

Kyo 1997 Mystique GS Duratec ATX -- sold 2005 Focus ST - Quicker! - Still a Duratec!
O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
You duratec guys have it good and bad.

Good - You can get to your waterpump without ripping half of your car apart.

Bad - You have to replace it a lot more than we zetec guys do.

I replaced mine along with the timing belt. For a professional mech. it takes about 8 hours (according to the mech I talked to). It took me three days of off and on working. I drained the coolant, replaced the gasket. At first the old one wouldn't come out. I put it back in and then decided against it and ripped it back out later. The car got a few internal boo-boos from the waterpump being a bizatch. Anyway. Napa had the new metal waterpump for the zetec for 50 bucks. Timing belt for 15. Not bad. Anyways..

Point is you guys have it bad and good.

95 Mystique GS Zetec ATX: Dead - Dec 5th, 2003 94 Accord LX 2.2L MTX Non-Vtec. Few bolt ons. 02 Escape XLT 3.0 V6 ATX. This thing has the CD4E in it?! What the hell was ford thinking?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard