Next Thread
Print Thread
#68662 06/23/00 04:41 AM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey Dave what's up?

I've read a few things about your stereo and it sounds like you know how to buy good stuff, I wanted to talk to you about it(couple questions). You know, the usual stuff...who did all the installs...How do you like that sub...any future plans? Things like that, hope to hear from ya soon. You can just e-mail if you want. brantleyiii@earthlink.net

------------------
Brad W.
98.5 SE
No Mods
Custom Stereo
------------------
"There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them."

#68663 06/24/00 07:51 PM
D
D
Hi,
Right now the setup is fairly basic. I have decided not to spend a whole lot of money on an install because I am unsure if the car will be with me at school. I have been buying everything at a High School student budged (just goes to show you can have quality if you buy piece by piece). Anyway, if I had the extra money to spend (I need to save my money for college next year) I would probably redo a lot of it. I want to see how the kappa's sound when they are amped and high passed at 80hz. They are nice sounding speakers but should not be run at full range IMHO. I hear bad things about kappa midbass and I may end up replacing the front coaxs with some 6.5" comps. I love my subwoofer. I want to get another one and put them in a custom sealed box but money is a constraint on that. I had one shop put my amp in and I hate them. They are real assholes and there install job was bad. I am taking my car to MMXpress in Barneget NJ because I have dealt with John (the owner) many times on internet ordering (great place to order online, http://www.mmxpress.com/ .) I have seen some of his work which is real nice plus he is a member of Team ROCS. He is going to install my amp either under the passenger seat or in the trunk. I am still debating on which location. I think I may build an amp rack and have him help me install the amps onto it. I will need to see how much he will charge for that. I probably left some things out but that is all I can think of for now.

------------------
David Litsky
96 Contour GL
Clarion, Infinity, ESX, Alumapro

David Litsky
AIM: DaveL225
My Car
#68664 06/25/00 06:33 AM
G
G
David L, how do you have your sub mounted, bandpass reflex, sealed box or free? Had my friend put a pair of the Audiobahn High Excursion 10" subs in two sealed boxes in his F-150, powered 400w to each.. ouch! these kick ass.. there most impressive with the 2" surrounds.. the throw is massive..
Im wondering because I want to stay with the bandpass box for truer bass but not too sure how those would sound.. I have to rebuild the box that I got from Audiobahn, I have a 12" preformace sub in it right now, and its tearing the box up, bows the plexiglass so much I fear its going to snap soon.. no kidding.. and actually bows the back out as well, Im going to reconstruct a new sturdier box shortly..
any thoughts on the Alums is appreciated..

Thanks

#68665 06/25/00 09:50 AM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey David,

So you've dealt with John huh? Yeah he's a great guy, I love the way they do buisness. I live in Colorado and have only talked to him through e-mail. I purchased my car's battery through them, I love it.(Lightning Audio SBX1500) I'm looking at a few other products he carries. That's funny that, not only do you know John, you live close by his business. Small world. I guess the world is just more closely linked because of the internet. I know what you mean about buying things piece by piece. I kind of sucks installing things that way but is much easier on the wallet. I slowly bought all of the components for my 'tour before a actually had it so I could install everything at once. I'm in the process of thinking over some redesigns/overhauls for most of the system. We'll see how that goes.

Peace,

------------------
Brad W.
98.5 SE
No Mods
Custom Stereo
------------------

#68666 06/25/00 02:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So this MMXpress company is good stuff? I believe this is where I'm ordering my new amplifiers and balanced line drivers from. They're one of only two companys that I found that carries ESX equipment.

#68667 06/25/00 11:46 PM
S
sqplus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Grey,

Yes, I would certainly recommend ordering from mmxpress. They have a very helpful staff, great prices, and stick by the products they sell.

Peace,

------------------
Brad W.
98.5 SE
No Mods
Custom Stereo
------------------

#68668 06/27/00 12:59 AM
D
D
GravY -
My sub is in a sealed QLogic box. Not the most ideal enclosure but it sounds pretty good. IMO, sealed is the way to go.If not sealed go with a port. Bandpass is too sloppy for my taste and sounds bad unless you have the box custom made for the subs. It is much easier to get a good sound out of sealed or ported.

SQPlus -
I haven't met John...yet. I have talked to him a few times via phone and plenty via e-mail. The items that I did not purchase from John we purchased elsewhere because John did not carry them. He has pretty good prices but not always the best. However, since the service is always reliable I go back to him.

------------------
David Litsky
96 Contour GL
Clarion, Infinity, ESX, Alumapro

David Litsky
AIM: DaveL225
My Car

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard