Print Thread
#68634 06/20/00 07:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a digital EQ that I'm installing into my Mystique. Its a regular DIN size chassis. I already have my CD player in the existing slot, so I need a new place to mount the DEQ. I'm thinking about placing it in the center console, under the dash, in that little spot that does nothing but possible hold a pen and a couple dimes. I think you know where I'm talking about. Right behind that there is some duct work, and a relay. I don't think I'm gonna cut that out and relocate relays yet. What I'm hopeing to do is mount the face of the EQ on the console, and run a wire to the main sending unit. Except I need to get a longer 18 conductor ribbon cable. Any ideas where i can get this? Anybody do anything like this before? If I decide to cut into the ducting, or just take a section out and rebuild it, can anybody see any harm in this? It will more than likely mess up my floor venting, but that is the price you pay for car audio.

Thanks, sorry this is a bunch of rambling. I'll try and clarify it when I'm not in a rush.

#68635 06/20/00 10:10 PM
S
S
Hey Grey,

You might try looking for a long ribbon cable at http://www.pricewatch.com . They have lots of computer parts you can search for, any online computer store would be a good place to start looking. I'm assuming you need a ribbon longer than the ones they sell at Best Buy etc...I know they sell some but I don't think they are very long. Usually no more than a few feet.

------------------
Brad W.
98.5 SE
No Mods
Custom Stereo
------------------
"There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them."

#68636 06/20/00 11:24 PM
A
A
I have dont it, see Car Stereo Review June issue.

My brother owns a computer company, so all I did was get in contact with him and told him what I wanted for ribbon cable.

He gets his stuff out of electronic catalogs which I'm sure you can get through an electronics specialty shop (maybe not Radio Shack).

Note also that I used an interface module. This was custom designed for my Behringer by Chris Owens of Owen Industries. Some ribbon cable singles can not traval long distances, like from your dash to the truck or under the seat. My interface module boost the signal so I don't have this problem for my main DSP broad for the EQ that under the passenger seat.

I would not screw up my AC unit because it would would be expensive to fix or replace and it should cease to be covered by Ford warranty. If you are driving daily you got to have air and heat. I can't do without that either.

#68637 06/20/00 11:26 PM
A
A
I have done it, see Car Stereo Review June issue.

My brother owns a computer company, so all I did was get in contact with him and told him what I wanted for ribbon cable.

He gets his stuff out of electronic catalogs which I'm sure you can get through an electronics specialty shop (maybe not Radio Shack).

Note also that I used an interface module. This was custom designed for my Behringer by Chris Owens of Owen Industries. Some ribbon cable singles can not traval long distances, like from your dash to the trunk or under the seat. My interface module boost the signal so I don't have this problem for my main DSP broad for the EQ that under the passenger seat.

I would not screw up my AC unit because it would be expensive to fix or replace and it should cease to be covered by Ford warranty. If you are driving daily you got to have air and heat. I can't do without that either.

#68638 06/21/00 12:40 AM
L
L
I assume you are talking about the space beneath the radio above the cupholders. The pre-98 consoles had a DIN-sized storage tray, so yes it is possible to mount something there. I would not touch anything behind it though. The relay you refer to is the airbag controller, not a good thing to fool around with.

------------------
Louis Wang
Sugar Land, TX
1998 Black E0 #3826
http://web.wtez.net/tw57472

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
#68639 06/25/00 01:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was digging around behind the center console again at the duct work. The ducting manifold is actually two pieces. The lower piece is used to route air to the numerous floor vents. I'm going to remove the lower portion (sacrificing my floor venting) and it will give me enough room to mount my DIN size DEQ/DSP into my center console. Kinda sucks that american cars don't come with a double DIN opening. On second thought, my friends 89 Stand came with one..hrmmm.

Anyway, the install is underway now. The CD changer is in the glove box, and the sub box is almost complete.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard