Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
My check engine light came on, and my 96 Contour LX (V-6) just hit 85500, so I took it to the local Ford dealer for a checkup and service. I told the service advisor about a "creak" sound when I accelerate or brake, and a wheel shaking, and look into the check engine light.

The wheel shaking just means the wheel needs to be rotated and rebalanced. That's simple enough. They did that. It's fixed.

The creaking sound is something about control arm bushings... $150+ for replacement. Opted to wait on that.

The check engine light... was caused by a bad catalytic converter. Both cats are "toast", according to the service advsior. Total replacement cost... $2800?!?!?!?!!

Is this guy taking me for a "ride", or is he serious? Is there a way I can get this fixed without spending a fortune? I am only partially employed and I'm barely making my credit card payments as is.

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Would be helpful in responding if you could post; the actual trouble codes the dealership retrieved, also whether you have experienced DPFE exhaust pressure hoses coming off.

Emissions warranty, which covers cats, is 8yrs/80,000 miles.
There was also a recall on these for '95/'96 cars, so dealer should have checked if recall had been done or was still applicable.

The pre-cats are in each of the exhaust manifolds and then there is the main cat under car. Replacement of all of them would be in the $2,000+ range you quote.

Alternate solution wouild be to gut the pre-cats and replace only main cat but you would first have to research how that would affect passing your State's emissions tests.

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
My 95 suffered from this problem, but the insides of the pre-cats began crumbling and caused the main cat to become clogged. There are few sources to get pre-cats so your stuck with dealer pricing on them and there is lot of labor to replace these. A replacement main cat is available from many sources and a 'universal fit' will work fine. If the pre-cats are bad, gutting them is a lot cheaper than replacement. If the main cat is working well, you should pass an emissions test.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by horseydug:
Would be helpful in responding if you could post; the actual trouble codes the dealership retrieved, also whether you have experienced DPFE exhaust pressure hoses coming off.

They didn't give me the trouble codes. :P All it says on the report they gave me is "Tested Cat. Cat efficiency low."

And no, no pressure hose coming off.

Quote:

Emissions warranty, which covers cats, is 8yrs/80,000 miles.
There was also a recall on these for '95/'96 cars, so dealer should have checked if recall had been done or was still applicable.

Recall was already done. This car has been under dealer care since purchase...

Quote:

The pre-cats are in each of the exhaust manifolds and then there is the main cat under car. Replacement of all of them would be in the $2,000+ range you quote.

Eeek. I can just see the labor pile up on that one... But I guess my question is WHICH cat needs to be replaced, right? I mean, it's normal for the dealer to tell me "all of them", which I only want SOME of them?

Quote:

Alternate solution wouild be to gut the pre-cats and replace only main cat but you would first have to research how that would affect passing your State's emissions tests.

This is California... Unlikely, esp. with the new SMOG2 coming online soon, but one can hope...

So most of that is just labor, right?

Just a plain jane '96 LX V-6 here...
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I got my main cat replaced at a total expenditure of about $250. Found the actual part online for $100 or so and got my local shop to install because my Contour buddies around here were tied up. The precats are a lot more complicated, sure, but IMO since you're not getting the work done under warranty, I'd say screw "dealer care" since I rather doubt they care much about giving YOU the best deal. Shop around.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
You can also DIY for a lot less.

Check the following sites for cats:

http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/ford-contour-converter.html

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/ford_contour_catalytic_converter.html

I'm sure there are a lot of other places that sell cats cheap as well.

According to those sites, if you replaced ALL of the cats, then it would run you about $1300. Replacing one or two would be a lot less.

You can also read the following tech articles to try and determine which cats are bad:

http://www.all-catalytic-converters.com/techtips.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
'Scuse me, but would this be a good time for him to consider a Brullen or other Y pipe with a cat? Would this not solve his cat problem, give more performance, maintain emissions standards, & cost way under $1000 INSTALLED?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
'Scuse me, but would this be a good time for him to consider a Brullen or other Y pipe with a cat? Would this not solve his cat problem, give more performance, maintain emissions standards, & cost way under $1000 INSTALLED?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

thats what I was thinking, just get an aftermarket y-pipe. I havent checked but how much can this y-pipe cost

95 Contour Gl - the work beater - bought 6/15/03 88 S-10 Blazer - back up beater - owned since 89 97 Cobra Vert - my weekend toy - bought 12/01
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Brullen Y is $335 with a cat. I figure that much for the install & the shop will probably break a few bolts (his car is a 1996) & charge him for the extra labor.

I figure $800 plus any taxes. I am assuming that this will fly with the emissions standards in CA, but they are notorious tight-asses there.

If it won't fly, pick up a Y pipe setup from a bone yard, pass emissions with that, then buy the pipe you want. Still WAY cheaper.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Aftermarket Y-pipes do not contain the precats and will not resolve the original poster's dilema.

Precats are over $500 each and I have yet to find an aftermarket source for them for the Contour V-6.

My guess is that the codes the dealer pulled were P0420 and/or P0430. There is no sensor after the Y-pipe cat, so it is never checked by the engine's computer for efficiency of operation.

Bummer. Too bad that your car waited until your 8/80 warranty expired.

My suggestion would be to order the pre-cats/exhaust manifolds from a discount Ford parts distributor, then hire a local shop to replace them at the flate rate times.

You can then get an aftermarket y-pipe with its cat to complete the job. Total cost should be around 60% of your oringinal quote.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard