Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rahmel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
last night on my way home, my Check Engine Light came on, it was flashing (with about a second in between the flashes), the light was yellowish (i don't know if it lights up different like the coolant light does, but it was yellow) and then i noticed major hesitation in acceleration and revs in neutral. When i had my resonator removed it was clamped on and not welded in, but that was a year ago and it's been fine, it's just now starting to get surface rust on it. anyway, i haven't changed the plugs or wires since i had the car (i know i know) but i don't think that would cause the check engine light to come on would it? Is it a bad plug or wire you think? Oh, and when i rev the car, you can hear exhaust gasses escaping out of the section with the pipe that is replacing the resonator. would that cause the major hesiation, it's taking off as if it's not hitting all 6 cylinders, probably not even 5, it puts and shakes from the puts that it does from acceleration, sorry if this doesn't make any sense, but i'm in a hurry typing this and need to have this fixed by tonight or sunday the latest. This morning when i started it up the light didn't flash it just stayed on, and it was the same color still.

i'm thinking it could be one or some of the following:
*plugs
*wires
*cap
*pipe that replaced the resonator that wasn't welded in, just fitted and clamped with the "U bolts"
*God getting me back for something i did that i shouldn't have done.

Oh and the engine seems pretty hot, hotter than normal lately, but the temp gauge reeds between the O and the R on the gauge. And when i listen to the engine from under the hood, it sounds fine, but when i rev it, it sounds like it's more from the exhaust and it kinda vibrates (a loose vibration, or a shake if you wanna call it that) Need help soon, sorry to put the pressure on but i need some advice quick.

My Fellow CEG'ers please me

Rahmel

I'M RICK JAMES BITC#!!!!!!!!!!!!
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I believe the owner's manual says that if the CEL is flashing, it indicates a misfire; one or more spark plugs has been detected as not firing properly. How many miles to you have on your plugs? It could be bad plugs, wires, or coil. The CEL light is yellow; it doesn't change color.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Go to an Auto Zone and have the CEL read...that will point you in the right direction more than a bunch of guys tossing "fix-it" ideas at you....

there are a number of CEL codes..much more than a single misfire...

Last edited by mcgainer; 06/27/03 01:22 PM.
R
Rahmel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Beachboy:
I believe the owner's manual says that if the CEL is flashing, it indicates a misfire; one or more spark plugs has been detected as not firing properly. How many miles to you have on your plugs? It could be bad plugs, wires, or coil. The CEL light is yellow; it doesn't change color.

thanks for the reply Beachboy and mcgainer. Beachboy, i have 52k miles on the car, and when i got the car, it had 33k but i don't know when the owner replaced them or if they have been replaced ever, the wires are dark grey and look like they could be OEM (factory). We have a Autozone, Advance Auto parts and NAPA all within one mile from eachother and it's right around the corner from my house, which one should i go to? Should i go to all 3? and final question, is this "check" that they do free? if not how much?

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Auto Zone doesn't charge you anything for diagnosis so if I were you I would take it there. Good luck man.

Irfan Rahim irfman2000@yahoo.com 2006 Blue Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Former owner of a silver 2000 Contour SE Sport ATX
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
AAP and AZ do this as a free service. They plug the scanner in and read the codes. Try to get them to give you the exact codes numbers. These will be in the format of of PXXXX where XXXX is a 4 digit number for all 96 and newer cars.

As far as which one to go to, it's your choice.

Write down the exact code numbers (this is important, not just the descriptions of the codes) and post them here for analysis.

Do not purchase any parts from the store unless you are convinced that the parts store person knows what he/she is talking about. An ASE Certification badge is a good hint of what to look for.

The exhaust leak is not the cause of the CEL or any drivability problems.

Check BOTH cooling fans for operation with the AC on.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Wouldn't CEL be triggered by just being low on gas ?

Kirill 98.5 Silver Frost Contour SE Sport (powered by Duratec) traded for 01 Audi A6 2.7T in September 04. Some stuff for sale in classifiends: http://www.contour.org/classifieds/classifieds.php?t=1&c=1
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Kirill:
Wouldn't CEL be triggered by just being low on gas?

No. Your CEL is not a gas gauge. Although it might be triggered if you run OUT of gas.

96 Contour SE Duratec V6 24-valve 2.5L ATX 108,000 mi. Replaced: crankshaft w/ DMD, EGR valve (clogged), EVR, DPFE, PCV valve, evap emissions hose & tube (cracked), window regulator (broken), LH & RH PCV tubes, UIM gasket (leak), ignition coil
R
Rahmel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
R
ok, well, i'm gonna go up to both places, they are right next too eachother, and see if they come up with the same thing. So when i go up there just keep note of what the PXXXX code is right, just that nothing else? What could be the cause of this just by guessing? So far i've come up with maybe it's a fuel pump (where is that by the way?) or plugs, or wires. Cause it feels like i'm only on 4 or 5 cylinders, i was low on gas when it happened my gas light was on but i don't see why that would cause the light to come on and the car to stutter (hesitate) in accelerations. I didn't drive it to work today just for safety reasons but all together i drove it about 5 miles (happened half way home) and haven't drove it since.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Don't bother guessing, just go get the codes read.

Chances are, the first store will reset the codes anyway, so only go to one.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard