Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
This is getting rediculous! To get 50psi, why don't you just get a 20mm throttle body?

How about twin turbos? Just hook the turbines up to the wheels. that way your speed would be dependent on rmps and you could get rid of the tranny all together. That would reduce weight too.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Non-Intercooled has more chance of detonation since the air going into the engine is hotter than on a intercooled setup. We're talking over 200F air temps going into your engine. Intercooled the air temps could be as low a 20F over ambient air temps.

So just upping the boost would be cheaper than getting an intercooler, you could only up it a few psi and dyno tune it to get the proper A/F and timing retard so the engine would survive.

On a stock Zetec you could only run around 8 psi non-interooled and even do that only with a properly tuned fuel and timing. Intercooled you could run up to 15 psi,I'm hoping anyway, and the air temps would be the same at 8psi all the way to 15. And you'll see more power at the same boost intercooled vs non intercooled.

Soon as I go to Streetflight, I'll let you know just how much a stock Zetec can take.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Oeneus:
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
$800? It sounds soooo much cheaper to just add two more pounds of boost instead...

Boost (and power) cost money. It depends on how long you want your engine to last. An intercooler will help your engine last longer, and let you run more boost.

"Let you run more boost"? How? What I'm getting from the other replies is that the only real difference it makes at a given power level (for a given total air mass packed into the cylinder, that is) is the detonation issue.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
More boost=more heat, more chance of it detonating and blowing up your engine. Exactly how much boost depends on your engine's compression ratio, gas octane, timing, etc...

Allows you to run more power cause the cooler air charge allows you to cram more air into a given volume at the same psi vs hot air. More air+more fuel=more power.

2000 Rio Red I4 Cougar 200whp & 210wtq at 9psi 254whp & 276wtq with NX 35shot WRX TD04 Turbo, Cut Short Shifter, Strut Tower Bar, 17" ZN Wheels, Roush Springs, Starion Intercooler, NX 35 shot, HKS SS BOV, Full 3" exhaust,StreetFlight Chip
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by The Ripper:
This is getting rediculous! To get 50psi, why don't you just get a 20mm throttle body?

How about twin turbos? Just hook the turbines up to the wheels. that way your speed would be dependent on rmps and you could get rid of the tranny all together. That would reduce weight too.

i was just kidding

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Too much boost = blown head gasket

I was toying with a Honda on my way to work last Friday...it sounded something like this:
squeel, vroom, whoosh, shift, squeel, vroom, whoosh, POP!, sputter, shake, puke, silence.

Good thing is I've gotten good at changing head gaskets. Took me about 4 hours to do the whole job .

Running at 21psi, I was just asking for trouble. It was way out of the stock turbo's effiency and was just super-heating the air. Turned it down to 18psi after the head gasket and it feels just as fast if not faster.

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Seawulf:
Allows you to run more power cause the cooler air charge allows you to cram more air into a given volume at the same psi vs hot air. More air+more fuel=more power.

I know, that's why I specified at the same power, or the same air mass, not at the same PSI.

For context, I should mention that I'm only thinking about moderate boost levels, as I have no intention of indulging in new engine internals or a stronger tranny.

I'm still not convinced that spending $800 on an intercooler is the most cost-effective way to handle detonation.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
There really isn't a more effective way.

What do you think really?

Water injection? Its a bandaid mostly and the water takes up room in the combustion chamber that could be filled with air and fuel. Combustion temps are also down and that helps to a large degree for detonation but less temp means less power. It still doesn't really increase the density of the air charge that much either. Less power, but safer than stock.

Well I can always pull more timing...
well yes you can but that causes exhaust temps to go up which heat the compressor side more which causes you to pull more timing...etc. Vicious little circle and it LOSES power everytime you pull it. Whats the gain there? Better to run less boost and more timing for a more responsive, powerful and fuel efficient motor.

Here's the secret to power -> MAX air and FUEL!!!
That leaves you with only two options:
1.) raise the boost to force more in -> Good if you intercool it to keep charge density up and detonation down.
2.) raise the amount of air going in at the same pressure -> this basically means to open up the size of the intake passages and exhaust; raise displacement or a combination of all three.

#2 is the best way but costs the most. Much more than an $800+ intecooler system.

#1 is good if the efficiency range of the turbo is observed.

#1 and #2 is great if you observe all factors.

So how is $800 too expensive? With a turbo it can net you anywhere from 20 to 50 more HP! That is the best bang for the buck mod if you are already turbocharged. Hell, a good set of headers and exhaust on our cars MIGHT make 20-30HP or so... For about the same price if not more, + labor is more for the headers.

Ok, I've said my piece.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by warmonger:
There really isn't a more effective way.

There are a few options you haven't discussed here, like compression ratio, and for that matter fuel octane.

Well I can always pull more timing...
well yes you can but that causes exhaust temps to go up which heat the compressor side more which causes you to pull more timing...etc.

This assumes that I'm planning to use a turbo. I'm not.

So how is $800 too expensive? With a turbo it can net you anywhere from 20 to 50 more HP!

20 to 50 more than what? If I'm sticking with stock internals and tranny, the upper limit on power is already set in advance. If an intercooled turbo can get 250 HP and a non-intercooled compressor can only give me 200, what does it matter if I'm limited to 200 anyway by the tranny? My only concern is with what's the affordable way to get to around 200. Lots of people run single-digit amounts of boost without intercoolers and don't die of detonation, right?

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Quote:

There are a few options you haven't discussed here, like compression ratio, and for that matter fuel octane.

Compression ratio? YOu think changing compression ratio is cost effective? Do you think its a little dial on the dash? COme on, besides, you said:

Quote:

as I have no intention of indulging in new engine internals or a stronger tranny.

Continuing

Quote:

This assumes that I'm planning to use a turbo. I'm not.

And what do you plan on using? a bag of day old muffins? Any otto cycle combustion engine (among others), will run higher exhaust temps as you decrease engine timing, more of the combustion is happening later in the cycle, this can actually get bad enough to "burn" an exhaust valve, or even melt a header in extreme cases. On the high dynamic compression ratio of a forced induction engine, proper timing becomes critical, too much brings detonation, too little brings EGT's to hotter than the flames of hell.

Quote:

20 to 50 more than what? If I'm sticking with stock internals and tranny, the upper limit on power is already set in advance.

If you are honestly that concerned about a given power level, you really shouldn't consider increasing the power level over stock. No, I am NOT kidding. The stock powertrain components are designed to handle the, gasp, stock, power levels, not ones from a boosted application. Now, by the grace of god, and the existence of design factor of safety, we can get away with some power increases on stock components, for awhile. Increased power over stock, by any amount, will increase loading and wear on all critical and non-critical components leading to failure earlier than originally designed for. This is the EXACT reason why increasing power on a vehicle by any more than a very small amount (say 10% or so) WILL get your powertrain warranty voided rather quickly, and sometimes other parts of the warranty as well.

Quote:

If an intercooled turbo can get 250 HP and a non-intercooled compressor can only give me 200, what does it matter if I'm limited to 200 anyway by the tranny?

Intercooling will decrease temperatures in the intake charge, ultimately reducing exhaust temps by the same amount, allowing for a better tune, including more optimized fuel maps (read better fuel economy for the same power, and better emissions) and timing maps (smoother running, less prone to detonation without increasing exhaust temps further) For someone so concerned about durability of your trans, you don't seem to care about the life of your engine very much.

Quote:

My only concern is with what's the affordable way to get to around 200.

If you wanna play, you gotta pay. In all honesty, if what you want is more, and reliable power, sell your car and buy one that has more power stock. Your priorities are out of whack, you are terribly concerned about the amount of hp to go through your trans, and are ready to sacrifice the life of your motor to do it.

Quote:

Lots of people run single-digit amounts of boost without intercoolers and don't die of detonation, right?

Yup, and most of those throw in copius amounts of excess fuel to cool the intake charge (sort of like water injection). Most OEM's lean on this one heavily for factory forced induction vehicles; you should see the A/F curve for an 03 Cobra at WOT, its pretty fat, and that car even HAS an intercooler. But you can rest assured they are addressing the issue in some manner, even if it isn't the right way.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard