Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#675659 06/27/03 12:20 AM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Is there any difference in engine durability between an intercooled and a non-intercooled FI setup, at the same horsepower?

Intuitively I would think that there'd be very little difference in pressure or temperature after ignition, which is when all the stress is.

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
non-intercooled "boost" is far more detonation prone than intercooled "boost" for a given pressure level on a given engine.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:
Is there any difference in engine durability between an intercooled and a non-intercooled FI setup, at the same horsepower?

Intuitively I would think that there'd be very little difference in pressure or temperature after ignition, which is when all the stress is.

Ha!
Difference???? Absolutely none, nope no difference. I'd really know about that one.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Tom ran around here in Texas with a non ic'ed 3Ltc for like 5 years before it gave him ANY trouble

hehe, just giving you a hard time, dude, Tom, there's someone from Kileen, TX looking for you in the southcentral forums, I told 'em you might be around for a bit. . .

Off the topic, are you still planning a July 4th weekend thing up there??? If it's fridayish, I might convince the misses to come up, or maybe I could convince her that I "need" to go to Kileen for a bit, check your baby out, now that's she's purrin' nice and sweet. . .

O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by Paul Kienitz:

But colder intake temps will help you better control WHEN ignition happens. Hotter air (which happens when you compress it) will ignite easier. If it is igniting too soon, then you will have problems with detonation, which will definatly affect durability.

Contour--It will make a master mechanic out of you! 95 LX MTX Bolt-ons 95 Neon SOHC ATX 77 Dodge Powerwagon-more displacement than my Neon, Contour, and wife's Saturn---combined!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
On Friday night there is a Test-n-Tune and an import shootout. However, they wont let me race in the import shootout because I have a Ford
So that means I have to race the tricked out mustangs, camaro's and firebirds...meaning I'll loose.
They have a fun-n-grudge match on Saturday that I think is bracket racing, but I'm checking to make sure. If that is the case, anyone with consistent times could possibly win.
That would work out well for me since Friday is the 4th and I don't think I'd get a big turnout because of it.
I don't mind either night, but lets talk to people and see which night is preferable.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
So if I apply non-intercooled boost to an engine with a compression ratio of 11.5, I'll have to use 129 octane fuel.

Maybe a mix of methanol and diesel would work.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
So how much does an intercooler add to the cost?

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Depends on what it costs for you to buy it.
A streetflight unit will probably run you ~$800 for everything. It's worth it though, you could spend $800 on mods for your car and not get as much power as you would from the denser air provided by the intercooler.
Ever drive your car on a cool morning and then drive it on a hot afternoon the same day? Notice how much more powerfull it was in the morning? Thats denser air, just what an intercooler will do for you. People will talk all the talk about bigger filters and MAF's and whatever, but ask anyone and they'll always agree that a cool morning probably yields better results than a warm day with all those mods.

Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
Originally posted by warmonger:
On Friday night there is a Test-n-Tune and an import shootout. However, they wont let me race in the import shootout because I have a Ford
So that means I have to race the tricked out mustangs, camaro's and firebirds...meaning I'll loose.
They have a fun-n-grudge match on Saturday that I think is bracket racing, but I'm checking to make sure. If that is the case, anyone with consistent times could possibly win.
That would work out well for me since Friday is the 4th and I don't think I'd get a big turnout because of it.
I don't mind either night, but lets talk to people and see which night is preferable.

Put a temporary Mondeo badge on it on race nights .

Nick Johnson 87' & 88' Thunderbird TC 96' Contour SE Midnight Red ATX
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard