Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
HAHA!!! Fake badges! How repulsively ricey!

I think I'll put twin-turbo, V-12, & AWD badges on my 'Tour, that'll add about 1200 HP to it & an 8 second quarter mile will be easy - even with ATX!

funny!

At any rate (poor english), I haven't looked for the fuel filter, but I saw a post that said it's under the car near the right rear wheel. I picked up a fuel filter last night, & just got back from another AP store with fresh plugs. I'll grab a TB gasket at the dealer in the morning, since I'll be there to pick up some parts for my mothers car.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
HAHA!!! Fake badges! How repulsively ricey!

I think I'll put twin-turbo, V-12, & AWD badges on my 'Tour, that'll add about 1200 HP to it & an 8 second quarter mile will be easy - even with ATX!

funny!

But see, that's the GREAT part about it ? Most MB owners are so snooty, they have their noses 10 feet in the air. So here's a guy who spends 1/10th of what they did, who drinks beer out of the bottle driving the same car,(almost) but with the $130K cars badges ! It's awesome ! All of a sudden you're 'one of them' and making fun of them and they don't even know it. If they knew I was a hot rodder, car racer, beer drinker, champagne hater with a re-badged Benz they'd go fruit. And it also pokes fun at the ricers with all their doo-dads on the 90 hp Civics with their 3 foot wings and ground scraping front air dams. Life is good, now if I could only get my 4 cyl Ford to quit bucking, life would be perfect.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K

At any rate (poor english), I haven't looked for the fuel filter, but I saw a post that said it's under the car near the right rear wheel. I picked up a fuel filter last night, & just got back from another AP store with fresh plugs. I'll grab a TB gasket at the dealer in the morning, since I'll be there to pick up some parts for my mothers car.

Here's something interesting I came across on the MSN "find out how reliable your car is" site. The 99 Ford Contour w/the 2.0 liter Zetec was rated 2nd highest for problems, with this addendum;

An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the variable camshaft timing solenoid and/or sprocket.(2.0l Zetec Only)The cost to repair the variable camshaft timing solenoid and/or sprocket is estimated to range from approximately $244.00 to $636.00 for the parts and $175.00 labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

I wonder if this could be our problem ???

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
we have been having the bucking problem for a while now, changed numerous items including fuel filter, battery, egr valve, ect... goes away and comes back. uaually goes away after adding a fuel injection cleaner and it is only noticeable when the tank is low on fuel...my question is this: I see that a few people have suggested changing the fuel pump or cleaning the screen. Has anyone done this? Did it fix the problem. From reading I don't see that anyone has tried the fuel pump.

(%

Whooosh?
#674755 07/12/03 08:12 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Mr. Ed:
we have been having the bucking problem for a while now, ... only noticeable when the tank is low on fuel ...my question is this: I see that a few people have suggested changing the fuel pump or cleaning the screen. Has anyone done this? Did it fix the problem. From reading I don't see that anyone has tried the fuel pump. %

Thanks for the suggestion, but the item above in bold is the difference. My problem is all the time, full tank or empty, & it nearly disappears at WOT. A bad/clogged fuel pump would likely not do that. Additionally, I like to try the less expensive & easy stuff before I dawn my mechanics fatigues.

My problem turned out to be the double platinum plugs. I either got two bad sets in a row, or my car just does not like them. I installed a set of OE single platinum plugs & it has been flawless since.

I must confess that I may have toasted the first set of double plats by having my plug wires hooked up wrong. My second set, however, came with a new set of plug wires & I was VERY meticulous about how everthing went together, so no excuses there.

To the rest of you, check your plug wires:

fire wall
-------------
coil pack:
465 <-------- ** pay particular attention here - I got dyslexic **

Engine cylinders:

Good luck everybody! Be sure to post when you all solve your bucking/hesitation problems.

By the way, when I got this figured out, I had not yet installed a new fuel filter, so it wasn't that. I'll be installing the filter later this weekend.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I remember reading that review before I bought my V-6. I don't think the Duratecs have that variable timing thingy - do they guys?

#674757 07/13/03 07:24 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Been two days now. Still running sweet!

#674758 07/14/03 03:49 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K

Thanks for the suggestion, but the item above in bold is the difference. My problem is all the time, full tank or empty, & it nearly disappears at WOT. A bad/clogged fuel pump would likely not do that. Additionally, I like to try the less expensive & easy stuff before I dawn my mechanics fatigues.

My problem turned out to be the double platinum plugs. I either got two bad sets in a row, or my car just does not like them. I installed a set of OE single platinum plugs & it has been flawless since.

I must confess that I may have toasted the first set of double plats by having my plug wires hooked up wrong. My second set, however, came with a new set of plug wires & I was VERY meticulous about how everthing went together, so no excuses there.

To the rest of you, check your plug wires:

fire wall
-------------
coil pack:
465 <-------- ** pay particular attention here - I got dyslexic **

Engine cylinders:

Good luck everybody! Be sure to post when you all solve your bucking/hesitation problems.

By the way, when I got this figured out, I had not yet installed a new fuel filter, so it wasn't that. I'll be installing the filter later this weekend.

I was thinking this morning the very same thing. I almost brought it this AM and dropped it off at the Ford dealer with instructions to "Fix it no matter WHAT". But I thought I would first ask what plugs are in it from the factory ? I NEVER had these problems prior to switching out the plugs. I put Autolite dbl plts in and a couple weeks later she started missing. On someone's suggestion here I replaced the plugs with another set of Autolite dbl plats and the problem went away for 3 days, but then returned with a vengeance. So on the way home I'll get what you got and R+R my set. I just have to believe that it's plugs, not the fuel filter, not the MAF, not the DPFE, nothing but the plugs. And maybe the plugs themselves aren't bad until they go into a Zetec motor ? I dunno, but I do know that I will not use them again. Thanks for all your input, I'll keep my fingers crossed that your problem stays away for good, adios.

#674759 07/14/03 05:15 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Been two days now. Still running sweet!

FYI; !!!! The Ford dealer said "with the style of ignition system in the Zetec, the plugs can CERTAINLY cause 'bucking or misfiring'. So if any of you are having this problem, and have anything other than the factory style plugs, IE; Autolite double platinums, CHANGE THEM OUT. I went to Schucks to buy my plugs and they pushed the Autolite dbl plt on me because they're $4 each. Fortunately I saved my receipt and I'll go get my money back, for one set at least. But even if I couldn't, if this fixes the problem and I almost guarantee it will, I would have spent thousands elsewhere. Ken

#674760 07/14/03 09:03 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K

AHA ! According to the Ford parts guy (NOT the service guy, he's a SpEd) "the Zetec (and possibly the Duratec too?) takes a special fine wire plug. It will fire under low voltage whereas the non OE plugs won't", which is why at WOT my car ran fine, and at part throttle and at idle it would miss. Un-FREEKIN-believable !!! All this stress and work and talking and asking, and it's nothing but the plugs. So to any of you experiencing bucking who have just changed their plugs, go IMMEDIATELY to your local Ford dealer and get the specific plug for your application. The parts guy said "you'll see the catalog number is extremely long because there are many specific plugs for some of these Ford engines". It may not help you all, but I'm betting it will help alot of you. Good luck, Ken 99 SE Zetec

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard