Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Sigh, $tealerships...

I did get a second set of plugs & plug wires from a different parts store & the symptom is identical.

I opened up my IMRC (might have been a mistake since the thing was VERY well weather sealed). There appears to be nothing in there that could get messed up by moving it around - An electric motor, some gears, a circuit board & the cable coming in. I thought the IMRC might be cracking the secondaries open a bit when I started the car, I'll need to get my frau to help with this test so I can check/feel for any movement of the linkage. Kinda makes sense since the symptom is most noticeable when the engine is warmed up.

I moved the cable a bit to get it over the engine lift loop instead of under the notch, but I don't think that will help. A while back I did a TB clean & didn't replace my TB gasket with the new one. I'll try sticking the TB gasket on & re-checking the EGR valve to make sure its not ruptured. I'm also going to check the DPFE vacuum hoses to be sure those are snug. This is really making me crazy.

I'm trying like hell to islolate items before I start replacing parts. Sometimes I just feel like bringing it to the dealer & have them plug it into their computer so I can see what is going on with all the various parts. Maybe I can invest in one of those diagnostic programs for my PC.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Sigh, $tealerships...

I did get a second set of plugs & plug wires from a different parts store & the symptom is identical.

I opened up my IMRC (might have been a mistake since the thing was VERY well weather sealed). There appears to be nothing in there that could get messed up by moving it around - An electric motor, some gears, a circuit board & the cable coming in. I thought the IMRC might be cracking the secondaries open a bit when I started the car, I'll need to get my frau to help with this test so I can check/feel for any movement of the linkage. Kinda makes sense since the symptom is most noticeable when the engine is warmed up.

I moved the cable a bit to get it over the engine lift loop instead of under the notch, but I don't think that will help. A while back I did a TB clean & didn't replace my TB gasket with the new one. I'll try sticking the TB gasket on & re-checking the EGR valve to make sure its not ruptured. I'm also going to check the DPFE vacuum hoses to be sure those are snug. This is really making me crazy.

I'm trying like hell to islolate items before I start replacing parts. Sometimes I just feel like bringing it to the dealer & have them plug it into their computer so I can see what is going on with all the various parts. Maybe I can invest in one of those diagnostic programs for my PC.

Well I have my fingers crossed that you'll find the problem, and believe me, I will do the same for you. Thanks for your input, I'm sorry but I have no idea what IMRC means. But it sounds like you do and it sounds like something I won't mess with. But I've tried the Ford dealer, they couldn't find anything after hooking it up on their diagnostic machine, Ken 99 SE hot rod.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
No luck yet.

Fuel filter & a replacement MAF are in my sights. (sigh) This is such a nice car when running well.

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
No luck yet.

Fuel filter & a replacement MAF are in my sights. (sigh) This is such a nice car when running well.

Yes it's pretty easy to see why this car in it's Mondeo form is so popular in Europe. Why will americans flock to european cars like crazy, but then turn their nose up at a european car that says Contour on it ? Our car has been a blast to have, it's quick enough to make you grin, it'll go around corners fast enough to scare you, is a very attractive package and gets 30 mpg. But if I can't get a handle on this bucking I'll drop a set of plugs in her and trade it for a Benz, you can buy a 5 year old, $90,000 car for less than $20,000 nowadays. Low miles, immaculate condition, the whole nine yards. But I'd prefer to keep the little Tour, it has been dead reliable and like I said, it's fun to drive and just different enough so you don't look like every other friggin Civic with a fart pipe and wheels on it driving on every street in america. "Oh gosh how original, I see you have a Honda, wow, you don't see those evryday now do you ?" HAHAHAHA, Ken

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You might want to re-consider the Benz idea. I've seen data on their lack of reliability that is kinda scary.

I personally like Jags - especially now that the retro styling makes them look so sweet. I have not done much reliability research on them, but I can get hold of '99 XJ8s for under $25,000. I'll put up with some gremlins to drive one of those.

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
You might want to re-consider the Benz idea. I've seen data on their lack of reliability that is kinda scary.

I personally like Jags - especially now that the retro styling makes them look so sweet. I have not done much reliability research on them, but I can get hold of '99 XJ8s for under $25,000. I'll put up with some gremlins to drive one of those.

My wife likes the Jag too, and it is her car. But I have had great luck with my previous MB's. And one time I was stopped dead on the freeway in my 420 SEL in the snow because there was a wreck in front of me. And a full sized Ford pick-up hit me over at 60 miles per hour. It cost $13,000 to fix the car but I walked away unscathed, and it didn't even bend the frame. Those cars are engineered like no other car on earth. And believe it or not, for under $20K you can buy a mid-to late 90's car with factory warranty left on them. I'm looking at a 95 S-500 with 66K miles. The dealer is asking only $23K and I offered him $15K. But we'll meet somewhere in the middle. But everytime a mechanic lifts the hood of a Benz, you can count on a thousand dollar bill. But they don't lift the hood very often, they are remarkably well built. Personal preference I guess, I just like the way the Benz looks. Don't get me wrong, the Jags are gorgeous, they're just smaller and I'm 6' 5" and 230 pounds, so I like big cars. No, don't ask how I drive the Tour, cause I don't very often, my wife is 5' 1" and 110.

N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
well, i have the same problem. and here is the list of what i replaced.

first get a obdII test done. i bet u will get a misfire in one of your cylinders.

ive replaced the plugs 4 times, 2 sets of wires.
plugs fixed problem for couple of days so maybe i thought i was over tighting the plugs. got a torque wrech and made sure i didnt. and the problem was immediate on the last plug change.

changed ignition coil.
changed injectors.
gutted precats thought i had a pluged precats.

changed main cat.

spent a total of over 800 dollars tryting to fix this stupid ass problem. with still no luck. im about to clean the maf right now. wish me luck. hey if u wanna talk some more about his problem contact me with a pm or my aim name is ws3912

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson. Why do you need the cats when u have dogs 04 WRX - TOTALED 3-5-05 Previoius Owned: 96 Contour LX with svt kit
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Of all the MBs you could have chosen, the 420 SEL is one of my favorites although I've never owned a Mercedes. I like big cars too, & the styling of that one, in particular, appeals to me. I've owned an 81 and 88 Grand Marquis - I really loved those V-8s. I put nearly 200,000 on each before I let them go. It is interesting to note that the V-8 cars got better fuel economy than my 2.7 BMW or my 1.3 RX-7, the RX-7 being the worst.

On to the Tour. I changed the MAF - no improvement. I am going to change the plugs yet again & put in a new fuel filter, tonight.

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by NITROS:
well, i have the same problem. and here is the list of what i replaced.

first get a obdII test done. i bet u will get a misfire in one of your cylinders.

ive replaced the plugs 4 times, 2 sets of wires.
plugs fixed problem for couple of days so maybe i thought i was over tighting the plugs. got a torque wrech and made sure i didnt. and the problem was immediate on the last plug change.

changed ignition coil.
changed injectors.
gutted precats thought i had a pluged precats.

changed main cat.

spent a total of over 800 dollars tryting to fix this stupid ass problem. with still no luck. im about to clean the maf right now. wish me luck. hey if u wanna talk some more about his problem contact me with a pm or my aim name is ws3912

Well if it's any consolation, I feel for ya. Your problem sure sounds exactly like mine. When I use premium gas it bucks less. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's not. Warmer weather seems to make it worse, but not always. Sometimes it will 'miss' at idle, but never, ever at wide open throttle. It's worse with the a/c on. I put in new plugs, and it goes away for a couple days. I would put in the old plugs that I first removed but I threw them away, they were in bad shape, but it didn't buck. And of course, no CEL ever. And it wouldn't buck for the service guy at the local Ford dealership. But it bucked on the way home from there. I've called and talked the the service mgr several times. He has never heard of anyone having this problem. On the Ford truck board there is a whole group of people with this problem, and they say it's the DPFE. I'm lost,,,,,,

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
I am going to change the plugs yet again & put in a new fuel filter, tonight.

Where is it ? How is it changed ? I want to try this too.

As far as the Benz goes, you really ought to just shop around a little and see what they go for, you'd be surprised how cheap they are. I had 560 SEL badges on my 420, I put 560 SEC badges on my 380 SEC. I'm going to put S-600 badges on the S-320. They're fun cars because a 10 year old one that you spent $15K for looks like a new, $100K car.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard