Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Well given my response was to the post above me and not yours. Might that clear it up better for you. For the record I'm not of the opinion that this happens to all Tours. However again the post I was responding to has classic symtoms. If you read through the whole post you probably noticed my problem has turned out to be the secondaries being pinned open. To think some people do it on purpose. In your case I don't recall did you say you did your fuel filter yet? Or your plugs? Failing those 2 items I would move to the ignition coil (less probable but could make sense) or the MAF. By replacing your plugs you get some great spark from the new ones that may mask your symptons temporaily leading me to guess that your problem never has gone away yet.

No I have not looked into the fuel filter issue yet. But yes, with new fresh plugs the problem alleviates for a couple days. With premium fuel it bucks less than with reg. When the engine is cold she bucks not. Until I changed out the original plugs at 85K it never, ever missed a beat in it's life. It bucks more with the a/c on. It never misses at any throttle position other than 10-35%-ish. Once the Atx kicks down on the freeway it's smooth as ever. The dealer said; "uh, duh, I put it on the diagnostic machine, but it says everything is OK. And you didn't have a Cel did you" ? (it's a scary to see where mechanics are heading these days. I doubt one of them could do a standard tune-up on a non-compter car anymore) I had our Ranger pick-up in the shop 5 different times to 3 different Ford dealers because it pinged ALL the time. Do you think those idiots could figure it out ? HA !!! Finally the service manager pulls me aside like he's going to give me some giant revelation or tell me a state secret and says "uh, look, my 95 1/2 ton pick-up does exactly the same thing. And I've never been able to figure it out either, I just turn the radio up". After I got over my disbelief I couldn't do anything but hang my head and walk away. So this forum seems to be the only chance to remedy this problem. But I believe you are correct, the new plugs only masks the problem, not cures it. So I need to make the next logical step down the path to repair. I will look at the MAF and then try the coil. I also read of the DPFE going bad in lots and lots of Fords. I have also read of the O2 sensor needing replacement. So I will go after some of those first as I have no idea where the DPFE is or what it looks like. But thanks for your help even if it wasn't directly to my post, I have never been shy about chiming in. Whether to ask for help or to offer it, Ken

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
No problem. With my last bout of bucking. Before last winter. I turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. If there is no code then I'd still be inclinded to look at the maf first.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by mbb41:
No problem. With my last bout of bucking. Before last winter. I turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. If there is no code then I'd still be inclinded to look at the maf first.

Yes thank you, I will. I think I will try the MAF, the O2, check for an air leak in the intake and pull the screen out of the fuel filter. Those all seem to be the simplest and most likely. And contrary to most males natures, instead of rebuilding the engine first, I will start with the simplest items, then move forward, Hee Hee, Ken.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Let us know if the MAF helps.

My problem has returned, so it was not the TPS (I unplugged it), IAC (I isolated it by plugging the air hose), or a leak in the intake gasket. I also replace the IAC & EGR valve gaskets, the plugs & wires again. I also replaced the coil pack, now I have a spare.

I wanted to change the fuel filter & install a fuel pressure gauge next. I will also try to find a way to bypass the MAF or get a substitute from somewhere to see if that makes a difference.

(sigh) This is driving me NUTZ!!!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Let us know if the MAF helps.

My problem has returned, so it was not the TPS (I unplugged it), IAC (I isolated it by plugging the air hose), or a leak in the intake gasket. I also replace the IAC & EGR valve gaskets, the plugs & wires again. I also replaced the coil pack, now I have a spare.

I wanted to change the fuel filter & install a fuel pressure gauge next. I will also try to find a way to bypass the MAF or get a substitute from somewhere to see if that makes a difference.

(sigh) This is driving me NUTZ!!!

Does your problem go away temporarily when you swap out the plugs for new Autolites (or whatever) ? Mine will, in fact mine never started until I changed the plugs. Anyone have this problem ? Ken 99 SE Zetec Atx.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Mine started after I changed the plugs too. But I did not go away with the second set. I do sometimes manage to get it to go away if I reset the PCM, but it is back the next time I start up.

Because of the plug coincidence, I am beginning to suspect the IMRC because that is the only other thing I touched really. I moved it aside & turned it upside-down while I did the change.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I've had a bucking problem for a few months now, but it's ONLY when I let off the gas, mainly between 2-3K rpms. Could that still be the fuel pump? I have new plugs and wires. New fuel filter. The bucking gets REALLY bad when I take the O/D off. Makes a rumbling/burbling almost muted V8 w/ headers sound, but not quite, obviously (especially when going down a hill). Could this be the transmission? The fluid is a bit overdue to be changed. I had to wait for my tranny cooler and shift kit to get here. I can't figure it out. It did stall on me once when it was cold and I pulled out going uphill. Anyone else experience this?

02 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, FULLY LOADED Old car- 99 SE Sport ATX w/ SVT body kit (for sale...asking $4,200 OBO), nicely modded, high-flow exhaust y-pipe back and KKM. 95K, but 95% are interstate highway miles back and forth to college everyday.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I've never seen it, but you may have a moose problem. Have you done the "Throttle Hang" fix? Check the "How To" section & the "Common Problems" area to check this out. It may give you some ideas about what problem you may have.

Have you checked to see if your KKM imploded? Just a guess on my part, but they have been known to do that.

R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
No, it's not the old moose. It did it even when I had the CTA intake pipe installed. I thought too that it might have been the KKM because my last one had a small tear in it, so I got a used one in good condition. It SEEMED to go away for about a day and then it came back. I noticed earlier today that when I'm just cruising along at around 2-3K, if I hit the pedal real quick it kicks down pretty rough. I guess that could be a sign of the tranny fluid in need of a good changing. Could also be my Superchip. Just got it reprogrammed last year. This seemed to happen not too long after I reinstalled it. It's clean and in there as good as it gets, so maybe someone at Superchips messed up my shift points somehow. I guess tomorrow I'm finally going to try and remove it, reset the computer and see what happens w/o it installed.

02 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE, FULLY LOADED Old car- 99 SE Sport ATX w/ SVT body kit (for sale...asking $4,200 OBO), nicely modded, high-flow exhaust y-pipe back and KKM. 95K, but 95% are interstate highway miles back and forth to college everyday.
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Mine started after I changed the plugs too. But I did not go away with the second set. I do sometimes manage to get it to go away if I reset the PCM, but it is back the next time I start up.

Because of the plug coincidence, I am beginning to suspect the IMRC because that is the only other thing I touched really. I moved it aside & turned it upside-down while I did the change.

I did the same, swapped out plugs again, the problem went away for 3 days, then returned. IMRC ? Please elaborate, I was thinking maybe bad plug wires. Have you made that change ? I just gotta think it's something in the ignition system. I had no stuttering, I changed plugs, had stuttering, changed plugs had no stuttering for a couple days, then it returned. But maybe as somehere who seems to be quite a bit more knowledgeable than I said, the new plugs just mask the problem. And I believe he's correct. But I have stock airbox, stock exhaust, the only mod I have engine wise is a Borla style, stainless steel muffler. So, yes, I am frustrated, if only our local Ford dealers cared about us (I mean other than when a sleazebag salesguy walks through the service area and says "my that's a pretty Tour, I have a list of people wanting to buy our good, used Tour trades. You probably are wanting to trade that old, used up Contour on a new Taurus wagon aren't ya" ?) Ken 99 SE

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard