Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I will definitely check this out ... thx

K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
ummmm...hate to be the "bearer of bad tidings" but I had the same problems that everyone here is discussing.....then the car literally died on the highway!! It started with the small bucking, then it became more and more frequent until the car began bucking and stalling getting onto the highway monday morning. After 5 days (and countless calls) I was told that the fuel pump was shot. One of the techs at the dealership was curious....did I always try to coax "extra mileage" out of the car when the low fuel light came on? I said I did, and on a regular basis, as everyone knows how pessimistic our fuel guages are. He said he wasn't positive, but that it could have been a contributing factor in my fuel pumps demise(with the fuel sloshing around a nearly empty tank, it does make some sense;a dry fuel pump pick-up is not a good thing). He also mentioned something about the pick-up screen that is on the pump itself(which I don't think I could get to with my "returnless" 2000)And believe me, i tried EVERYTHING you guys had done, short of ripping the engine apart, to address the problem.

Hmmm, this doesn't sound all that positive but to my knowledge our 'low fuel light' has been on 2 or 3 times. My wife drives the Tour 99% of the time. I have the E-350, 15 pass, V-10 Club Wagon Econoline, and I don't need no stinking bucking, hahaha. But seriously you know how women are, the tank never gets below 1/4 full, ever. So it's doubtful that this is my problem, but possible. So let's see; it could be the throttle position sensor, the DPFE, a leak in the air inlet, the MAF, the O2 sensor, what else ? Yowzers, it's never easy is it ? This problem seems to be prevalent in all small Ford engines. I-4's, V-6's of various sizes and others according to the DPFE site I visited. So it seems if we find a common part in all these engines we should be able to trace it down a little more. But hey I do appreciate all y'alls input. It's definitely helped cause I know alot more now than I did a few days ago, Ken

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
#674723 06/28/03 04:35 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
This is what worked for me. I did two things then took the car for a drive. I dis-connected the plug for the Throttle Position Sensor & re-connected it several times just in case there was a poor connection there . My second effort was to remove & clean the MAF. Very tricky. I used an alcohol based spay cleaner that would leave no residue. Sprayed the MAF wires liberally a couple of times, let air dry, re-installed & it drove like a champ.

Now I'm gonna re-gap my plugs to spec & head to the races!!

I hope you guys have similar luck. Those leak suggestions sounded on target too, so don't give up too quickly.

JimR

Originally posted by Kennard:
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
ummmm...hate to be the "bearer of bad tidings" but I had the same problems that everyone here is discussing.....then the car literally died on the highway!! It started with the small bucking, then it became more and more frequent until the car began bucking and stalling getting onto the highway monday morning. After 5 days (and countless calls) I was told that the fuel pump was shot. One of the techs at the dealership was curious....did I always try to coax "extra mileage" out of the car when the low fuel light came on? I said I did, and on a regular basis, as everyone knows how pessimistic our fuel guages are. He said he wasn't positive, but that it could have been a contributing factor in my fuel pumps demise(with the fuel sloshing around a nearly empty tank, it does make some sense;a dry fuel pump pick-up is not a good thing). He also mentioned something about the pick-up screen that is on the pump itself(which I don't think I could get to with my "returnless" 2000)And believe me, i tried EVERYTHING you guys had done, short of ripping the engine apart, to address the problem.

Hmmm, this doesn't sound all that positive but to my knowledge our 'low fuel light' has been on 2 or 3 times. My wife drives the Tour 99% of the time. I have the E-350, 15 pass, V-10 Club Wagon Econoline, and I don't need no stinking bucking, hahaha. But seriously you know how women are, the tank never gets below 1/4 full, ever. So it's doubtful that this is my problem, but possible. So let's see; it could be the throttle position sensor, the DPFE, a leak in the air inlet, the MAF, the O2 sensor, what else ? Yowzers, it's never easy is it ? This problem seems to be prevalent in all small Ford engines. I-4's, V-6's of various sizes and others according to the DPFE site I visited. So it seems if we find a common part in all these engines we should be able to trace it down a little more. But hey I do appreciate all y'alls input. It's definitely helped cause I know alot more now than I did a few days ago, Ken

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
B
Maybe someone should check and see how prevalent this problem is. I believe I have a similar problem with my Contour (98 Sport-SE, 6cyl. 5speed) It "jerks" when i lightly step on the gas or let off the gas with a gear engaged. It is more noticeable with the a/c on and also seems more noticeable in 1st-3rd gear, although that may just be me. I didn't think of it as a major problem, but an annoyance. Perhaps I should rethink the situation. I'm not a big poster here and don't know anyone at the board, but some of you that do might want to ask around and see if anyone else has had this "minor" annoyance. My car is the first and only standard I have driven thus far and I attributed the jerking to something that I was doing wrong (I am also the only person that has actually gotten to drive my car any reasonable distance since I bought it.)

I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
I have really bad bucking when my car gets below half a tank. Orginally two months ago the car wouldn't start, replaced the fuel filter and it worked again. But since then i have had this problem with bucking. I am positive it has something to do with the fuel pump. Now that I know my car has been running on low voltage, and the a/c running all the time finally did it in, I am wondering if I had low volatage the fuel pump. No way to tell until i find out about my volatage problem.
-Greg

1999 Ford Contour Lx, 2.5L V6 ATX, 145,000 miles Pioneer DEH-P6400 H/U , Rockford Fosgate 351M 350 Watt Amp, Pioneer TS-W305DVC 12" Sub, Compustar 2WSS, Whelen CSP650 Strobe Pack with 6 strobes, Whelen Talon B/B LED Dash Light
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
It turns out it is my secondaries. They are stuck open. Will make another post for this. Glad I know the problem and managed to clean the UIM/LIM in the process.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
E
E
Okay, I'm a girl that doesn't know much about cars, and I really don't want to take my car back to the dealership, but I'm having the same problem and I need help!! 2000 Contour--V6--owned since 2001, never had a tune-up. I have called it "chugging", but bucking is a much more accurate description for what's happening! When my car has less than 1/4 tank of gas, it bucks during the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear. If I continue to accelerate through the bucking, I can almost feel it correct itself. Almost like there was something in the way of the gas flow, and all of the sudden it gets spit out of the way! You like my technical vocabulary? Anyway, how can I try and fix this without doing major diagnostic work on it? Is it possible? My dad just changed the fuel filter two days ago, and it's still happening! It gets MUCH worse once past 1/8 tank. A month or so ago, I tried Dry Gas treatment, and that helped only because I filled the tank up at the same time!

Help!

M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
It sounds like you have the classic fuel pump issues descibed in this and other bucking threads. Do you have a warranty still? If so I'd be inclined to go into the dealership and encourage them to by pass all the testing they will want to do and find a way to charge you for and set them straight off to the fuel pump. If not and you or your dad or someone else are so mechanically inclined there is a write up on here how to fix the problem yourself. Hope that helps.

Green 96 mystique gs 4cyl mtx 16.9 in the 1/4 mile @102500 miles 95SE in Midnight Red MTX MSDS headers and y-pipe SVT exhaust SVT UIM Optimized se TB. Full pre 98 SVT body kit 15.741 @ 87.73mph :)
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by mbb41:
It sounds like you have the classic fuel pump issues descibed in this and other bucking threads. Do you have a warranty still? If so I'd be inclined to go into the dealership and encourage them to by pass all the testing they will want to do and find a way to charge you for and set them straight off to the fuel pump. If not and you or your dad or someone else are so mechanically inclined there is a write up on here how to fix the problem yourself. Hope that helps.

Are you of the opinion that this is a problem in all Contours ? Is this something I also should be looking into ? Why does the problem go away with fresh plugs ? Why do you think the problem started within a couple weeks of swapping out the original plugs ? May it have been conicidence in my case ? BTW I do not expect a miracle, but you seem pretty knowledgeable so I'm asking your opinion only, thanks, Ken, 99 SE Zetec Atx.

Ken, 99 Silver Frost SE Zetec Atx, polished alloys, Kumho's, Pioneer hi power CD/AM/FM. Factory spoiler (added) Audi side lites, Borla stainless steel muff. Stolen, recovered in pieces. Looking for another Tour, preferably V6, 5 speed.
M
I am Canuckian
OP Offline
I am Canuckian
M
Originally posted by Kennard:
Originally posted by mbb41:

Are you of the opinion that this is a problem in all Contours ? Is this something I also should be looking into ? Why does the problem go away with fresh plugs ? Why do you think the problem started within a couple weeks of swapping out the original plugs ? May it have been conicidence in my case ? BTW I do not expect a miracle, but you seem pretty knowledgeable so I'm asking your opinion only, thanks, Ken, 99 SE Zetec Atx.

Well given my response was to the post above me and not yours. Might that clear it up better for you. For the record I'm not of the opinion that this happens to all Tours. However again the post I was responding to has classic symtoms. If you read through the whole post you probably noticed my problem has turned out to be the secondaries being pinned open. To think some people do it on purpose. In your case I don't recall did you say you did your fuel filter yet? Or your plugs? Failing those 2 items I would move to the ignition coil (less probable but could make sense) or the MAF. By replacing your plugs you get some great spark from the new ones that may mask your symptons temporaily leading me to guess that your problem never has gone away yet.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard