Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#662937 06/13/03 05:56 PM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Okay, I changed my radiator fans and notice the wiring harness was craced in a few places.
Is there another harness people speak of? Does it crack too?? I did a search and noticed people mentioning Ford will fix if car has less than 100,000 on odometer. The only under hood things I've added are K&N, and a wire from battery to amp. Void warranty??
I need to change one bad plug on my radiator harness becuase the wiring is cracked off quite a bit, electrical tape covers it now, but that stuff won't last for long.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
N.

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
#662938 06/13/03 06:43 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by NateCox:
I need to change one bad plug on my radiator harness becuase the wiring is cracked off quite a bit, electrical tape covers it now, but that stuff won't last for long.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
N.

Heh Nate! Welcome to harness hell. If you're gonna get the recall done (and you prolly should), I wouldn't mess with the fan harness connector until you let the dealer look at it - get it on record!! (I'll bet it's the heavy gauge green/white & green/blue wires that feed power to the fans and it's at the connectors at the top of the shroud)

Here's a link for your education:

My post from end of May

From information gotten from a few Ford techs, this has got to be one of THE most hated "Customer Notification Programs" that Ford ever launched. The tech gets paid for 7 hrs work but the job can take 12-16 hrs to be done correctly. It really is a mess to perform.

From what I've been told, if ANY of the 4 harnesses have the cracking problem, ALL 4 are to be replaced under the program.

Check your messages for more info!!

Good Luck, Kurt (I still need to confront a dealer about mine, tightening up my belt & tin cup )

Last edited by KurtD; 06/13/03 06:55 PM.

'95 Contour SE, MTX, Champagne '03 EB Expedition, Med Wedgewood Blue
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Okay, I took it to Ford and they'll have her for a week or more fixing the entire wiring harness. They'll give me a loaner so have fun doing that big job!
I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome and see how the new harness system looks & works.
With cracking like I had I wonder if I might have had some power loss due to wires touching, and things like that.....

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
i had the wiring on my 96 contour, 6 cyl. where the wires go to the high pressure cut off for the A/C where its suppose to cut off the compressor when the pressure get too high.. the wires were uncovered/cracked off insulation and they muust have touched....it blew the high pressure side a/c service valve... lost the freon.. i put some liquid tape over the exposed wires(about one inch) and put in a new high pressure service valve($20) and charged the a/c back up with R-134A and no problems.. i am really afraid to take it to the dealer.. last time we had it in there they broke a dashboard plastic piece and they kept ordering it and could not get it, it was alway on its way..took two weeks to get it.... it should have been in the next day.. another error.. i looked at the fix for the replacing the wiring and it looks like the tech. if he does not either know what he is doing or does not want to do it(it will be a poor job).. i am trying to hold out as long as it takes to not get it done.. hopefully i will get rid of the contour before i have another problem with the car.....

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Well, I plan to keep mine and with that cracked wiring something bad would happen, and at the worst time I'm sure.
I'm getting a loaner tomorrow so they can keep my car until it's done, and believe me. I'll check her over thoroughly before I take it home.
From what I've read it's a huge job to replace all the wiring, the UIM & LIM must come off and all sorts of other things too. Thank goodness Ford is covering it, I couldn't do it myself with the tools and patience I have

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Nate....consider yourself lucky!!

I've replaced all 4 harnesses on my own dollar using my own labor. I think total time spent replacing all 4 wiring harnesses was about 24 hours. I replace the main power harness, the fuel charge harness, the engine control harness and the cooling fan harness.

Like I say to everyone who has a Tour with under 100k miles......look for cracking and take it to Ford immediately!!!

Cracked wires cause problems from loss of the A/C system to the car not running at all!!! Do not pass go and go straight to Ford to have repaired!!!!

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Hi all,

I have a 2000 se sport, V6 of course. For about the last 6 months or so I have been having a surging problem when the air or defrost is on, so I know it's a problem with the a/c. By surging I mean, while driving it feels like I have suppend losses of power, and when the curise is on (or just going a constant speed) you really notice the surging. I was wondering if this problem might be causeed by a cracked wiring harness. I have recharged my a/c so I know low freon isn't the problem. What do youguys think?

Dan
2000 V6 MTX

#662944 06/25/03 12:15 AM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Well, this whole thing started when I had to replace the engine cooling fans, that's when I noticed it all. Thanks again to all CEG'ers and this wonderful site. It's probably saved me over $2000 total over the life of this car.

Hey Scooba, I'm not sure if your problem would be that or not. You should look for cracked wiring under the hood... good luck

#662945 06/25/03 06:07 PM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
I had to go to the dealer to get my loaner (2003 Taurus fully loaded except CD player, figure that out... ) and I stopped by my car to get the insurance form. The hood is up and the UIM is off and maybe the LIM (can I see the secondaries valve thing still on the engine if LIM if off??). Anyways, it's all cruddy and oily looking....yuck!

the old wiring harness is on the floor besides it.. So at least they've started working on it.

#662946 07/01/03 02:14 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
i have a question when i replace the temp sensor the wire broke loose from heat i put a piece of wire in it's place will this void the warranty for the wire harness

R.A
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard