Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#649516 05/30/03 04:32 PM
S
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Need your suggestions on what pads I can use for track day and track school running.

I have used in the past stock, EBC greens (old formula + new formula), and most recently Mintex 1144's.

Stock is good for rears only I found - nothing more.
EBC green (old) - lasted and held up quite well, but I only used them when I was new to going on the track so I don't believe I pushed very hard (Watkins Glen)
EBC green (new) - did not last but held up to the temps I was experiencing (tracks Watkins Glen + Road America)
Mintex 1144's - had quite a bit of fade + I believe I glazed them because of overheating them (Gingerman). I had to change back to street pads because my pedal would go 2/3rds the way to the floor before any bite.

The BAT catalog had said it was good to 650C (1200F) but the Mintex site says that the pad is a lot less. After this week, I believe the site.

Any suggestions? What is everyone else using?

#649517 05/30/03 08:38 PM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
PM Stazzi the Aussie, he has Bendix Titanium pads and new rotors (if needed), the pads are an amazing deal. Extremely low dust (less than stock), very very low pedal fade, and amazing bite. I have them on my bronco and it was a huge improvement over the stock pads. Another outstanding side note is that they are very cheap, only $40 or so for a set of front pads, even cheaper for the rear, you will notice a major improvement over stock. If you match these pads with stainless steel brake lines and a good brake fluid flush, replace with quality dot 4 fluid (try the super blue stuff from spmotorsports). This brake setup is a huge improvement over stock.

1998 black Contour SVT E0 -KKM Intake -B&M Short Shifter -SPARCO front strut tower bar -24mm Aussie rear sway bar
#649518 05/30/03 09:49 PM
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
I'm not sure there are any other good track compounds normally made for the contour caliper, most people I know run either the EBC greens, the Mintex 1144, or the KVR Carbon fiber pads. While they are a good street replacement pad, I don't know that the Bendix pads would be up to the task for heavy track use.

With the temperatures you say you are seeing, I think some decent brake ducts would help you out a heck of a lot. Just make up some simple ducts from the air dam, and route them to dump as close to the middle of the back side of the rotor as you can. They don't have to be pretty or anything. The foglight holes in the fascia would even be a good place to pull air from (of course you would have to remove the foglights, duh, lol)

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
#649519 05/30/03 10:09 PM
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Hey I run my car at the glen, mid-ohio, summit point, vir, and i instruct at BeaveRun. I have used the ebc green stuff (new compound) when i run it. I have yet to try Stazi's pads, but being that they are a street/aggressive driving pad, I dont know how they'd last on the track. I'd like to look into a nice track pad by hawk or carbotec that fits our oem sized caliper and rotor. I'v also found that my ABS likes to come on after a few hot laps on the green stuff and my stock pads(needless to say I don't run them anymore) not to mention break fad. Let me know if you find anything.

modded 99 SVT for sale. PM me or Email me at zapparacing@aol.com
#649520 05/31/03 06:05 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Rara:
... With the temperatures you say you are seeing, I think some decent brake ducts would help you out a heck of a lot. Just make up some simple ducts from the air dam, and route them to dump as close to the middle of the back side of the rotor as you can. They don't have to be pretty or anything. The foglight holes in the fascia would even be a good place to pull air from (of course you would have to remove the foglights, duh, lol)

Do you really think that would be a good idea since the rotors aren't vented to the inside? You would only be introducing cooler air to one side of the rotor face.

'99 Black SVT Join the SVTOA
#649521 05/31/03 06:13 PM
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Do you really think that would be a good idea since the rotors aren't vented to the inside? You would only be introducing cooler air to one side of the rotor face.

Well, unless you can figure out a way to route the air around the rotor and into the center of the rotor on the wheel side, there isn't much else you can do, is there?

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
#649522 05/31/03 09:02 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Rara:

Well, unless you can figure out a way to route the air around the rotor and into the center of the rotor on the wheel side, there isn't much else you can do, is there?

True. The questions are: 1) Because the cool air won't be flowing through the center of the vented rotor will there be any noticeable cooling due to the ducts? 2) If one side of the rotor is cooler than the other, what problems will that cause?

'99 Black SVT Join the SVTOA
#649523 06/01/03 01:24 PM
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
This heat in the hub area possibly the reason for increase of bearings failures on the Contiques? Or just a common FWD problem?
TNX
Paul
Bendix Titanium pads with that break-in coating maybe the prime key to the brakes performing so well?
since reading the latest articles about proper seasoning and bedding of rotors and pads. I believe the Bendix says the Titanium pad material is closer to OEM temperatures?

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
#649524 06/01/03 04:28 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Depending on how late of an E1 you have, you might be able to use EBC Red Stuff pads. According to their site the pads are good to +750°C

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
#649525 06/02/03 05:39 PM
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
I suggest KVR Carbon Fibre all around for heavy track use. But they aren't that great on the street, they need lots of heat. I would also suggest changing your brake fluid and lines, SS lines and ATE TYP200/SuperBlue.

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard