Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I took my car in, and the rotors and pads were *replaced* because the rotors were warped, which I believe was true. However, I've started to wonder if they really replaced the rotors at all or if they just turned them.

First, when I picked up my car they were finishing and looked like they were resurfacing the rotors by sanding them somehow (which was evident by tiny little scratches swept over the entire rotor face). Why would you need to do that with new rotors?

Second, when I went to bleed the brakes, the vane-like sufaces (which I thought should be completely flat if they were new) inside the vent area of the rotors appeared to have rust buildup?

Last, a brake vibration has already started (only had the brakes for 1000 miles at the most).

I'm taking it back in tomorrow to have them fix the vibration, but how can I be sure about the replaced rotors? Just want to be sure, thats all...

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
J
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
J
I just did a rotor replacement on two Fords and the replacement rotors should not have rust on the inner cooling surface. You do have to clean the new rotors to remove the organic material used for rust protection.

Having turned rotors in the past, used and turned rotors usualyy have rust in the center section and hub (if not metal plated) while new rotors should have no rust at all.

I would complain to the service manager...

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Sanding the surface of new rotors is a long time practice. Not saying it's needed, but it commonly done. I do it.

A new rotor, OTOH, should have only fresh metal. No rust.

Talk to them.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I just went out and noticed that the rotors are rusted in the center where they meet the hub. Also, they appear to be scored...

My gut and this evidence tells me they weren't replaced. Me putting 1200 miles on the brakes shouldn't be a valid argument for them, correct?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would think that an experienced tech or service manager could tell if they were new or not. After 1200 miles you could very easily have some rust, especially if you have had some rain. New rotors on new cars sometimes have a little rust by the time the car is purchased. The rust should be light though, not caked and flaking. If you are concerned, I would take it back and ask the service manager to have a look at your rotors along with your bill and ask what he thinks.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
Did you tell them to replace the rotors or did you just tell them to fix it? If you told them to replace the rotors and you were charged for new ones then you could maybe get some $$.

Former owner: 1999 Contour SE Sport Current: 2000 Eclipse GT There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way! Isn't that just the wrong way? Yeah, but faster!
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I would think that an experienced tech or service manager could tell if they were new or not.

I agree, but whether he tells you what he knows or tries to save his ass is another thing.

Originally posted by Big Jim:
The rust should be light though, not caked and flaking.

But it's not. The rust on the cooling surface of the venting area is built up. Also, the rotors are scored, just like the replaced ones were.

Originally posted by maxx_power76:
Did you tell them to replace the rotors or did you just tell them to fix it?

They said they replaced the rotors b/c turning the old ones would put them below minimum specs. The writeup says the same thing, and my receipt shows that I was charged for 2 rotors.

Additionally (just remembering some stuff), when I talked to them when I brought the car in, they said they had to order the parts, but the work was finished the same day. Doesn't it seem strange that they received the parts the same day they were ordered?

C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
if i ever have to take my car to get it serviced and it is something that is gonna be replaced....i always mark it with a grease pen in the most obscure place ever.....and take a dated photo on my digital camera....takes all of 30 seconds and you got some proof if by chance the place decides to rip me off.....happened to me one time......tried to tell me that my serpentine belt on my zetec was bad.....i quitely showed him the receipt where the serpentine belt had been replaced approx 3 weeks before, asked him if he even looked at the belt, he said, i asked for my keys and left.......

--Chris-- 1999 Silver Frost SVT #1671 of #2760
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
It's been my experience that even new rotors will get some surface rust on the vane and hub areas almost immediately, FWIW.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Ok, *takes a deep breath and cracks the fingers in preparation*

I get there (for the record it's Sears), explain to the service manager the vibration, rust, etc. I politely inquire if it's possible that the rotors were not replaced and just turned (just so that he knows Im wondering, for the sake of the possibility that they weren't replaced).

The car is checked. The first thing the manager says to me is "Hey I noticed your car is souped up. You do any racing with it?" Well I AutoX and drive the car hard (neither since the original brake job though) but Im not about to tell him that (especially since he'd probably use it as an excuse to not fix the car.....which he does). He tells me the new rotors have warped and is like "probably caused by abnormal/hard braking...so you don't drive it fast or race with all that stuff you put on?" "No! I drive it NORMAL!" "Ok, because our warranty doesn't cover hard braking, blah blah, yada yada." So I ask about why it warped so quickly (1200 miles!) and why the rust buildup and he throws a load of BS my way "it can all happen during abnormal braking, wet conditions, etc." Ok, just fix the damn car. So the rotors get turned.

After an hour more than they told me it'd take, I get my keys and ask another service manager why the brakes warped (just to see what crap he'd throw at me). First he tries to give me a lesson on front disc brakes 101. So I ask "why 1200 miles, that seems pretty early, im familiar with them warping at 30-40k?" He starts telling me that its because companies are experimenting with new organic and ceramic brake pads, blah blah, stfu. I leave. I'm betting they'll warp again soon. Maybe I should start a pool?

Now b/c of this $hit i have to decide between driving around 200-300 miles today to let the pads bed in again, or missing an AutoX tomorrow.

So, Im very curious to hear some input about the ordeal. Warped rotors around 6 weeks/1200 miles or not replaced from the get go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard