Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
So once again I heard the dreaded thunk/crack of my sway bar brackets being torn away from their substandard "upgraded" mounts that I had installed waaay back in November.
The Aussie bar while amazing for cornering is just a bit too strong for the rusty old mounts, even with some reinforment. The original un-reinforced brackets held fine for almost 2 years but eventualy they gave out causing me to repair the subframe and to "upgrade" the brackets.
I recommend that anyone using an Aussie bar check their mounts and reinforce if need be. The only way to properly do this is by dropping the subframe.

So today out came the subframe w/Aussi bar and lower control arms. I set the car on some jackstands and went under to spray PB Blaster on the bolts and nuts I was going to remove. Then I got some lunch and let the PB do it's work. After lunch I went under the car and with air tools it took about 45 min to drop the subframe out of the car. Not too bad at all. Remove exhaust, remove rear wheels, remove bolts securing suspension arms to rear hub, remove subframe.
Anyhow, here are some pics.

Just rolling the old subframe out.

Yup, it broke all right. Different places both times.

Something's missing...

It's going to look like this for a few days. Hope the neighbors don't mind.

The subframe will be sand blasted, rewelded with boxed in mounts for the swaybar brackets, coated with POR15, and measurements taken for some custom rear end pieces. I'll post more pics as the work progresses.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Nice pics. Do yourself a favor and chock those front wheels so you don't have some jerk lean on your car the wrong way and have some really expensive repairs to do after the car falls off the jackstands. </soapbox>

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for the info and pictures. I need to do this on my car soon too.

-Kurt 50% of all people are below average.
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Cool pics. Good luck with the project

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by Pigeon:
Do yourself a favor and chock those front wheels so you don't have some jerk lean on your car

Is he talking about Chad???

Ben TROLL BECAUSE I SOLD MY 1998 T-Red SVT #4406/6535 Last E0 Made? 1/13/98 SOLD THE SVT TO BUY A 2002 Audi S4 STILL ENJOY MY 1999 Silver Mazda Miata MX-5 Email Me
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
Great pics. Man that cars clean for a 95!

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by fast80svt:
Originally posted by Pigeon:
Do yourself a favor and chock those front wheels so you don't have some jerk lean on your car

Is he talking about Chad???

Who's Chad? Must be something I don't know about... Just applying a little preventative advice - there's nothing keeping that car, which is parked on an angle with the rear end up on jackstands, from rolling forward and off the jackstands. All it'd take is say, the mailman, propping his shoe up on the rear bumper to tie his laces, and there'd be a very bad, very expensive problem.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Chad (FluiDSVT) is my roomate.

Don't worry about the car rolling off the jacks. It's secure and in gear. Does it look like I'm new to cars??

Thanks for the comments! I'll have more pics this weekend of the cleaned up subframe and arms.

J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Dood, where do you live? I'm in Aurora. Just did my front hubs last weekend; planning on the rear this weekend! We need to have a get together. SQPlus lives down the street from me, but I have yet to meet him! Anyway, nice pics. And I agree, one clean looking 95!

'99 SE Sport, Duratec ATX(I'm lazy) No mods, still love it! I have speed mud!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Just trying to show some concern for a fellow CEGer. And I forget sometimes that the front wheels will hold the car when in gear, I'm so used to working on my old Miata which I had to chock the wheels for anytime I lifted it, LOL.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1, Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard