Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#644021 05/23/03 07:26 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Yes, I've already read the section on Common Fixes. I have 163K on my 97, V6 Contour. I replaced the rear swaybar bushings last summer. I still have the original struts on the car and I can't figure out if the struts need replacing or if it's the bushings again. I have sprayed everything in the rear suspension with a teflon spray at first, then white lithium grease and now with silicone with little help.

Maybe replacing the struts are the way to go. Car does not suffer from excessive rebound. Did anyone else replace rear struts and cure noises from out back?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Did you spray the TOP of the strut mounts ?
They are accessible from inside the trunk.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Let me know if/when you figure it out. I have a similar issue. Lubed up the sway bar bushing, but still a squeak over bumps or when I initiate a bump by pushing down on the trunk.

1999 Contour SVT #1966/2760, Silver Frost/Midnight Blue Koni Kit, Mille Miglia MM-S rims, B&M shifter, Stazi mesh, SFCs, optimized Y-pipe & TB, SS break lines, K&N drop-in, Infinity Kappa speakers, MTX amp/sub
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
in the FAQ on the homepage there should be something about a clip that holds the emergency brake line underneath the car. mine made noises over bumps also, i sprayed it down good (i believe on both sides of the car, this was like 2 years ago...) and haven't heard the noise since then. its a star shaped rubber grommet that holds the emergency brake line, you probably need to duck under the car just in front of the rear wheels to see it. try soaking it in some spray (wd-40, lithium grease, etc...) and see if that fixes it.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
With 163K on the car, I have to suspect that the struts can't be in good shape.

95 Contour Zetec, ATX (wrecked, sitting in the barn) 95 Mystique Zetec, MTX 2000 Taurus SEL 3.0L Duratec 1994 Crown Victoria LX 4.6 V8 1993 Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by ConnContour:
I replaced the rear swaybar bushings last summer. I still have the original struts on the car and I can't figure out if the struts need replacing or if it's the bushings again. I have sprayed everything in the rear suspension with a teflon spray at first, then white lithium grease and now with silicone with little help.

Same here... I replaced the bushings last summer, and the creaking came back late last week. I'm not the first owner of the car, I'm not sure if the struts are original or not.. 128,000 km on the car (roughly 79,500 miles)..

Kyo 1997 Mystique GS Duratec ATX -- sold 2005 Focus ST - Quicker! - Still a Duratec!
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first post:

I have the same problem with creaking in the rear section of the car. Everytime I go over a small bump in the road I hear it.

I own a 1999 Ford Contour SE 2.0 DOHC with 68,000 miles. Previously owned a 1998 Ford Contour SE 2.0 DOHC.

I hope you I can get some help because no one else seems to be able to help me. The Dealer can't even help me with this issue:

My 1999 Ford drives very-very hard/rough. Many of my passengers comment that it rides stiffer than my previous 1998 Ford. I noticed this and am exhausted of tht stiff ride - as bad or worse than some pick-up trucks!

Could you please-please-please offer any suggestions? Are there any different kinds suspension or struts to soften the ride?

Also, can you suggest what kind of spark plugs and wires I should consider to increase gas mileage? Or anything ot suggestion for this matter?

Thanks

C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
On those original struts, they don't bottom or top out at all. Excellent ride quality. Could be that they are just dried out from the inside. Car was from NorthEast so I had to deal with all types of weather. Now car is in Nevada and have to deal with the heat.

Took car to local garage and they said it was the rear control arms (just forward of the stamped steel trailing arms) that was making the noise. Got a quote of $308 for parts and labor. Said that the springs had to be compressed to install new arms. I'm just going to keep spraying with WD40 now that I know what to look for.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
OK. I know this will sound silly. But, I've found that dryness is one of the main causes. Evertime I get the rear end squeak, I take my CSVT to a local car wash that has underbody spray. I drive through very slowly, and get the underside saturated. Voila, no sqeak for a couple of weeks. Try it. Can't hurt.

99 Black/Tan CSVT # 1070 of 2760 Stock with K&N Drop in
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Hey Guys.

I still have this horrible hard ride! The dealer said that the struts were orignal and should not give such a hard ride. But once again, they offer no help!

Can anyone suggest what to do? My tire pressure is normal and I have the softest tires available for this car.

Are there any specific struts I could ask the dealer to put on?

Myrosia (Mary)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard