Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#640522 05/21/03 04:52 PM
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
they did an SVX tranny? damn, those things are biatches.

95 GL MTX Zetec, Carbon Fiber hood: *neoprene seat covers *new SVT rear bumper *Proud Owner of 1962 Chevy Corvette 427
#640523 05/21/03 04:58 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Yes, they did the tranny on the SVX. It was a challenge, but nothing they couldn't do. The Subaru is so fun to drive!! Right now I am driving their 1992 Nissan Maxima. Fun car to drive too.

1995 Contour LX 238,000 miles
#640524 05/21/03 07:39 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
It sounds like your friends have some good experience with automatics and can probably handle the CD4E in your tour with no problems. There are rebuild and upgrade kits that have all the latest fixes for trannies. With the number of miles on your tour, you should probably get a full overhaul kit. Jasper is a good source for rebuilt trannies. http://www.jasperengines.com/

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
#640525 05/21/03 07:58 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Your rebuilders sound like they will do a good job. While they're at it, you might ask for a new Torque Converter too. The TCs on the CD4E have been known to start leaking. I know of two that would spin a little from lack of fluid when cold (especially after a stop). Soon as the TC properly filled with fluid, it was fine.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#640526 05/21/03 08:17 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Another thing I just remembered from January when we had the car jacked up. The transmission looked like it was resting on the frame of the car. Not just sitting there, but sitting on the frame so much the transmission case looked strange, like it was changing shape. That's of course in my opinion. Me not being an expert on transmissions of course.
From the symptoms I listed in previous posts, is a rebuild all you think I will need to fix this issue (and a TC)?
Thanks for the replies.
All have been helpful.

1995 Contour LX 238,000 miles
#640527 05/21/03 09:15 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
It's hard to say without having the tranny apart, but all of the items that normally wear are included in the rebuild kits. If there is damage to the case or other 'non-wear' items, these should be replaced if needed. These will probably become more obvious once the guys get the tranny pulled.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
#640528 05/21/03 11:26 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Contourgirl:
Another thing I just remembered from January when we had the car jacked up. The transmission looked like it was resting on the frame of the car. Not just sitting there, but sitting on the frame so much the transmission case looked strange, like it was changing shape.

I was lucky enough to talk to the shop manager that will be rebuilding my tranny next week and he told me of a problem very simailar to this. The rear tranny mount was damaged and allowing the tranny to flex so much that it eventually started having the same issues as you.

What caused it, well bad tranny mount , but seriously... because of the flex between the tranny and engine, it caused damaged to the torque convertor. The customer could put the car into gear, but after driving a short distance (enough for the TC to lock) and it would bog the car until it would die. Acts like if you was driving a 5 speed and instead of makeing a 1-2 shift, you do a 1-5 shift. Car will almost stall. The customer had said that they had noticed that the putting the car in gear was becoming harder and harder...., so this might not apply to you.

Originally posted by Contourgirl:
From the symptoms I listed in previous posts, is a rebuild all you think I will need to fix this issue (and a TC)?
Thanks for the replies.
All have been helpful.

From the symptoms that you stated at the start of this thread, it sounds like your TC was slipping while engaged. Exactly like mine did a few weeks ago. This can cause line pressures to do all sorts of crazy things. One of the more common problems with the CD4E is run away line pressure. This pressure can get so high, that it can actually crack the case! So a cooling line is not out of the question. It could be that you can't hold a gear because of the fact that 1) you have a leak in the cooler line, if thats the turns out to be the case or 2) the line pressure got out of control and something inside the tranny is damaged such as a drum or something along those lines.

As twowheelin said, it is really hard to tell without the tranny on a table in front of us. But I am sure that a rebuild should get you back into good shape. Good luck!!

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#640529 05/22/03 12:32 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Holy crap if I ever need some tranny work done I;m flatbedding the 'Tour up to you family! They sound more reliable then anyone around here. And yes the problem may stem from the rear tranny mount. With that many miles I'm not surprised.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
#640530 05/22/03 01:30 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
All those tranny mounts on the ATXs droop over time. Both of mine did, twice on Tour 2. Later on the right engine mount (the roll dampener) went south.

#640531 05/22/03 02:06 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Would there be a better tranny mount for an ATX? I know motor mounts have upgrades the yield better response. Is there a way to improve preformace with tranny mounts?

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard