Webmaster
Webmaster
L
From another post, but it should go in here:

Focus shift tower part numbers:

Shift Tower: XS4Z-7201-CD
Cable End Clamps: YS4Z-7412-JA and YS4Z-15520-BA

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
J
Flaming Biker Dude
Flaming Biker Dude
J
Does anyone have a hookup for the bearings, speedo gear and shims? I need to get my hands on this stuff right now..Ford has it backordered.....my car is comming apart and I want to get this stuff ready for when the trans is in my hands....

People suck. Rev it till it MELTS.....
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Lance Kinley:
From another post, but it should go in here:

Focus shift tower part numbers:

-Lance

Don't forget about the jumper to make your reverse lights work: YS4Z-15525-BA

Don't worry...it's cheap

Mike

'98 SVT Contour, in at least 639 pieces 4 Speed MTX...synchro and shift fork replacement in progress
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
OK, so if I purchase all of the folowing parts and install them with my Bondurant Tranny and Quaife, I should be golden, right? Any surprises to expect? The Zetec speedo gear is needed with the Quaife, and not the Duratec Speedo gear, right?

1-2 Fork: XS8Z 7230 DD $18.28
3-4 Fork: YS4Z 7230 AD $24.98
5-R Fork: YS2Z 7230 BA $17.57

Zetec Speedo Gear.......F5RZ-17285-AA

Diff Carrier Bearings...F7RZ-4221-AC

Output Shaft Shim pack..F5RZ-7N135-AA

Reverse light jumper- YS4Z-15525-BA

Thanks a million!~

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
remember you need 2 diff carrier bearings. . .

R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I currently have the Quaife in a different tranny. I think I will skip the Speedo gear as the one on it will work, but how about the carrier bearings? I am losing 3rd gear synchros so I think I will change the bearings just incase some metal shavings have damaged them. Any opinions?

BTW- None of the part numbers work on FordPartsOnline...

SVT Parts For Sale!PM Me. 2006 M6 Cyclone Gray GTO 1995 Mazda Protege Commuter Special 93 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide I'm A TROLL Now!~
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:
I currently have the Quaife in a different tranny. I think I will skip the Speedo gear as the one on it will work, but how about the carrier bearings? I am losing 3rd gear synchros so I think I will change the bearings just incase some metal shavings have damaged them. Any opinions?

BTW- None of the part numbers work on FordPartsOnline...

The zetec and duratec speedo gears have the same part #!!
If your quaife is already fitted and you move it to the other transmission, all you will have to do is pull the ring gear and switch it to the one in the bondurant transmission. Your carrier bearings should not need replaced if you move the outer races over to the new transmission, assuming there are no pits in the bearings or the races that is. All you will have to do is move the races over and re-check the fit with your new diff. The synchros are brass so the brass particles are softer than the steel bearings. It is very unlikely that they could be damaged from a synchro grind. All you need to do is make sure that the synchros in the new transmission (new, used??) are in good shape and if they are you just swap over the diff as discussed.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
The tranny is brand new and has never been cracked by any other than Roush. Will the final drive ratio change in the new tranny cause any drama with my speedo?

Thanks for all of the useful information!

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
No.

If the speedo gear drives the driven gear one revolution every time the differential spins once, then the gear ratio would be irrelevant.
For example, you change final drive ratio to the ZETEC FD of 3.86:1 from 4.06:1
Intuitively you think that the diff will spin slower. i.e. it only spins 3.86 times per 1 input revolution versus over 4 times per one revolution for the other FD.
Well, the speedo drive gear turns the same speed as the diff so its going slower too. Then, figure that the tires are also going slower because they are hooked directly to the diff without any other gear changes.
What will throw your speedometer off is changing tire sizes.

Now, don't get this confused with changing a final drive on a rear wheel drive vehicle! The rear wheel drive vehicle has the final drive in the back, AFTER the speedo gear measures the transmission output shaft speed. In this condition the output shaft speed remains constant while the wheels will spin at different speeds from the changed final drive and this change will not be reflected in the speedo. That is why some companies offer changing the speedo calibration in the computer to reflect gear changes. Those computers that read the sensor will have a different multiplier put in to compensate for the different final drive.

Again, you should have to do nothing except move your diff from the one transmission to the other along with the bearing races, and re-measure the shim thickness. While you are at it, upgrade those shift forks since they are easy.
You can do the shift tower later if money is an issue as it can easily unbolt while the trans is in the car.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#640245 10/03/03 03:48 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
News flash.

The axle ratio is programmed into the PCM.

I would be surprised if the 2 gears were different actually. We are not talking old school direct drive cables to a mechanical speedometer.

Yes that also means for all those that installed the 3.84 final drive your speedometer and odometer are now off. Well unless you let the PCM know via a chip of course.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard