Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
When I had my transmission apart I discovered why my shifting was sometimes stiff, especially when cold. My shift forks were so difficult to move on the shafts that I had to use two hands! They should just slide off the shaft if you turn it on its end. I spoke with Terry Haines about the issue and he explained that the MTX-75 is still undergoing changes in synchros and shift forks although they are only for the zetec powered focus.
I did some work and located the part numbers for the following shifter forks from the 2000+ MTX-75 Zetec Focus (NOT the FSVT!)
In all the contours since they went to cable shifters the shift rods use a metal bushing inserted into the ends where the shaft rides. This is a babbet type of bearing material (like rod bearings) according to Terry Haines. Apparently as the transmission parts break-in and metal particles get suspended into the oil, a process called deposition occurs where the metal particles deposit onto the bushing material. The end result over time is a thickening of the material and a reduction in the inner diameter of the bushing making for higher friction.

Symptoms:
-Difficult to shift when cold, worse after sitting for an extended period of time.
-Sluggish shifter feel.
-Broken shifter cables. (This happened to me under warranty and they replaced it but never solved the problem. It is easy to see why it broke on the 3-4 upshift because of how unbearable tight that particular fork was in my transmission)
-'Rough-feeling' engagement of the gears, possible grind in certain gears.
-Popping out of gears on quick shifts (caused by the shift fork not allowing the blocker ring to fully seat due to the tension on the shaft)
-unable to shift into a particular gear.

1-2 shift fork: New ball bearing inserts instead of bushings. It just flys down the shaft now!!!!

2-3 shift fork: Updated fork. Has a plate riveted to it that catches slung-off oil and drips it back onto the synchro's for better lubrication at speed. The old fork has the plate but not the same drip-holes for the oil. Still uses the bushings.

5-R shift fork: No apparent change.

The 3-4 gears are on the primary input shaft of the transmission and the shift fork is by itself on its own shaft.
5-R and 1-2 share the other slightly longer shaft

The Part Numbers: List price: (should be cheaper)

1-2 Fork: XS8Z 7230 DD $18.28
3-4 Fork: YS4Z 7230 AD $24.98
5-R Fork: YS2Z 7230 BA $17.57

I have pictures of the transmission gearsets so that you can see what it looks like as well as the Torsen LSD, a comparison shot of the ball-bearing shift fork vs. old one, and a good shot of the synchro and blocker ring.
If someone can host them and attach them to this thread I would appreciate it. Email me at jebrant@earthlink.net for the photo's

**Please pin this post so we can add only part numbers for the MTX-75 as we get them, and keep the chatter to a minimum in this thread. We can start another thread to discuss the various implications. Please add in the part numbers and prices for things like the speedo gears, final drives, LSD's, carrier bearings, Ford Friction modifier, clutches, flywheels, etc. This can be an online reference so no one has to do the research over again.**

BTW installing the shift forks is SO EASY that it is a must do any time you pull the transmission apart for any reason, just for peace of mind like replacing a throw-out bearing.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Zetec Speedo Gear.......F5RZ-17285-AA

Diff Carrier Bearings...F7RZ-4221-AC

Output Shaft Shim pack..F5RZ-7N135-AA

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
You guys may find www.fordparts.com useful in estimating costs. It has list prices and sale prices.

I only mention this site because it is the best site I have found for looking things up by part number (be sure to use the dashes).

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Tom this is what I have installed on my trans and like I stated other posts it shifts like butta! Its unbeleivable. The shifter feel is excellent for a cable shift system. These are a must like you say for any trans that's opened up. Also reccomended is the focus shift tower, of which I also have. Just good insurance for those hard shifts. Ford makes some good parts just in the wrong combo, mix and match everything and you really get a good system! but

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Hey great idea warmonger! It sure beats having to search. Can anyone add the #'s for the focus shift tower upgrade as well as the Torsen diff, afterall it is a ford racing part.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
so how hard is it to install all this stuff without dropping the trans?

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Impossible to add without removing the transmission. The case must be cracked open. Best to do it when the clutch is done. No special gaskets, just a tube of Ford sealant and the shifter forks. Oh and a torque wrench!!!! They are easy to install, can only be installed one-way so no mistakes.
Mechanical Skill Level = Moderate

Oh well, so much for not cluttering this post with extra conversations.

The contour V6 MTX-75 speedometer gear part # is: F5RZ 17285 AA $6.30

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
i thought TH said you could install the shifter tower without dropping the trans...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
The shift tower sits on top of the trans. It can be seen bey looking under the hood. The shift forks are enternal.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Hey great idea warmonger! It sure beats having to search. Can anyone add the #'s for the focus shift tower upgrade as well as the Torsen diff, afterall it is a ford racing part.

FRPP's part number for the Torsen unit is M-4204-F20.

Rick Barnes '66 Ford Ranchero '84 Ford EXP Turbo Coupe '88 Mazda 323 GTX '88 Mazda 323 SE/GT hybrid '93 Ford Aerostar XLT AWD '99 Ford Contour SVT
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard