Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Well my air conditioning only works when it's cold and i don't really need i then well maybe when it's raining but not other then that, should i recharge it, how much would it cost at a shop, or can i do it myself withouth major consiquences. I read that if it goes into your eye it blinds you. And i don't really want that. Any help is welcome as always. Thank you.

Tony Datsenko
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
The RIGHT way to do it is with a proper set of gauges, checking pressures as you go.

Assuming no other system problems, try this as
an alternative:

Buy an Interdynamics recharge kit - available at auto supply house, BJ's, K-mart and a couple of cans of R134a refrigerant.

You will be adding refrigerant via the LOW side service port located on the hose that runs in front of the radiator.

With the ebrake firmly set, start the car, let it idle in neutral.

Turn the MAX AC on, fan at full speed

Open the hood, locate the compressor clutch (lower, right side - Duratech appication)

Watch the compressor clutch. If your charge is low, the compressor will be 'short cycling'. That is, the clutch will engage for 5 sec or less, then disengage. This will occur repeatedly.

With MAX AC on, the compressor should run almost continuously.

To add refrigerant, install the fitting on the R134a can, connect the charging hose to the fitting.

Remove the cap from the low side service port and install the quick connect fitting to the port.

With the R134a can upright, screw the T-handle all the way in to pucture the can seal, then unscrew the T-handle all the way to allow the gas to enter the system.

Refrigerant will be pulled in each time the compressor engages. The 'run' time of the compressor will increase as the low side pressure increases as refrigerant is admitted.

Be patient, allow the contents of the can to be pulled into the system. The can will get cold, lowering the pressure. You can warm it with your hands or sit it in a coffee can filled with warm water.

Continue to observe the operation of the compressor, the 'run' time should get longer and longer. Check the temperature of the air from the center dash vent - should be cold.

You shouldn't have to add more than two cans.

When the can is empty, screw in the T-fitting, unscrew can, screw in new can, peirce seal as before and continue to charge.

When done, screw in the T-fitting and disconnect the quick connect from the low side service port.

Refrigerant in the eyes is not likely, but it would be a good idea to wear safety glasses in any case.

carry on.
AL

Red '98 SVT E0 3098/6535 DMD other stuff and a Bullitt fuel door
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Nicely done goldsmi....I've done this enough times I thought I wrote that!! LOL

2000 WS6 Convertible A4 13.11 @ 107.5 with a lid, Ram Air and LTs Gone:95 Mystique LS Young America edition V6, MTX 15.6 @ 91
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
this is just what i needed to read...my ac is out as well and i was gonna buy a recharge kit but couldn't make heads or tails of the directions on the can...

thanks for asking and thanks for posting

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Thanks alot guys i can't wait till i get it done on my car

PS, does anyone have a pic of the cluch and low side compresser, i have an idea, but am not totally sure.

Last edited by Dark Sport; 05/20/03 10:22 PM.

Tony Datsenko
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
Awesome! Had to use the A/C for the 1st time today and it just won't get cold. Didn't know where the low side line was to charge myself till now. Thanks much

98 Contour SE 24V V6 ATX 99 Passat GLX 30V V6 ATX Tiptronic
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Low side service port circled in red.

Red '98 SVT E0 3098/6535 DMD other stuff and a Bullitt fuel door
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Thank you again. I vote to sticky this

Tony Datsenko
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Do you actually need a/c in Michigan? I'm originally from Chicago... except for those two short months of summer there, you don't really need it!!
Serious though another tip....
If in doubt which line is suction side of compressor, the larger size line is always the suction side (inlet).

Dan B. 96 SE 2.5 auto
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
it's not the heat the kills you, it's the humidity, also it takes a really long while to cool a car down without air conditioning unless you park in the shade . Thanks for the adivice too.

Last edited by Dark Sport; 05/21/03 03:29 AM.

Tony Datsenko
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard