Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Oh well.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
LoCo, we're on to you. At least I am. I've seen the pattern. You'd rather keep arguing than admit you were wrong. Which you are.

Pacific Green '96 Contour LX V6 â??98 GTP, light mods, 14.66/94 Calypso Green '92 Mustang LX coupe, 13.56/101 Crown Autocross Club 1999 Street Tire Champion, 2000/2001/2002 Street Modified Champion KCR SCCA 2002 Solo II Street Modified Champion
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
cross drilled and/or slotted rotors do look really sweet behind a set of big wheels though. thats fo sho!

thanks to cawong for use of the pic.

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
RogerB, I was actually referring to a guy on an Altima board, there was a rather long thread there that was linked to another board that both MFE and I are regulars on.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Rara:
RogerB, I was actually referring to a guy on an Altima board, there was a rather long thread there that was linked to another board that both MFE and I are regulars on.

Oh, no argument, here. There are good vendors and snake-oil salesmen. Just wanted to mention two other good, honest companies.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Rara:
any additional cooling effect the holes may have is offset by the reduced mass of the rotor and resulting loss of heat sink mass. In other words, any benefit you have gained from them cooling off slightly quicker after you stop is offset by the fact that you need that mass in the rotor to hold the heat generated during the stop.

I wish someone had told me this before I bought them, when I was asking this exact question about whether they would dissipate heat better.

Maybe in prolonged moderate braking, the holes do a little good... not enough that I've ever noticed it helping, of course.

P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by mikey boy:
cross drilled and/or slotted rotors do look really sweet behind a set of big wheels though. thats fo sho!

Yeah, until you put big wheels on cross-drilled rotors that are still the stock size, as on mine... then the first thing anyone thinks when they see your cool perforated rotors is "god those rotors look tiny, don't they?"

I really want rotors about 2" bigger. But I have a choice between rotors less than 1" bigger (CSVT) and rotors probably too big for my E0 rims (FSVT).

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
yeah paul you have to get the big ones for that "bling" factor. 13" cross drilled rotors would look nice.

Oo (xxx)oO o xxxxxxxx o
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
A bit of history.... All of this makes fun reading keep in mind.

About ten years ago now I first started producing the SHO kits after I left Bondurant. Took them to the conventions and such to pedal them. Others there were selling the 'soon to be the norm' drilled rotors in stock size. (this was when companies like ****** were tiny and finding the nitch in drilling Chinese rotors, plating them and selling them to kids!) So, when I was asked why I did not offer them drilled on the SHO kits I replied that they were too risky and short lived that I'd prefer not to. In fact for many years I REFUSED to. Well....what do I know? That big shop in *** offers them and they know the SHO (just ask em) and THEY sell them so I must be high!

As time went by (years that is) I caved in and did a few. And I also heard the horror stories of all those ones sold by **** and ***** that cracked or nearly exploded! I also found that new kits like the Eclipse and Impala were also asking for it. Others such as ****** and ****** were selling them! Well, common sense and a mortgage over ruled my better judgement and I now offer them. Do I push them? Nope. Do I run them? Yup. On a 1500lb race car. And for weight reduction only.

Do you need them. Nope. But hey, there's always Turbo Grooves and Heat Slots (wtf is that??) not to mention other buzz words. Let's face it, if one of us doesn't offer it the other will and it's still a business.

BTW, did I mention they look cool?

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
A bit of history.... All of this makes fun reading keep in mind.

About ten years ago now I first started producing the SHO kits after I left Bondurant. Took them to the conventions and such to pedal them. Others there were selling the 'soon to be the norm' drilled rotors in stock size. (this was when companies like ****** were tiny and finding the nitch in drilling Chinese rotors, plating them and selling them to kids!) So, when I was asked why I did not offer them drilled on the SHO kits I replied that they were too risky and short lived that I'd prefer not to. In fact for many years I REFUSED to. Well....what do I know? That big shop in *** offers them and they know the SHO (just ask em) and THEY sell them so I must be high!

As time went by (years that is) I caved in and did a few. And I also heard the horror stories of all those ones sold by **** and ***** that cracked or nearly exploded! I also found that new kits like the Eclipse and Impala were also asking for it. Others such as ****** and ****** were selling them! Well, common sense and a mortgage over ruled my better judgement and I now offer them. Do I push them? Nope. Do I run them? Yup. On a 1500lb race car. And for weight reduction only.

Do you need them. Nope. But hey, there's always Turbo Grooves and Heat Slots (wtf is that??) not to mention other buzz words. Let's face it, if one of us doesn't offer it the other will and it's still a business.

BTW, did I mention they look cool?

Pay attention to the man. He knows his ****.

Sorry about that, I couldn't help myself. But all kidding aside, he knows what most in the business already know, that drilled rotors are really more for looks than anything else. I don't want them on my car, even for looks. Brakes are just too much of a safety issue.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard