Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
For those who have indicated that drilled rotors cannot be machined, I received a message from my brother, whom is a Master Automotive Technician with over 25 years in the business. He was able to machine a set of drilled rotors without any issues. This confirms information that I had previously received from KVR Performance. The only difference when machining a drilled rotor versus a standard rotor, is to not take off as much per pass, and that's it. Otherwise, the same brake lathe was used.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Yes, I have had x-drilled machined before... works great!

99 T-Red SVT ***Intrax, Bilsteins, Azenis, Offroad Y, CAI, Tint, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Grilles, Poly Mounts, Silverstar Bulbs, 100W Ion Fogs, Focus SVT Wheels, SHO UDP, Ford Racing Wires ***
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
it certainly can be done, but it is much easier to screw them up.

but hey, here's an idea, don't waste your money getting them cross-drilled in the first place . . .

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Originally posted by Rara:

but hey, here's an idea, don't waste your money getting them cross-drilled in the first place . . .

My cross drilled rotors work tons better than the crappy stock rotors. The C/D are not warped at all. I know bigger brakes are always better but for us poor folk C/D is a good option! With all the abuse I put on my C/D...the stockers would have been garbage!

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:
Originally posted by Rara:

My cross drilled rotors work tons better than the crappy stock rotors. The C/D are not warped at all. I know bigger brakes are always better but for us poor folk C/D is a good option! With all the abuse I put on my C/D...the stockers would have been garbage!

No offense, but your statement is made out of pure ignorance; it isn't the cross-drilling that is helping you stop better or keeping your rotors from warping.
Cross drilled rotors are significantly less durable than an equivalent non-drilled rotor; they also provide a negligable change in stopping performance on a one stop scenario, and any additional cooling effect the holes may have is offset by the reduced mass of the rotor and resulting loss of heat sink mass. In other words, any benefit you have gained from them cooling off slightly quicker after you stop is offset by the fact that you need that mass in the rotor to hold the heat generated during the stop.

Cross-drilled rotors do not offer ANY appreciable performance improvement, except in very specialized cases; none of which is even remotely likely to be applicable to a street-driven contour.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Ya, but they look beter, so they must work better.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Todd TCE:
Ya, but they look beter, so they must work better.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I completely neglected the "bling factor".

My bad, carry on . . .

L
CEG road warrior
CEG road warrior
L
Okay I guess I am stupid and have no idea what MY Contour does. That is my opinion. I was just stating my experience. I slam on my stock rotors at higher speeds next thing you know....warped. I slam on my C/D rotors at higher speeds and nothing....they are still on my car.

Hector 2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII 257HP/259TQ 2005 Lapis Blue Mazda 6s RET: 00 Cabernet Red Ford Contour Zetec ATX SUPERCHARGED 160HP/141TQ
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
That may be true, however, you do not take into account that a higher quality rotor (which is not cross-drilled) is likely to yield the same (if not better) performance and cost less.

"Cobb - It's not just for corn anymore!"
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by LoCoZ2.0:
Okay I guess I am stupid and have no idea what MY Contour does. That is my opinion. I was just stating my experience. I slam on my stock rotors at higher speeds next thing you know....warped. I slam on my C/D rotors at higher speeds and nothing....they are still on my car.

are the rotors the ONLY thing you changed? Somehow I doubt it very much. Also, the basic rotor may be a different metal specification than the OEM rotor.
Try two sets of the same rotors, one set drilled and one not; use the same pads from the same production lot, same brake fluid and the same weight and weather conditions. Then test both sets back to back for stopping and fade performance. That is really the only legitimate way you could say that cross drilling was better, provided of course the test results back up your point, which they won't anyway . . .

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard