Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
I just started the car up, and the air bag light began blinking. I turned the car off, searched the forums, and found that our air bag light can flash certain codes (according to number of flashes)? So, I go back to see what code it's blinking, and now it's not doing it anymore. Weird. It did the same thing about a month or two ago, only then the light stayed on and didn't blink, but then it went right away.

What's up here? Is there something wrong with the air bag system, or is my light just being dumb?

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Usually a sporadic airbag light indicates an electrical problem. I've heard people reporting airbag lights right before a battery failure. Might be something to look into.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by hetfield:
Usually a sporadic airbag light indicates an electrical problem. I've heard people reporting airbag lights right before a battery failure. Might be something to look into.

I was just about to say the samething...

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Antiramie:
I just started the car up, and the air bag light began blinking. I turned the car off, searched the forums, and found that our air bag light can flash certain codes (according to number of flashes)? So, I go back to see what code it's blinking, and now it's not doing it anymore. Weird. It did the same thing about a month or two ago, only then the light stayed on and didn't blink, but then it went right away.

What's up here? Is there something wrong with the air bag system, or is my light just being dumb?

This may sound dumb, but check the electric connector for the seat belt located under the driver's seat. When it comes loose, one of the lights spratically blinks on the dash (Forget which light, but I think its the airbag light). Can't hurt and it only takes 5 seconde to do this.

1998 T-Red SVT #957 Born 5/14/1997
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I have the same problem. I took it in, and it was a bad connection to the drivers side air bag sensor. They cleaned the connection, but after about 6 months it started again. It comes on once in a great while, then will go out again. I dont worry about it anymore.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
The connectors for the front crash sensors are a bit fussy. Had to clean my LF one twice in the past 3 years to stop the blinking thing. I treated it with a spray called "Gold Ends" last time I took it apart. Leaves a film on the metal that cuts down on oxidization. The connectors are to the right and left of the radiator. Follow safety processes when working on the air bag circuit!

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by 2X95SEs:
The connectors for the front crash sensors are a bit fussy. Had to clean my LF one twice in the past 3 years to stop the blinking thing. I treated it with a spray called "Gold Ends" last time I took it apart. Leaves a film on the metal that cuts down on oxidization. The connectors are to the right and left of the radiator. Follow safety processes when working on the air bag circuit!

Think you can write up a step by step how-to on what you did? I would like to clean the connector again, but Im scared tp death of setting off the air bags.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
This happened to me as well. When it does this count the patern. To fix mine the steering wheel had to come apart and the Timing spring had to be replaced. They did it free under a state warranty, meaning the state says they had to fix it at no charge.

Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
When in doubt, lock and tag out. Disconnect the battery and wait for 10 minutes, book says 2, but 10 to be sure in my book. There is a power reserve that bleeds off when the power goes dead. I used electronic parts cleaner on both ends of the plug and treated it with Gold Ends spray. Stuff is hard to find. Rat Shack may have some kind of treatment spray around. Like the old tuner cleaner/lubricant spray. If you have any plug wire silicone grease around, rub some of that on the outside to keep the water out.

C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard