Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
For those of you unfortunate souls j/k who have to contend w/ the cable driven speedo's on the early 95 tours/tiques... well demonictour and myself just did an experiment to see if an electronic gauge cluster w/ a tach out of another pre 98 tour would work and register speed and mileage accurately even though his previous one was cable driven. Well guess what... It does. Everything works! So now there is no more bouncing needle at low speeds from the stupid cable driven speedo. Yay!! There were a few difficulties getting the new cluster to read the correct mileage but after getting that corrected and all installed, everything is working accurately and we did a calibration of the speedo just to check and it's only .5 to 1 mph off at any given time and the tach works accurately as well. I'm not saying this will work on all the cable driven 95 tours, but his was built in 94 so it was one of the early ones and this worked on his, so it's something some of you might want to look into sometime down the road if you're thinking of adding a cluster w/a tach.

I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
i want a cluster with tach

how did u get the miles to match up? thats one thing that is holding me back.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
So let me get this straight. He had a No tach Cable Driven Cluste and elctronic cluster with Tch worked. Hmmmm. I dont really want a tach but im might have to do this. Just to get inidglos. I have a Late 95 no cable so it should work perfectly.

95 Tour ATX Zetec EGR Block OFF Polished TB Polishe Vavle cover Energy suspension Greaseable sway bar bushings Front and rear Red interior lights 1/2 done Home made short ram intake Custom Grills Watch this space grow
S
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Ok. let me clarify a few things. Originally, the car had no tach. He found a tach out of a 4cyl mystique and we put that in and it worked. then when he wanted to get some indiglo gauges, we realized that the trip reset was on the left side of the speedo instead of the right and the indiglo's wouldn't work w/ those gauges. So one of my friends w/ a 99 tour nabbed one from the junk yard to use on his cuz he doesn't have a tach. well him having a 99 and this being a pre 98 tour cluster, it didn't work so he gave it to me for spare parts and i figured we'd try and use it in demonic's car just to see if it'd work as I'd seen a post a while back about someone asking if it'd work. So now we replaced the cable driven cluster w/ tach for an electronic one w/ tach and everything works like it should. just make sure if you try it you get a cluster from either a pre 98 or post depending on if you have a pre or a post 98 tour. As for getting the dials to read right. It is a matter of simply removing the one from the current cluster and placing them in the new cluster. they only go in one way so you can't really mess up the milage as it all comes out as one unit and goes in as one unit in only one direction. Pretty simple. Like i said, it worked on this 95 tour and I'd like to think that it would on others as well but I'm not going to make any guarantees.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard