Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The extra outside thickness may create too much of a clearance problem for the wilwoods with the brembos if offset is different.

The thing I was thinking is that if the offset was the same as stock, and there are brackets that make the wilwood dynalites work with stock rotors and 300mm, then the only difference would be the rotor thickness. Since the calipers can handle 1.1" thick rotors that doesn't change anything. The centerline of the rotor would remain the same. So all the new bracket would do is move the caliper up and not out keeping the same centerline. Depending on the wheel design of course, clearance should be fine with the caliper about one inch higher.

Is my logic wrong on this? Maybe the brembos have a different offset then stock rotors.

S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Correction....Those kits for stock rotors do require spacers. I guess my logic may be right but spacers would still be needed.

So, with your hat setup do you change the offset to push the rotor and caliper back enough to not require spacers? That would be another appealing reason to go with the hat system. Also, I would think the rotors would be cheaper, right? Plus the coolness factor.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I'm lost and losing interest....

The fact are; my kits place the rotor inboard as far as possible to clear ball joints, the wider the rotor/the less wheel clearanc, fixed calipers are wider than floaters.

'nuf said.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
S
SVTDawg Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
My point is: the wider the rotor...doesn't necessarily mean less clearance. If you bolt on a fixed caliper and it accepts a 1 inch thick rotor or a 1.1 inch rotor then the caliper doesn't move, does it? The pistons move into or out relative to the rotor. The body of the caliper and the caliper bracket doesn't move. As you wear the rotor and it becomes thinner...you don't get more clearance relative to the wheel, correct? Only the pistons and pads move towards the centerline of the rotor.

That's my point and I wasn't trying to keep your interest. I was just posting a message on the board for anyone interested in the topic.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Yes it does move.

The wider the rotor, the narrower the hat. And I don't care if it's a two piece or a one piece cast.

You only have X space between the ball joint and the wheel. Fill it with a narrow rotor and you can fit the caliper, fill it with a wider rotor and the whole package shifts outboard realative to the ball joint.

All this assumes you want to keep the wheel in the 'home' location and not do fat spacers.

The more you move the center of the rotor out board (only way to go) the more room you need behind the spokes. While the rotor is wider so too must the outer face of the caliper move.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard