Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6308 03/23/02 01:24 AM
M
M
Quote:
Our country was built on the principles of our government staying out of people's lives, having a bare minimum of authority and power to maintain order. Allowing the maximum rights, privileges, and freedoms to be retained by the citizen
Which is what I believe they are doing, to maintain a semblance of order on the public highway by cracking down on street racing and by imposing stiff penalties for DUI/DWI.

Quote:
The expanding power of government threatens the very freedoms this country is all about, and I'm sorry if your offended that I'm not afraid to speak out against it.
I take no offence at all, your opinion is just as valid as mine, just different. The freedoms this country is all about, that are under attack right now, that our servicemen are defending overseas have nothing to do with the right or perceived right of the citizens of the country to do what they want on a highway with disregard for the general public.

The rights granted to you as a citizen are not infringed IMO by law enforcement enforcing the law, provided the law is not unconstitutional, in which case I hope and believe it will be struck out.

Quote:
Patriotism isn't rubber stamping everything our government does. Patriotism is about the nation, and the principles of freedom that this nation was founded on. Those principles are in ever increasing jeopardy every day, yet sticking up for them is a bad thing?
Agreed, patriotism is not about rubberstamping government but I don't see how the principles of freedom are being jeopardized, at least not in this case.

Quote:
On the breathalyzer, it's not collecting evidence. It's requiring me to provide a bodily specimen at the will of the police.
It's requiring the person stopped to provide a specimen to determine, through science, whether or not that person is intoxicated or not and therefore whether they should be driving or not. That to me is collecting evidence.

Regards....

'98 Mystique LS V6 MTX

"Unprofessional driver, wide open course."
#9 - Hitting .400 for ever
"Wake up the damn Bambino; I'll drill him in the ass." -- Pedro Martinez
"The MTX75 was not designed to be a drag racing transmission" -- Terry Haines
#6309 03/23/02 01:51 AM
S
S
I agree that street racing should not be considered legal. However, I believe that there is no need to impose more legislation on the matter, as current laws are more than adequate for enforcement. Speeding and reckless driving laws already exist, and are enough to handle these situations. I dislike when new laws are passed when adequate laws alreadty exist. My annoyance was with making everything a felony. I'm sorry, but street racing (and especially watching it)isn't that bad. Watching street racing should just be a disorderly conduct citation. Any piling on of laws gives government greater opportunity to increase its power over the people.

On DUI/DWI, it's the fact that there does not even need to be proof that you broke any laws to be pulled over for a breathalyzer. I'd like to have a statute that at least requires proof that a police officer has reason to believe you are driving drunk before he pulls you over. Then, I believe you should have to fail a test which assesses your ability to drive. Then the evidence would go to a judge (night or day), who would issue an order authorizing the seizure of the bodily sample. If it was not possible to get the order in a timely manner, the sample cannot be tested until the order is given, or destroyed if not given in 24 hours. I think the requirement to provide a sample without an order is contrary to the 4th (illegal search and seizure) and 5th (providing testimony against yourself) amendments.

I have issues with how the Constitutionality of laws is determined. I believe it should have to fall within the enumerated powers of government to be Constitutional. The Supreme Court (determined by a Chief Justice who believed in a strong central government) decided otherwise, with inadequate recourse on the part of the people.

I believe both the law and the method of enforcement must be Constitutional, and my standards are different than the Supreme Court's, but more in line with the author's intent.

Sorry, but I think the level of attack we're putting against first time DWI offenders is excessive. Give them their one mistake (unless they hurt someone), then if they repeat within 10 years, throw the book at them.

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
#6310 03/23/02 06:29 AM
F
F
Ok so let's all buy hondas then the police will get tired of waiting for you to get faster than the speed limit. unless ur in a 20 MPH zone

98.5 CSVT
CTA open air element
Otherwise stock
#6311 03/23/02 01:04 PM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by BIGS:
thats fine, i just dont like those cars.
I don't recall a poll asking if you liked it or not, do you?

And anytime you wanna throw your "something or another" modded SVT into the arena (be it auto x or 1/4 mile), just tell me. I'll be more than happy to show you how well this ugly car performs against yours.....

Not that it is that much faster, I just have a hunch you drive as well as you type....

1991 GVR4
Lots of mods done.
#6312 03/23/02 04:25 PM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by BIGS:
thats fine, i just dont like those cars.
And the Rose Nylund Medal of Conversational Excellence goes to...

Brinn Riley
Melbourne, FL
'00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard