Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Twisty Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
I was if anyone had a picture or know where I could get one for a 1998 contour svt. My speedometer has a short or something else I maybe wrong so I'll tell you what it is doing and if I'm a complete moron you can tell me what is really wrong. I was driving along and all of the sudden the needle just drops to zero so I gave the dash a gentle tap ok is was more like a bang but nothing happens. At this point I'm very pissed since I got the car about a month ago. Anyway down the road away it comes back to life and is normal. The whole day it plays this game with me so I had to use the rmps for a speedo. I have had two car that have had problems with the speedo but they were both mechanical and I can tell this is not so the only other thing I could think of that there was a short in the wire somewhere or there is something wrong with the ground. So if you know what is wrong or know where I can get a wire diagram that would be a great help. Sorry for the long post.

edit: subject revised.

Last edited by horseydug; 05/09/03 10:39 AM.

1998 Ford Contour SVT bonestock for now.
#629891 05/09/03 08:19 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Dont have a schematic handy, but check the large connector to the transmission for corrosion. Although it could be in the dash, I think it's more likely to be the connection to the vehicle speed sensor.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Wiring straight forward. Single wire(W/BL) goes from VSS to big electrical connector at driver's strut tower, then it's a (W/BL)wire via connector above fuse panel to instrument cluster.

Here's a recent thread on speedo problems: speedo

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard