Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
I have never heard of removing the rotor retaining nuts, I have had no problems with mine adn didn't take them off.

The hub-centric rings should come with the wheels. If you have lost them or didn't get any, you might try contacting the place you bought the wheels from or the manufacturer andd see if they'll send you replacements or if you can buy them, I wouldn't think they' cost too much.

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
Originally posted by xdouble:
Originally posted by RogerB:
Make sure the rotor retaining nuts are removed. (Those little flat discs over two of the lugs at each wheel. Take them off. They served a purpose during initial factory assembly, but are no longer needed.)

I agree. When I got new wheels, I didn't take the rotor retainers off and had a vibration like you; started around 60-70 mph. I had the hubcentric rings installed at the time too. After removing the retainers, the vibration was gone.

Could someone post a pic of these retainers, I am not sure what you speak of.

2k silver svt #1721 Ignorance breeds stupidity..
U
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
U
Nevermind, I took a look and saw them.

2k silver svt #1721 Ignorance breeds stupidity..
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I forgot about those. With my Enkei's, when I took them back to be rebalanced, they also removed them, so that could have been the problem. My Rota's are hub centric, so no rings were needed. You can try to find out if yours are hubcentric.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by unknown:

Same here !!!!!

regarding the balancing.. I went back to the shop, and the right side rim was 1.25 / -.50 off... he did rebalance it...

I drove saturday the thing seemed to be much better...

Sunday I was driving and I started to feel the vibrations again

I'm gonna check these retainers.. but I have no heck idea what u guys are talking about

Is it something I am supposed to remove ?? If so, how come it is there ??? And if I remove, will I have any kinda problems ?

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BBorges:
Ok.. I just put my rims with 4 brand new Kumhos 712. The guy did balanced all 4 and put them on.

This is a problem I see with a LOT of tire places that have Technicians
balance tires who don't know what the F**K they are doing.

If they balanced the tires with the LABELS on them, the labels act like parachutes while the tire is spinning.
The whole thing gets balanced with this, and then they are mounted on the car.
You take out your car and get on the highway.
Once the labels are scrubbed off, the parachute effect goes away and the tires are unbalanced.

If it was done right the first time, you wouldn't be going back.

When you get there, look around to see if anyone is balancing tires.
Look to see if the LABEL is spinning around with the tire.
If see it being done, point it out to the shop manager,
and explain to him that is why you had to come back.

Pete... 2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black Clearcoat/Dark Charcoal LEATHER DOB 10/31/2003 DOP 1/2/2004 www.mercurymarauder.net
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BBorges:
Originally posted by unknown:

Same here !!!!!

I'm gonna check these retainers.. but I have no heck idea what u guys are talking about

Is it something I am supposed to remove ?? If so, how come it is there ??? And if I remove, will I have any kinda problems ?

Take off a wheel. Look at the wheel mounting face. If there is anything around any of your lugs, take it off.

On the factory assembly line, these thin, washer-like things are threaded onto two studs at each wheel, to retain the rotor in position while the car moves down the line to get calipers and wheels put on. They serve no purpose once the car is assembled, and cause no harm because the stock wheels have little cutouts so they'll seet properly against the rotor hat. Nobody notices until they put on aftermarket wheels, which don't have the little cutouts.

Another problem I had once was that the centering rings that came with the wheels didn't seat properly in the wheel's center bore. They would not stay put, so I ended up putting them over the hub, and then mounting the wheel. I doubt they were ever seated properly, and I don't think the vibration ever went away completely. My Tire Rack wheels came with rings that snapped into the center bore and stayed put.

HTH.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Where are the retainers ????

Here are the pictures of my hubs.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Where are the retainers supposed to be ???

by the way.. do u guys think it is about time to change my rotors ?? It feels kinda of ROUGH when I am braking....

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Nice coating. Is that rust-colored hi-temp? Flat brown cadmium plating? Didn't know that color was offered.

I don't see any retainers, but if the rotors look that bad, I wonder what the hubs look like.

Everything has to be really flat. Microns make a difference. Any imperfection in the hub face, or the rotor hat (where the wheel mounts), has to be removed.

After that, I'm out of ideas.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
What junkyard was that?

The reatiners if not on the hubs around the wheel pilot, would be in the wheels hubs thenselves. Take pics of the bakside of youwheels for us, and this time, of a vehicle you actually own/drive.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard