Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Ok.. I just put my rims with 4 brand new Kumhos 712. The guy did balanced all 4 and put them on.

When I go around 60-70mph the cr shakes like HELL. And I didn't have this problem with my stock rims...

I know the Kumhos are a little nosy... but if they were balanced correctly they shouldn't vibrate, should they ??

I called up the tires supplier, I'll bring the car saturday so that he's gonna re-check the balancing.

I was just afraid it could be something else,... but it wouldn't make any sense.. would it ?? I mean, I am only having the vibrations since I put the new rims on. It could not possibly be something else, right ???

And yeah.. I know, they are cheap tires.... but they should behave at higher speeds, shouldn't they ?

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Did you use hub-centric ring in the center of the wheels? It is a ring about the size of an average onion ring that fits in the wheels to make them fit more snug on the hub. I'm sure someone can explain their purpose better than I can, but I know they helpe reduce vibrations.

Did they balance the wheels with stick on weights? On the inside of the wheel? There is always a possibility they weren't balanced correctly, but my guess is the hub-centic rings will fix it.

Good luck!

2000 SVT Contour - Silver # 1675/2150 For Sale195/55/15 Bridgestone Blizzaks on Steelies <10k miles - $300 PM me for more info
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by BBorges:
When I go around 60-70mph the cr shakes like HELL.

what xactly vibrates? if the steering wheel is where ya feel da vibration - it's 100% - a f***ed up balance job

Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Get them re-balanced. Make sure they used the hubcentric rings, though. Happened to me when I got my Enkei's and then again with the Rota's. When I returned, I let them know the set up wasn't balanced properly, so they made sure they did it right the second time.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Hubcentric rings? What? I've experienced the exact same scenario. Got the wheels rebalanced and it's better, but not perfect. Hmmm...where would one locate some hubcentric rings?

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
I don't know about you, but the 711's are good on my car

no shaking, not noisy...can't even tell if I have 17s or if I still have 14s

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
B
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by Eric L:
Did you use hub-centric ring in the center of the wheels?

$HIT !!

You guys are completly right.

When I bought the rims last fall it came with the "onion rings" and I made sure they were properly installed...

This time I was in a hurry and I didn't even noticed that...

$hit... what if it is missing one onion ring and I have to buy it ?? Could I find that for sale that would fit perfectly my Rage 5.0 ???

I hope that is it...

Thanks

Anything is POSSIBLE... sowing the seeds of love"
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Make sure the rotor retaining nuts are removed. (Those little flat discs over two of the lugs at each wheel. Take them off. They served a purpose during initial factory assembly, but are no longer needed.)

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
X
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by RogerB:
Make sure the rotor retaining nuts are removed. (Those little flat discs over two of the lugs at each wheel. Take them off. They served a purpose during initial factory assembly, but are no longer needed.)

I agree. When I got new wheels, I didn't take the rotor retainers off and had a vibration like you; started around 60-70 mph. I had the hubcentric rings installed at the time too. After removing the retainers, the vibration was gone.

Matt 2000 SVT Toreador #1210 of 2150
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
so u guys r saying to remove those little rings that r up against the rotors? and the hub centric rings r supposed to come w/ the wheels. i bought axis neos that i haven't installed yet. so they should have little rings on the back of them?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard