Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pigeon Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My trunk release solenoid had crapped out on me mid-winter and my key lock is currently jammed so all I had was the cable release. This was making me uncomforatble so I wanted to get somethign working again. I attempted to remove the solenoid, got the screws out and the electrical connection undone but couldn't get at the actuating rod, so I smacked the solenoid a few times with a screwdriver, plugged it back in, drenched it in silicone and hit the button. Imagine my surprize when it worked! It doesn't sound very healthy, but for those of you who have dead trunk releases, try giving the solenoid a good whack and disconnecting/reconnecting the electrical connector.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M

??????????????

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
A lil' percussive maintenance can go a long way.

Bless our servicemen & women overseas. L.Cpl Ian Malone, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, R.I.P.
E
E
Does it completly open when you activate the trunk release? When I try to open the trunk it pops and doesn't open like the Taurus' trunk. I am just wondering if it is supposed to. Any ideas?

--EnoSonic 1998.5 SVT Contour E1 K&N Filter,Flowmasters,Optimized TB,Removed Resonator '93 Mustang LX Coupe !Smoking the "Reefer"! Smokin' the Reefer
P
Pigeon Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by EnoSonic:
Does it completly open when you activate the trunk release? When I try to open the trunk it pops and doesn't open like the Taurus' trunk. I am just wondering if it is supposed to. Any ideas?

Nope, just releases. There's a spring available that's an easy fit to give the trunk a push open when you release it. I don't know the part # offhand, but a search here should turn it up.

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Mine's been dead for a long time. Guess it might be worth tinkering.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by Pigeon:
My trunk release solenoid had crapped out on me mid-winter and my key lock is currently jammed so all I had was the cable release. This was making me uncomforatble so I wanted to get somethign working again. I attempted to remove the solenoid, got the screws out and the electrical connection undone but couldn't get at the actuating rod, so I smacked the solenoid a few times with a screwdriver, plugged it back in, drenched it in silicone and hit the button. Imagine my surprize when it worked! It doesn't sound very healthy, but for those of you who have dead trunk releases, try giving the solenoid a good whack and disconnecting/reconnecting the electrical connector.

Scott

Yeah, sometimes all a stuck solenoid needs is a little "love-tap" -- followed like you did by a stiff shot of silicone or a dry-film lubricant. Luckily, mine went out when the warranty was still in-force (The dipstick Ford "tech" who had my keyless remote in the ignition as he was working on the car initially said the reason it didn't work was because the car didn't have that feature ... and the Service Writer tried to back him up! That was good for a hearty laugh and an even heartier phone call to the owner of the dealership).

Will remember your post in case the replacement hangs up, too.

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Pigeon:

Scott

You wouldn't happen tohave any pics / diagrams of how the solenoid hooks up in there do ya? Do you think it'd be easy to retro-fit the OEM solendoid on a car that doesn't have the keyless entry / remote trunk? I was gonna add it via a car alarm.

Shawn

'98 Contour SE Sport v6 ATX - totaled in August of '05 '95 Mustang GT Convertible - 5-Speed.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have this part # taped to my monitor and think its the trunk release helper spring-thingy: F8RZ 63431B04-AA

I'm here for a good time, not a long time. '96 GL Zetec ATX (R.I.P.) '86 Mustang LX ragtop (wants to be 5.0 when it grows up) '96 Dodge Stratus '95 Mercury Sable wagon
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
that easy, damn, gonna go to mine right now. i never got a key for my trunk, how sad.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard