Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6288 03/22/02 03:19 PM
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill 97SE:
Here's the law and the changes that have been made.
[Anyone spectating, or assisting is guilty of same. Repeat spectating is a felony.
Absolute arrest on the spot.
Ticket costs alone are between $250-$750
misdemeanor

30 (4)(a) No person shall in any manner facilitate, aid
31 or abet, or participate or be a spectator in any drag race,
1 race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition, nor shall
2 such person for the purpose of speed competition obstruct or
3 cause in any manner, or place a barricade or obstruction that
4 causes, the movement of traffic to slow or stop in any such
5 drag race, race, competition, contest, test, or exhibition.
6 Any person who violates this paragraph commits a misdemeanor
7 of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or
8 s. 775.083.

Paul Dippel
93 SHO MTX
99 SVT Contour
68 Mustang Convertible
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/alfa/971/
#6289 03/22/02 05:24 PM
J
J
I beleive Neil posted that link a few days ago, but yes I have heard the same thing. It sucks. Dont get me wrong, im not Fast and Felonious but a random stop light drag isnt that big a deal every once in awhile. Especially in FL, "the land of the straightest of all roads" I usually let off after about 65 on the street because ive made my point by then. Its the idiots who give it a bad name. What REALLY pisses me off is that in FL, if you have no insurance, its a $70 ticket for the cheap SOB illegal aliens that get away with anything and everything under the sun while they target the auto enthusiasts. God forbid some of us really do know how to drive...the cops take it personally!

The "ricer fly by" after a lost-race is just their inability to stop with 5" drum brakes if you ask me >g<

Jonathan
98 SVT E0 #4290
#6290 03/22/02 05:38 PM
B
B
confused
Quote:
then dont drag race
confused

Yeah sure sounds great!
Maybe you shouldnt sleep either, or maybe not eat.

98 SVT
MODS:
Something or another
#6291 03/22/02 06:37 PM
I
I
I remember when Sandman was the only high and mighty person here. He actually had a reason, though.

I don't drag race, but I've made sufficient points several times in the past how street racing can be safe given the right conditions. I'm also not about to spew "then don't drag race" sentiments because I've been there in the past and I'm there every day and I know sometimes it's not that easy.

Not that anyone makes you drag race, but there are many situations where no harm can possibly come of it and it's very difficult to look at the kid with the stupid look on his face and watch him take off and just ease it into first after him.

That spectating law is also pretty nuts.

Black '99 Civic Si
cams and motorwork
I am the anti-rice. -EPBurn

integral@adres.nl
#6292 03/22/02 06:54 PM
S
S
MarkO, don't even get me started on how ridiculous the whole DWI/DUI thing has become. Not only has the government taken away our 5th Amendment right (we are required to give Breathalyzer "testimony" against ourselves without a court order), we are denied due process (license is revoked without being convicted of a crime).

Also, as I believe people are entitled to make one mistake, I think first time penalties are too harsh. It's the repeat offenders that we need to buck down on... the people with 20 offenses (how is even getting that many possible), rather than ruining the life of a person that made one stupid mistake.

I agree that driving is a privilege, but it is wrong for us to give up our civil rights when we're doing it.

Making things like drag racing a felony is ridiculous. I am frankly tired of government crinimalizing everything.

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
#6293 03/22/02 08:25 PM
A
A
In Fremont,Ca if you are a SPECTATOR you get a $500 fine on your first offense. If you are racing your car will for sure get impounded and it will likely cost you 400-1000 to get your car out of impound depending on how long they kept it(usually 30 days). Not only that but the ticket it self will probably be in the $300+ range. Oh and don't forget about your insurance rate damn near doubling. Which is where they really get you because if you don't have proof of insurance in CA they will tow your car, back to, you guessed it the impound yard.

99' tropic green SVT
2558/2760
born on 08/06/99
KKM, resonator removed, B&M short throw, SHO shop y-pipe w/cat,
Pioneer deck, Boston Accoustics 10" rallys, MTX thunder amp
#6294 03/22/02 08:31 PM
A
A
OK Infuryum!
Don't race if your not prepared to pay the price for getting caught or killing someone while doing so!

SVT Car Boy!
If driving is a prviledge then when the state takes it a way your not losing a civil right your having a privledge revoked. Just as when a person is jailed for a violent crime. It's to protect everyone else from you. They don't sentence you there on the spot. They right you a ticket and tell you to be prepared to go to court.

-Andy

Andy Watson
'99 Silver SVT #2397| DOB 07/29/99
Graci!

American Iron Shoot Out - Event Promoter!
Check it out, we need your input!
Www Dot American Iron Shoot Out Dot Com
#6295 03/22/02 09:02 PM
D
D
I think the penalty for DWI/DUI should be much stiffer!!!

Anyone who doesn't does not deserve the right to drive.

It is the ultimate act of irresponcibility behind the wheel. Therefore it should garner the most severe punishment. I would even go as far as permanent revocation of one's license for multiple offenders. Then jail time when the idiots drive again anyway! (hell just shoot the bastages! I don't want to have to pay for them!)

Now some of the "drag racing" punishments can be a bit severe IMO. However they are the law and if by your own chosing decide to put yourself in those situation; you should pay the penalty and stop whining like a baby because of it.

Just be happy you're not doing it near my house. A monetary fine would be the least of your worries if you came roaring down the street where my children and their friends play!

I'm not saying I never street raced or still don't enjoy a high speed highway sprint. I'm just saying the location makes a big difference and IMO the penalties for such should reflect that.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
#6296 03/22/02 09:14 PM
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by BIGS:
confused
Quote:
[b]then dont drag race
confused

Yeah sure sounds great!
Maybe you shouldnt sleep either, or maybe not eat.[/b]
Good comparison there....

Comapring vital functions to urges.

Hands down one of the stupidist comparisons ever....

1991 GVR4
Lots of mods done.
#6297 03/22/02 09:44 PM
S
S
Driving is a privilege, but it's still wrong for you to be punished without due process. If you commit a violent crime, you are arraigned in front of a judge that can demand bail, no bail, or release on recognisance... based on the situation. In a DWI, you get your license revoked, period, even though in the vast majority of cases the person does not represent a threat to themselves or others, and is a good member of society. I believe first offense DWI's should be just points, a fine, and a substance evaluation. If you are not considered to be an alcoholic, then you're free to go on with your life. Now if you repeat within 10 years, now we're talking a more serious matter which deserves more serious penalties.

I don't approve of drunk driving, but I think the penalities for first offense have gotten out of hand.

Demon, I'm glad you're not making laws. I'd hate to see a system that mandates agreement with your beliefs. Also, I'm amazed that you allow your children and their friends to play in the street. My dad would have whooped by butt for THINKING about playing in the street. That's what your yard is for, preferably back yard.

You can pillage an enemy once, but a customer is an endless resource.

James Oerichbauer - PFPC Global Fund Services

Ross: 1998 E0 SVT Contour, Toreador Red, Konis, Superchip, KKM w/heat shield, SHO-shop y-pipe and rear strut brace, no res, ScotchCal, Moda Sport 16x7.5 wheels with 205/55ZR16 Dayton Dayton tires... more
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard