Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Bring over your disconnected caliper and we'll slip her on and see. I think the rotor offset causes an issue with the outer pad interference.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
oh, I've got brackets and rotors, I just haven't had time to monkey with it. I'll see if I can take a few minutes tonight and look at it.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Stazi:
No. As you cannot use those brackets on the Contour calipers. They are different! I checked.

You didn't check very close . . .

You can use the FSVT anchor bracket with the contour caliper. The only differences from the full FSVT brake swap, is you pull the stock anchor bracket out, and slide the FSVT one into the stock caliper (be sure to re-grease the slide pins w/ brake grease); you also must modify the pad backing plate. The outer FSVT pad backing plate won't seat into the caliper quite right becuase of the profile of the top of the pad; take a grinder or cutoff wheel and shape the bump on it to match the bump on the top of the CSVT pad. You could use CSVT pads I suppose, but they require a bit of grinding down on the sides to clear the FSVT anchor bracket. I didn't try this.

Other than the swapping of the anchor brackets, and the re-shaping of the outer pad backing plate, this is identical to the full FSVT swap. Too bad the FSVT anchor bracket was never released as its own service part.

On Edit - btw, I verified this all tonight on my E1 CSVT

Last edited by Rara; 05/11/05 02:13 AM.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I don't like the idea of grinding anything on brakes.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by Stazi:
I don't like the idea of grinding anything on brakes.

It is a completely non-structural portion of the pad backing plate, only used for alignment to the caliper body.

Last time I checked, I knew a thing or two about brakes myself. I have no qualms about the clearancing I did to the backing plate.

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
Quote:

Too bad the FSVT anchor bracket was never released as its own service part.

so the bracket cant be ordered on its own then?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by hmouta:
Quote:

Too bad the FSVT anchor bracket was never released as its own service part.

so the bracket cant be ordered on its own then?

That is the unfortunate truth. I tried, but I came to the party too late on the FSVT to get it released that way.

O
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by todras:
All the brackets are the same! Only the calipers changed.

SVT (1998 to 5/1999) cars are equipped with larger 278 x 24mm front rotors and larger ATE calipers and pads than standard Contours.

SVT (after 5/1999) also equipped with larger 278mm front rotors but with Cougar calipers that utilize the slightly smaller standard Contour pads

I will disagree with that, I have an E0 svt, and it seemed that one of my brakets was tweaked. I have some E1 braket that I was going to replace it with and they wouldn't bolt up to the knucle.

Fast Cheap reliable Pick two
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
go buy a focus

99 Contour LX MTX, Cone Air Filter, Custom Grille 95 Neon ATX Intake, Ractive Muffler, Green Painted valve cover, fuel rail, and intake, b/w painted interior, white exterior trim, shaded tail lights
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I got an extra wheel hub and some steel along with measuring everything to see what would happen with a bracket that will allow the CSVT brackets to fit FSVT rotors. It definitely will fit.
Just have to be creative on the way the adapter bracket is mounted. I've completed my preliminary sketches and measurements today and I think I'm going to make myself a set to see how it will come out.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard