Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
In truth probably not. Not because I would not be willing to help you or him, but rather that you would do much better to work with a local shop in a more hands on manner. Don't know where you are, but PHX may be a bit of a problem for test fits etc of all the parts, and you'd of course have to supply all the parts to me ahead of time: caliper, bracket and rotor to be used.

Think about it.

BTW, how much larger is this rotor over what you are using?

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Focus rotor is 12" I thought and the contour is 10.9"

I have to buy a rotor and then proceed to do the test fit.
It seems that I would need to move the current bracket out by roughly 1" and I think that is enough room for a second set of bolt holes without cutting into the mounting locations on the steering knuckle.

Oh well, thanks anyway. I will probably look at the options I have locally after I get the initial bracket built.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Think again. What's the difference in size of the rotor?
1"+ I believe. Now...how much would you be moving out the bracket? Think half that.

Less Bling, more Zing Todd/TCE www.tceperformanceproducts.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Oh yeah, no sh|t!
I guess I've been thinking that way all along and then talking out my ass.

I'll have to wait until I get a hold of a rotor and see what I can do plus take actual measurements.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Yeah, i've got all the measurements, me and a "CAD Monkey" friend were working on it for awhile. The CSVT rotor is 278mm vs the FSVT rotor at 300mm. The differences between the required caliper placements is 11mm radial and 3mm offset (I'm going from memory, so sue me if this isn't exact )

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
OK, I must be dense, but I searched and could not find another FAQ or other info on the Focus brake install. I thought you could just install the Focus calipers (which have the pads and brackets already assembled) right on the SVT.

I just found out that I have to replace both my rotors and pads, so I thought I might as well go all out as long as I'm doing it. From Bill J., only another $100 after the core charge over stock rotors and pads.

Any advice? Put in a new thread?

Thanks.

Steven

'98.5 SVT
currently undergoing DMD transformation!!!

Steven '98.5 SVT DMD, K&N, Magnaflow res, Falcon floormats, electrochomatic rearview mirror and other little goodies
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Rara:
Yeah, i've got all the measurements, me and a "CAD Monkey" friend were working on it for awhile. The CSVT rotor is 278mm vs the FSVT rotor at 300mm. The differences between the required caliper placements is 11mm radial and 3mm offset (I'm going from memory, so sue me if this isn't exact )

My lawyer will call your lawyer! J/K

Ok, but does that mean that there is not enough room to bolt a bracket to the existing mounting ears and then bolt the SVT bracket to this intermediate bracket?

I've been thinking about it today and I am really not sure anymore.

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by warmonger:

Ok, but does that mean that there is not enough room to bolt a bracket to the existing mounting ears and then bolt the SVT bracket to this intermediate bracket?

Therein lies the problem, making a bracket fit in there. I've gotten pretty close actually, but the end result bracket still doesn't have room for one of the necessary bolts to fit; and the overall bracket design is quite large and heavy to even get this close.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
What about tapping new holes in the current SVT bracket to move the bolt locations out a little further? To take it to the next level, can we offset the current bolt-hole and then fill in the extra part with a weld-bead?

R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by warmonger:
What about tapping new holes in the current SVT bracket to move the bolt locations out a little further? To take it to the next level, can we offset the current bolt-hole and then fill in the extra part with a weld-bead?

the cost and effort that you would expend to do that could buy some new svt focus calipers. . . not to mention that the resulting work could potentially be very unsafe.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard