Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
What is the interest in FSVT brakes versus just SVT brakes or others?

The FSVT calipers are either the same as E0 SVT, or close so they should weigh about the same and use similar weight and composition pads.
The only benefit I see is the bigger rotor. I would like bigger rotors.

Anyway, if bigger rotors is the only real advantage to the FSVT brakes, then why not a small custom bracket designed to utilize the FSVT rotors and retain whatever stock caliper you have? If I understand it right, all the contour/cougar brake systems have the same bolt hole alignment for the caliper mounting bracket but just use different brackets and/or calipers.
Why can't we just make the custom bracket that is similar in purpose to the one that BAT sells for people to upgrade standard size contour rotors to SVT rotors?

If it would pay for itself, I would look into having a bracket built. I have some sketches that I'm confident will reasonably easy for a machine shop to make and I'm confident will work very well. I would of course defer to one of these brake gurus on here if they are willing to build one and sell them.
However, if no one else does, then how many people would be interested in this? Just jump in and say yay or nay if you would pay a fair sum for a bracket, or a bracket and rotor combo.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
I've actually been planning on doing this. Perhaps even selling the brackets w/ FSVT rotors and appropriate hardware.
Worldtour and I have been doing a bit of research on getting a little "kit" together at a reasonable price.

Oddly enough, I'm actually waiting on some tires, so I can put my stock E1's back on for the summer, so I won't have to take the FSVT brakes off right away. I just need to get some decent on vehicle measurements for clearances and whatnot and head off to the machine shop.

And no, no word on pricing as of yet.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Hell yeah, fellas. Make this happen. My stock E0 calipers, your custom bracket, and FSVT rotors sound like the shizznit!

Ben TROLL BECAUSE I SOLD MY 1998 T-Red SVT #4406/6535 Last E0 Made? 1/13/98 SOLD THE SVT TO BUY A 2002 Audi S4 STILL ENJOY MY 1999 Silver Mazda Miata MX-5 Email Me
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
Intresting you brought this up. I was speaking with Stazi and were thinking of coming up with our own version of a Baer kit. He explained to me that that Baer brakes are just Cobra calipers with a different bracket. He said if he could get a hold of a baer bracket he could copy it and make it at his work. Both he and I can get realy good deals on Ford parts. What do you think Rara. Your working on brake sytems currently right?

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Originally posted by livinsvt:
Intresting you brought this up. I was speaking with Stazi and were thinking of coming up with our own version of a Baer kit. He explained to me that that Baer brakes are just Cobra calipers with a different bracket. He said if he could get a hold of a baer bracket he could copy it and make it at his work. Both he and I can get realy good deals on Ford parts. What do you think Rara. Your working on brake sytems currently right?

Clearances to the wheel could be tough, but I don't see why you couldn't do it. The Baer kit doesn't seem to require any master cylinder modifications (I haven't checked the relative piston areas, but I'm sure the total is at least fairly close).

Another option rather than the Cobra calipers is the std mustang front calipers from 99+ They are twin piston aluminum units from PBR, and actually have larger pistons than the Cobra units. They would likely be cheaper to procure (both V6 and GT uses them) but harder to package under most wheels.

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Sounds good. If you'd like any help with anything, let me know event though I have my own ideas worked out. However, you're the brake engineer!
I'll be content to help you 'test' them if you'd like.

Tom

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
I would be interested in finding a way to mount larger rotors. I just started thinking about this a week or two ago and was about to "search" to see if this is possible or has been done. I would like to try to keep everything stock if possible and just up the rotor size?

I say let's do it.

O3

Parts theory: "Run them til you bust them, and then upgrade" 2000 Svt Black/Tan H&R Springs B&M Short Throw Intake w/K&N
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
The idea actually came about because I was thinking of swapping on the FSVT brakes, but because of my 15" snow tires, I didn't want to be swapping calipers twice a year, so I was thinking of how to do it w/ out opening up the brake lines all the time.

Now I just need some summer tires so my 16"s can go back on so I can get started on a few of the details.

G
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
G
I would be interested as well, E0 SVT calipers with larger rotors.

I may be picking up a set of snows but they are 15", so if all I had to do was swap rotors/brackets to retain the use of 15" rims that would be great.

Greg
-----
'98 SVT Contour

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
My E0 rotors are scored enough that I don't want to have them turned, AND I will soon need new pads. For those of us (like me) that will have to do something soon anyway, keep posting your progress on these ideas!!!!

Would I be interested in an upgrade kit, attractively priced? Heck yeah.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard