Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by bk4293:
I've read alot of bad things about the Khumos, but LoCoZ2.0
(Hector), LoCoChick'95(Heather, and myself all rode on Khumos through some rain storms down south and they gripped pretty well. After reading all of those posts about not gripping at all in the rain I was kinda nervous, but I was really impresed with my Ecsta 712's.

Yep. Luke at Tirerack recommended them to me over 5 other tires I was considering (mostly rain slicked streets were my concern). I really like them. I haven't any problems with the grip and they are really quiet (at least so far--but I've had them for 6k). He did say they weren't good for snow, but then I wasn't worried about that earlier this year.

'95 GL White I've got mods.
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
I went from Bridgestone S02's to the Kumho 712's (225/40-18's), primarily due to cost and the fact I needed tires immediately, and I was surprised at how well they handled when compared to my old S02's (I wasn't expecting them to work well at all!). My S02's lasted about 25K miles with a lot of commuting on them. My 712's lasted 35K with a lot more spirited driving (a 3.0 will encourage more agressive driving...LOL.). I was thinking about getting them again, but I went back to the S02's for now. I may try the MX's next time....

dion 98 SVT, 200 whp/190 lb. ft tq (tuned by ADC), 3.0, P&P heads w/2.5L valves, optimized TB, MSDS, SCA 2.5" catback, SHOshop UIM/LIM, underdrive pulley set, TD's, Koni/H&R, BAER/TCE, Progress, CF1 products
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by dion:
I went from Bridgestone S02's to the Kumho 712's (225/40-18's), primarily due to cost and the fact I needed tires immediately, and I was surprised at how well they handled when compared to my old S02's (I wasn't expecting them to work well at all!).

I think that should pretty much answer it when someone can compare the 712's to S-02's! I LOVED my 712's and was po'd when they didn't have them in stock and I needed tires NOW.
Of course now I have T1S's but they're twice the price so it's a toss up there...

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
I went from Bridgestone RE 730 225/50/15 tires on stock rims to the 235/40/17's on Superior Scoundrels. The 15's gripped better in straight line and had less scrub on corner entrance. About the only thing the 712's do well is wear (pisses me off because I can't justify replacing them yet) and go through rain (HUGE center channel, I'd rather it be filled with rubber!). They also feature a rim protection bead <--- outstanding for a cheap tire. Outside that, they do hold air I guess...

I don't autocross, I don't drag race, but I do like my tight entrance and exit ramps!

Other tires I would pick over the 712's...

Yoko AVS Sport
Bridgestone Potenza RE 750
Dunlop SP Sport FM901
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus
Pirelli P7000 SUPERSPORT

I'd even spend over twice the price and get the S03 PP Perrelli...

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
has to be more than one person that hates them lol

but yeah they wear well, i drive mine hard around corners and they hold up well and havent worn much at all

98 contour gl, v6 auto 01 explorer sport v6 auto 2001gtp AT gmail DOT com
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Any tire that leaves only clean spots when smoking, instead of thick black patches, doesn't deserve to be on a performance sedan. If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

There are more that hate them, but to many people that have them are comparing them against other cheap tires. To other cheap tires, they fare fairly well unless you know what you're looking for. Look for something on special or on closeout instead. You'll get a much better tire. Even spending only $20-$30 more per tire is worth the extra value you'll get.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
P
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
P
hehe no black patch here, or anything, cant even make them squak with a fuggin ATX

oh well, corners nice, highways are nice, and rain driving is a blast

98 contour gl, v6 auto 01 explorer sport v6 auto 2001gtp AT gmail DOT com
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by bnoon:
If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there

Plain-jane 3.0L supercharged E0 FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR STOCK SVT PLUS CASH WTB- 36# return injectors
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
I have the same tires also. I was and still am impressed by them. There a great tire.

96 LX/Sport Roush/ST200 Pro-Flow KKM w/Heatshield Bat Pipe SVT TB,UIM,LIM,Brakes http://www.cardomain.com/id/lxsport
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by offroadSVT:
Originally posted by bnoon:
If anyone thinks they have enough straight line traction, you're underpowered, and I feel sorry for you.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there

And I'm going to have to disagree with you

I'm with Brad on this topic 100%. 712's are nowhere near the level of a performance tire IMHO. The reason they last so damn long is because they might as well be made out of plastic! With my puny, underpowered SVT (mainly stock) I have problems with traction in both straightline and cornering techniques. I've put a ton of miles on these tires, driving them as hard as my stock diff will let me and they still have way too much tread left for the abuse they have taken. Not to mention the negative camber with my Koni's and GC's

Also, their wet handling is awful in comparison with other tires I have used. Just today our horribly wet and gloomy day made for a perfect example. On a road that was just wet, not soaked or flooded, my ABS kicked on during a just above average pressure braking situation. This is slowing down for a 20 mph corner while doing 35mph. I'm sorry, but this is way too scary for me, considering I wasn't even driving aggressively.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  1314_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard