Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mk1gti Offline OP
OP Offline
M
my 1998 ford contour zetec 4 has a problem with filling the gas tank. I remember reading somewhere that it might have something to do with a pressure bleed valve or something like that. Anyone have any input on what causes this and how it can be resolved? Basically I can only fill the gas tank 5 cents at a time. Imagine how long a fuel stop is. . . . Grrrrrr. Do you know if this is a factory recall issue or will I have to pay something out of pocket?

H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
There's a recall that my brother did to my '98 when he owned it related to the fuel filler neck, IIRC. I'll look it up at home tonight.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
It was a recall on mine. I had it done and the problem got worse now Ford wants to charge me to have it done again. I wish I could take it to the ford dealer that did it the first time but they are 3000 miles and a giant ocean away.

98 SE Sport. custom catback, Intrax springs, 3L, 3L valves, APEXi S-AFC, 24# injectors. Other cars: 72 Challenger 360 motor 727 trans (used for parts) 73 Challenger 340 motor 727 trans 15.60 1/4 with bad miss and clogged fuel filter.
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
many contour drivers feel your pain including myself although its not as bad as u describe...what i do to minimize it is

1...pull the nozzle lever open only just enough to get the fuel flowing at a moderate pace...anything less than full flow seems to help

2...hold the nozzle up (in the position u place it into the tank)...usually this will let me fill up without the pump shutting off continously, even at full flow

works for me...

99 expedition eddie bauer, 5.4 v8, k&n drop-in, 3" magnaflow catback and gas mileage that makes the contour look like a hybrid
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
I agree with gdub520, especially tip #2...
when you pump the gas, lift up on the rear of the nozzle (where the hose connects to nozzle). You will probably find a sweet-spot where you can fill it most of the way if not all of the way without stopping.
My car has the same problem, but Ford dealership says no recall for my VIN# (same goes for my broken shift lever bezel).... not sure what year models the recall applies to... but it should apply to early '95s.

'95 'stiqueLS 2.5L ATX S&B / CTA intake KEM Mag-Plus wires 1/4" TH fix Homemade heat shield Xenon bulbs Fog light rewire ATX cooler Flowmaster 942042 Blacked-out pseudo-chrome
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
TSB 98-15-3 it's a one-way plastic flapper (it swells and sticks) in the end of the fill tube (where it goes into the tank).
Tank has to be removed to replace it.
I didn't have mine done, I just carry a piece of nylon tubing (found in my garage)3/16" diameter and 58" long. I just insert it (contacts at about 42") and one or easy tap the the flapper is un-stuck. Plastic piece looks to be the prize straight out of a box of Cracker Jacks.
Mine only sticks in the summer or seasonal changes. It's gotten better since I hardly ever use ethanol/methanol fuels anymore.
Didn't want the TSB done several years ago, no spare tanks in the parts supply chain at that time. Tanks have been cracked removing them.
Paul
98 Mystique LS (07/97)

Last edited by F111D F; 05/03/03 03:26 PM.

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I have the same problem at some gas stations with my 96 tour and 95 mystique... instead of putting the nozzel from the gas pump in the way you usually do... rotate it 180 degrees and it will situpsidedown(hose on top) .. this allows it to fill up good luck

-Mike 96GL 2.0 Zetec CTA Intake SVT Exhaust

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard