Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Has anyone tried installing front headrests on the rear seat? I am wondering if it is safe to drill holes into the top part of the rear leather seat and just slide the metal posts from the headrest into the holes.

I
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
I
I would think that you should be able to find some brackets that you'd be able to mount to the deck rather than cutting the leather of the seat. If the headrests you're using have the round rods, it would be easy to find some collars that could be used. Find Grainger catalog, you'll probably find something you could use in there.

contours, deloreans & fiats, oh my!
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
I haven't but thats a cool idea. Only thing I would worry about are the looks. The rear seat(SVT) has a built in headrest of sorts.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Wouldnt that block your veiw just a little?

97 Mystquie GS - I4 ATX died at 168K 94 Pontiac Crap AM SE - 2.3L I4 5spd 2002 Mazda Protege5 - 2.0L ATX
G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
They should be motorized and retractable! Only up when someones nogin is there.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by biochemist:
I am wondering if it is safe to drill holes into the top part of the rear leather seat and just slide the metal posts from the headrest into the holes.

That's stupid and dangerous! 1st your rear vision will be obstructed, and second, just inserting the metals rods into foam could end up a deadly weapon if someone rears ends you with someone in the back seat. Their heads would fly back, hit the headrest and tilt them back causing the rods to tilt forward and stab them in the shoulders, because theirs nothign stopping them from doing that.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by biochemist:
Has anyone tried installing front headrests on the rear seat? I am wondering if it is safe to drill holes into the top part of the rear leather seat and just slide the metal posts from the headrest into the holes.

They'd flop all over the place, those are cheap rear seatbacks. You could put them on the rear shelf area with some custom made posts. For example, you took two from a tour and either had the post bent back to slide into the rear shelf, or you had custom bars made.... I think it's doable, but $$$????

"Fear is the little death." Muadib.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I agree on the dangerous part of just installing them into the foam, but blockage of view I dont see where that is. You look through the middle of the rear window not through the passenger headrests. Out the side windows it would have no effect either.
-Matt

98 Silver Frost SVT Frostie
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
ACtually it really blocks your view IF you put big ones, i.e. your fornt seat headrests back there. The Contique really has a small rear window and rear visability isn't as great as bigger cars, or even other cars in it's class (which I may say doesn't really exist anymore)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by m4gician:
ACtually it really blocks your view IF you put big ones, i.e. your fornt seat headrests back there. The Contique really has a small rear window and rear visability isn't as great as bigger cars, or even other cars in it's class (which I may say doesn't really exist anymore)

Eh, I'm sure big enough headrests would cause a noticeable reduction in visibilty, but for the most part it wouldn't be a big deal. Hell, no worse than when you have 2 people sitting in your back seat!

And the Contour has excellent rear visibility when compared to certain bigger cars... like say the Chrysler 300! lol, I can hardly see anything out of the back when I drive that car.

Nice bump, by the way. Geez, 3+ years!

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard