Page 1 of 2 1 2
#619996 04/30/03 08:46 AM
C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
ok goes like this... install goes fine i put the shims in and everything.

Test #1
brakes totally fail. (rear brakes bring me to a halt) Turns out lugs hadn't stayed torqued... odd but ok whatever.

Test #2
while turning i hear a brake on rotor sound
while brake at moderate pressure i hear that same sound

oddities:
i dismissed these as the consequence of having a bigger piston now.
brake pedal travel is greater
there is a stripe on the rotor about the width of a sharpie. Circular in shape, leads me to believe the pads are uneven, normal kinda stuff with unevenly cut pads, that will be fixed over time.

Any one with some words of wisdom for the noises? Just want to make sure things are not incorrectly done while it is still reletively unused ;P

Turbo'd Cougar 2.0L w/ 75 shot ... its got some stuff in it ... NOT that fast NOT that furious :P
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
did you bleed your brakes right?

what kind of specer did you use?

Didn't have ANY of these problems...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
k, i used 1/2" spacers (not thick, but how big the bolt hole is)... the calipers SEEM to be sitting in the right spot. I bled the system.

Another thing, when i got back from my test run the rotors where hot enough to boil water on... cuz they sizzled when i put my finger on them

Turbo'd Cougar 2.0L w/ 75 shot ... its got some stuff in it ... NOT that fast NOT that furious :P
C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
ill try rebleeding the brakes... maybe there was still some air (doesn't feel like it though). Im gonna take it out again today and see what it does...

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
How are the Ford prices on the FSVT brakes compared to similar aftermarket?

'98 SVT Contour #897:Mods= Intake, exhaust, suspension, & aesthetics www.community.webshots.com/user/rob98csvt897.
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
rob, search for focus brakes a few months back.
there was a full write up with pics and prices.

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
S
Cool Toe Chris
Cool Toe Chris
S
1/2" is way too large! IIRC we used either a .115" or .118" spacer.

Chris NJ 98.5 SVT Silver Frost
C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
heh, ok the 1/2" is NOT THE THICKNESS thats how big the bolt hole is... or at least thats what im led to believe. seeing as i compared the other spacers. even if the spacers are to large, that wouldn't explain the noise while turning unless the caliper is unstable and is wobbling around... doubt that.

C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
measured their thickness... 2mm

C
C-Tec Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
ig you guys dont like to do math, thats .788 inches... looks like i need a THICKER spacer...urfgggg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard