Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#616486 04/28/03 02:17 AM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Is the 3.0 liter Taurus Duratec the same configuration as the 2.5 in the Contour? Specifically, does it has the same water pump arrangement? If so, does the Taurus 3.0 have the same history of waterpump failures as the 2.5? My local dealer claims he has never has seen a waterpump failure on any Duratec engine.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
This belongs in the 3L forum.

It is basically the same motor, but only certain years have the same waterpump configuration. There are other small details so use the search feature in the 3L forum or must post and ask questions.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by warmonger:

Easy there big boy. He was asking about how the 3.0 compares to the 2.5 in terms of the Water Pump, maybe cuz he thinks the 3.0 pump might be better. That would have relevance in the forum.

D.

1999 Ford Contour SE 5spd 74km
K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
There is so much hostility on what goes in what forum..
chalk that up as an issue along with the search and the repost issues

As for your question.. sorry to say I do not have an answer.. sorry..

Black 98.5 SVT "Kellie" First rule of italian driving: What is behind you, DOESN'T matter
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
99+ 3.0L heads require an electric waterpump
2001 engine uses the stock location as the 2.5L duratec but you have to figure out what to do with the LIM/UIM.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Daniel Segall:
Originally posted by warmonger:

Easy there big boy. He was asking about how the 3.0 compares to the 2.5 in terms of the Water Pump, maybe cuz he thinks the 3.0 pump might be better. That would have relevance in the forum.

D.

Uhmmmm...as warmonger knows more about 3Ls than 99% of the people on here...both NA and Turbo...you might want to listen to him..

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Our 99 Sable (Duratec) does not have the same waterpump setup. It looks like it's mounted on the 'front' and driven off of the accessory belt. No WP failures, but there only 14K on the car...

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Just listen to what warmonger has to say. 99 and 2000 pump driven off the accessory belt. not as many problems as the 2.5 pump but you are looking at a completeley different pump..as for this being in the 3l forum ..what is the post about ? o yea a "3l" ..try doing a search there might get some more help

98 Black SVT~ The most logical statment I have ever heard was by a local mechanic. "Everything is somewhere."
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I'm sorry if I upset anybody by posting in the "wrong forum". I was trying to figure out if the 3.0 liter in the Taurus/Sable is a clone to the 2.5 in the Contour. I figured it was a "coin toss" which forum to post in.

My Mom is looking to buy a new car and she was looking at a Sable, but I was a little uneasy if the 3.0 duratec was prone to the same problems (waterpump and cats failing) as the 2.5 engine.

Frankly, I'm doing my best to steer her to a Camry, since I think it would be a much more dependable car than a Sable, but there aren't any Toyota dealers in her hometown. Although I've had fair luck with my 2.5 duratec, I don't know if I'd recommend this engine to somebody like my mother, who changes oil twice a year, at best, and doesn't do any maintenance until the "red light" comes on. Mom's 80 and needs dependability more than any degree of performance.

-Mark- '99 Mystique LS, totally original (including the original water pump and the premium stereo)! Bought new in December 1998 for $21,000. 208,000 miles
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
The 3L Duratecs are more dependable than the 2.5 ones are, by far. The 3L's larger counterweights keep the factory bearings in place and the water pumps on the earlier ('00 and older) had a better water pump design, while the '01 and newer ones are new enough that they have the white plastic water pumps. The white ones are far better than the black ones are, at least judging by the failure rates of the black ones vs. white ones anyway.

Also, a note on the Camry vs. Sable debate you're having... The Camry is "all new" this year. We have one as a rental right now (fiancee's car was in an accident). The Camry is a decent car, but power, comfort, and ride are all better in the Sable/Taurus, at least in my eyes. If you still don't like the Duratec, get one with the Vulcan FFV drivetrain and save some bucks.

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard