Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Look at the facts? I am guessing your little high school punk a$$ has looked into many things past what should I do today and should I use my right or left hand tonight?? I am just informing the general public about this not being the best solution for HP gains. With someone like you there is just no helping you, I seeing great burger flipping and French fry frying skills for you in the future. I am also ashamed to drive the same car as such an absolute no talent a$$ clown as yourself. If you have anything intelligent to say in response I would be very surprised!!!

Lets hear your facts I want them!!!

Canada = little France
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Look Armstrkw, i really do applaud your commitment to the enviornment, and i repect your opinion on the matter, but the fact of the matter is, your complaining to a bunch of car and HP lovers...your not going to get very far on here....and the madder you get the and the more insulting comments you make (that are non-provoked) the less people will listen to you. When you strat explaining yourself with facts instead of insults, then im sure most people will listen to you. But until then don;t expect many people to listen, and honestly your comments have been very harsssing twards many people. I reconmend moving to a diffrent website, or voice the matter to your local environmental agncy. Comming here do start an argument or disagreement. id not going to get you anywhere.

Roz

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/UniqueKeyLookup/SHSU5BUM9T/$File/ghg_gwp.pdf

This is a fair summation and remember that complete combustion results in carbon dioxide and without a cat you are putting out far worse.

Itâ??s really hard to love power and the environment at the same time. That why I picked a fairly fuel efficient car. If I were a freak about it I would've gotten a civic hybrid and if I flat out didn't give a $hit I would've gone with a mustang GT or something similar as far as gas mileage goes like a truck. However, I think the contour SVT is a good balance for what I wanted. I am doing things to get more HP but removing the cats is not it. Thanks for your support, I am quite outnumbered this being more of a power redneck style kind of site.

Canada = little France
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
just to pipe in...i would also like to gut my pre-cats unless someone is willing to give me their old ones that are in working order....and on a seperate subject....just because you have a college degree does not mean you are educated...

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Hey. Just to clarify the catalytic converter thing.
Under full throttle or even greater than part throttle your catalytic converter is not going to oxidize all of the unburnt fuel. In fact it oxidizes very little of the unburnt fuel that is pushed through under heavy load. The catalytic converter is destroyed in most cases by significant amounts of unburnt fuel and it works most efficiently at operating temperature with little to NO unburnt fuel in the exhaust!
Its primary purpose is to convert CO to CO2. The primary reducer of unburnt fuel (HC's) is the combustion chamber and the combustion chamber process! Correct timing, A/F ratio, combustion temp and chamber design are the greatest factors in reducing HC emissions, NOT the catalytic converter.

So in effect, driving your car with CATs at full throttle is probably 90% as problematic with pollution of HC's as a car without CATS.
CO is another issue and results from partial combustion of the fuel. That should be the big winner with cats, but again the combustion process today with electronic fuel control actually plays a bigger part in controlling HC, CO, adn NOx emmissions than any other factor.

Do I agreet that having a cat is cleaner? Yes. Is it significant? In many cases yes. However am I passing the state emissions test? Yes. With the main cat in standard location but gutted precats I passed emission the same day that I first fired up my 3L engine. Extremely low emissions too.
Why did I leave my cat in place? I too wanted to do my part and minimize pollution when I understand that my car is not adversely affected by having a catalytic converter. If you look in my post history you will see that I am a proponent of keeping cats in favor of the emissions gain since there isn't a significant loss of power.
However, I also know that there was no measureable difference in my tailpipe emissions between when I had 3 cats and now have 1 cat. So I'll take the 1 cat to save the weight and allow better performance from headers.
Its all a matter of "gray area" You should learn that there are really no absolutes in this world except death and taxes...and that you sometimes have to pick the lesser of two evils based upon your wants/needs. You did in your own way, but you see people like me as evil because 50 ppm HC's is acceptable to me rather than 25 ppm HC's or more is for you.

If the shoe doesn't fit then stop being so high and mighty and leave room for a little broader interpretation. I really don't think our views are that far apart.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
OP Offline
C
Gentlemen, please, we've gotten a little off topic.

The reason I am thinking about gutting my precats is based solely on financial reasons. I got taken for $1400 cdn to replace the rear precat last summer, and I think it is clogged again. As I am presently out of work, I thought if I could do this instead, I could save myself a whole bunch of money.

My car is running terribly, spitting and stuttering at all rpm's, and once warmed up, does not generate much power. I will not perform this 'mod' till I do the UIM/LIM cleaning, which I will be starting this morning, being fairly certain that this is the root cause (taking lots of pics, btw).

As an aside, I'm am glad to see that the 'environmental' aspects of this type of work is on all of our minds. Yes, we should all be careful that we keep our air clean. I agree with the comments that so long as the main cat is in place, and operating, that this is being done.

As for zr500lc's comments, I don't appreciate them in my topic thread, and the language we can all do without. This is a very valuable forum to all of us, and while I appreciate all of the help I have received, I won't tolerate your flames toward the membership.

98 contour 2.5 GL no mods, just trying to keep it running till it's paid off. Then the fun will begin.
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by armstrkw:
If that makes me an Al Gore freak then I guess I am

Few points.....
1) Al Gore drives an SUV...
2) His "I am the environmentalist" platform lacked substance and was a substitute for any real plan to run the nation. But that is another story..
3) Global warming is felt by most experts to be part of a recurring (over milenia) cycle of climatary changes that has little to do with automobiles or cow farts.
4) And, despite the "global warming" fears..we are comming off one of the coldest winters globally that we have seen in decades. And the dry spell is broken with record rains. And, we are all still here...without Al Gore's help..
5) Is Al Gore even employed???

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Crazy: (OK back on topic...)

I have not had any problems with gutted pre-cats and a high flow main cat for 45K + miles. If I went through the whole pre-cat problem scenario again, I would have gutted them earlier. (Before clogging up a 3rd main cat) I don't think it's cost effective to repair these out of warranty as you will not get the money back in resale value, lower cost operation, better reliability, or even better sleep. (Unless you ARE Al Gore. Oh no, can't go there again...) You will, however get a more gutsy duratec with one less cronic failure item to be concerned with.

Scott 95 SE-2.5L ATX (Sold, but not forgotten...)
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
"Look at the facts? I am guessing your little high school punk a$$ has looked into many things past what should I do today and should I use my right or left hand tonight??"

I am a punk what u gonna do b*tch and i dont need my left or right because unlike u i dont stay at home studying enviorment stuff. I have a class for it and we did a 2 week study on this so feel free to ask me some questions. If u want advice from a "little high school punk a$$"

"With someone like you there is just no helping you, I seeing great burger flipping and French fry frying skills for you in the future."

Their FREEDOM FRIES where have u been.

"I am also ashamed to drive the same car as such an absolute no talent a$$ clown as yourself."

U want to get wasted on the strip or road course by an absolute no talent a$$ like me? Or how bout we go play some sports. Im all state in golf and all area in baseball. So looks like i wont be flippen burgers.

"If you have anything intelligent to say in response I would be very surprised!!!"

D*mn u must feel good about urself mouthin off to a junior in high school like that. Props to u. Congrats u used your "intelegence" to outwhit me. GOOD JOB.

"Lets hear your facts I want them!!!"

Here is one fact; I guarantee u were the biggest douch-bag in high school.

P.S. Where do u live i think we might have to meet if your in the grand rapids area any time soon!

D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
whats the best way to go about this,im guttin mine tomarrow?

98 SVT, silver frost, with blue graphics.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard