Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by armstrkw:
Thatâ??s the problem with the world people like you with a high school education believing whatever is thrown at you. If you want the data of a 1970â??s car (which is yours without cats, or little for cats) vs. an average carâ??s now emissions I have it. There is around a 5 to 10 fold difference, but hey dumass its was faked right by Gore I am assuming???

ok you can stop with the personal insults...which i never rescall personally attacking you...first of all i happen to have a frickin' college degree,so don't call me a high school educated duma$$,when you don't even fuggin' know me.....just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them ignorant...you should really watch what you say.....

i've actually read quite a bit on the subject,and actually wrote a college term paper on the subject.....and my views were formed along time ago,has nothing to do with bush or any republicans....its still a well known fact that factories and manufacturing plants are causing far more pollution than automobiles do,and when some duma$$ from one of these plants causes a major enviornmental catastrophe,the company just says sorry and then we all pay for their mistakes with stricter emission regulations on our vehicles,when we are not the root cause in the first place...

and if your boy al gore had his way we would all be driving friggin' generic electric cars.....i as well as many automotive enthusiasts are having to pay for things that are not our fault...i read many,many books and articles on this subject...and there were many proven facts about older cars,and LOTS of them were shown to actually be safer to the enviornment,then some of these newer cars that actually passed an emissions test....the guy that just posted he passed his emissions test,just even further proves my point,that automobiles(even ones with gutted cats on them,such as in this case)are NOT causing as much damage as people like al gore,and puppets like your self,who believe everything these enviornmentalists say or write,seem to think....

the guy who you just said was ok because he passed his sniffer test,said he GUTTED his cats,which you originally stated was wrong!!!!huh why don't you make up your mind!!!!his gutting is no different than anybody else's...so basically you have no point at all...i am through ruining this thread with enviornmental bs...if you don't have anything to add to the actual topic,then why don't you stop posting on it then...i am done arguing with you pm me if you want to keep insulting me,and lets get this back ON TOPIC...your personal insults just further show your ignorance....

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
ok, we all have opinions! but i just want o know one thing!!! what are th hp gains some have seen? my motor is out and i figure ill do it now, and i just want know what to expect and if its worth it!

98 SVT, silver frost, with blue graphics.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I cant really tell you for sure what kinds of gains I got, but I could feel a difference. It could be due to the precats being clogged or it could not be. I did have fairly low miles on the car when I did it. Either way to me, it was worth it.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Gore has a great environmental outlook; just because I care and am educated in the subject doesnâ??t mean I voted for Gore. I donâ??t trust Gore running us in a war situation and I donâ??t trust Bush with anything having to do with the environment. Maybe you just enjoy fâ??ing earth up, open your eyes.

Hey dufus, check the facts before you post. The main catalytic converter is still in place AND the car still passes emissions!

Pre-cats are for cold start emission and heat up faster than the main cat. Letting the car idle about 3-5 minutes before driving is enough time to heat the main cat up.
Not all cars use pre-cats. Just depends on the position of the main cat. I moved my cat forward more and used header wrap and I guarantee it lights off a lot quicker than it used to!

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
If the combustion process is efficient then most of the pollutants are consumed there in the chamber.

Have you ever full throttled your car to pass someone? Or to take off fast? Ever smell the rotten-egg smell from yours or someone elses exhaust?
Happens all the time and is caused by UNBURNT FUEL in the exhaust hitting the catalytic converters where it is still unburnt after coming out. Its hypocritical to think that because you retain a stock emissions system that you don't pollute. Stop driving your car, that will solve the problem.

I appreciate the comment about minimizing pollution, but you are going way overboard. If you can pass the state emissions test then you should have a clean conscience.

You know what they say, "Changes start with me first." Sell of your car and buy a bicycle, then you can talk about how great of an environmentalist you are.

warmonger

Take that advice to heart and buy a bicycle.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
"Happens all the time and is caused by UNBURNT FUEL in the exhaust hitting the catalytic converters where it is still unburnt after coming out. Its hypocritical to think that because you retain a stock emissions system that you don't pollute. Stop driving your car, that will solve the problem"

You know that the catalytic converter works to oxidize the unburnt fuel and essentially burn it right?? Therefore there will be less unburt fuel coming out. It does this when the engine management system runs slightly lean and then slightly rich, modern cars do this constantly. Thus oxidizing what needs to be oxidized and ripping oxygen from what needs to be deoxidized. There are 3 basic reactions going on fluctuating with the amount fuel delivered to the cylindering in the first place.

For the second part of your question, I do pollute, but I try to limit it, I recycle and I keep my cats in place to do what they were designed to do. If that makes me an Al Gore freak then I guess I am, but I donâ??t see the connection. Currently I am working on fuel cell research which would be doing my part for the greater good tomorrow. Not because I am some green tree hugger but because fuel cells are going to be the way of the future like it or not Mustang guys. I just dont see how me wanting my stock cars in place make me some extreme nut.

Canada = little France
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
"Pre-cats are for cold start emission and heat up faster than the main cat. Letting the car idle about 3-5 minutes before driving is enough time to heat the main cat up."

Hey num nuts I just said that in my second post. What good does letting the car warm up do for you? Is is just sitting there why not just drive it to let it warm up. It will warm up alot faster that way plus you will be going somewhere not just sitting there wasting fuel. There was some study about this like 5 years ago I think.

"Not all cars use pre-cats. Just depends on the position of the main cat. I moved my cat forward more and used header wrap and I guarantee it lights off a lot quicker than it used to!"

That should work to be a very good setup congratulations. Do you hear many other people moving their cats up?? They donâ??t because they donâ??t know the advantages. I was strictly saying that gutting the precats is not the best thing to do from an environmental standpoint. If the SVT people are passing the cold start emission test with gutted precats in Cali. with flying colors then I am wrong and you guys win. I am not sure this is the case though. And why turn a light polluter into an average one anyways? Especially for small HP gains??

Canada = little France
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
If the SVT people are passing the cold start emission test with gutted precats in Cali. with flying colors then I am wrong and you guys win. I am not sure this is the case though. And why turn a light polluter into an average one anyways? Especially for small HP gains??

There is no cold start test. It's a 15 and 25 mph test done warm. On my 97 SE I got 15ppm HC (Max of 40 allowed), .01% CO (Max of .49% allowed) and 7PPM NOx (Max of 730 allowed).

This beat the pants of my wifes T-LEV Neon :-)

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
Z
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Z
Hey armstrkw, im 16 years old and drive an svt. Im going to live on this earth alot longer then u and put up with this polution, yet i could care less. Look at the facts. I promis u im going to gut my pretcats just to piss u off. I hate little tree huggin b*tches like u. So get out of this topic and F*UCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Right, a gutted precat wouldn't even effect this test. It just the initial couple of mins

Canada = little France
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard