Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Here is the MIL eliminater how-to.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I don't think anyone can post an "average gain" because there hasn't been enough accurate data posted to make any averages!

Everytime someone guts the pre-cats there is something else done simultaneously.
If your pre-cats are starting to plug up you will gain back the lost power. If your pre-cats are not plugged up then I don't think you will gain any 5-8 HP. If the pre-cats have enough flow area to equal the flow area of the piping following them, then you will gain nothing other than an expansion chamber which = BAD. The honeycomb will induce some drag, but at least the flow is laminar and not turbulent which could be worth a lot of power.

What I can say for sure is I didn't notice any improvement going to gutted pre-cats, but I noticed a huge improvement going from gutted pre-cats to MSDS headers, and I dyno'd this proof to the tune of 7-11 ft-lb increase in torque in the 3000 rpm range and at least a 4 ft-lb increase in torque 2000-5500 rpm range.
They are not equivalent mods, the MSDS headers flow better, increase scavenging and are probably 40% lighter so you drop weight off the car.

I would only gut the pre-cats when they are beginning to fail.
I'm only speaking from experience since I've done both of the mods we're talking about.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Thanks for the info guys im doing this right now, I was just lost on how to get the stuff out of the front cat but now I know thanks much!

98 SE V6 MTX T RED bridgestone potenza re950 open air filter side makers and removed ding guards , gutted percats, no muffler SVT brakes SpecIII cluch and spec flywheel torsen diff soon
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Hi, I have this great idea, car companyâ??s spend countless time and money getting the cars emissions down to what they are and you guys want to throw all of this away?? Whatâ??s the point? Make some kind of other improvements, why take your cars back to the 70's? With all of the options out there, just don't seem like a good option at least I wouldn't want it on my conscience. Now you guys are throwing out all kinds of soxâ??s, noxâ??s, and even unburned hydrocarbons into the air. I am not some tree hugger but have respect for the world around me. It kind of like going back to leaded gas, I mean there is a performance advantage but hello????

Canada = little France
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by armstrkw:
Hi, I have this great idea, car companyâ??s spend countless time and money getting the cars emissions down to what they are and you guys want to throw all of this away?? Whatâ??s the point? Make some kind of other improvements, why take your cars back to the 70's? With all of the options out there, just don't seem like a good option at least I wouldn't want it on my conscience. Now you guys are throwing out all kinds of soxâ??s, noxâ??s, and even unburned hydrocarbons into the air. I am not some tree hugger but have respect for the world around me. It kind of like going back to leaded gas, I mean there is a performance advantage but hello????

someone's been listening to al gore a little too much...lol...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Gore has a great environmental outlook; just because I care and am educated in the subject doesnâ??t mean I voted for Gore. I donâ??t trust Gore running us in a war situation and I donâ??t trust Bush with anything having to do with the environment. Maybe you just enjoy fâ??ing earth up, open your eyes.

Canada = little France
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by armstrkw:
Gore has a great environmental outlook; just because I care and am educated in the subject doesnâ??t mean I voted for Gore. I donâ??t trust Gore running us in a war situation and I donâ??t trust Bush with anything having to do with the environment. Maybe you just enjoy fâ??ing earth up, open your eyes.

yes i do enjoy f'ing up the earth...i got no main cat on my svt,get over it...i also got a 12 second stang,with offroad exhaust,and i love polluting the air with it...lol...

you are just a tool of this society that believes all the propaganda that dumba$$es like gore spews out...you claim to be soooo educated on the subject,but i believe you just too easily believe the SO CALLED truths of these enviornmental morons...have you done any actual tests on what a gutted cat does to the atmosphere???????i seriously doubt it.....

maybe you should do a little more reading on the subject,besides what these tree hugging morons write....there are several books that have been written on the subject by scientists that HAVE done research on the subject...and MANY of them claim that all this crap about automobile emissions being so terrible for the enviornment are false...and also that the ozone layer has been naturally depleting over the entire life of this atmosphere,and how automobiles are NOT as major of a contributor as some would like you to believe...

these "so called" enviornmental politicians are the same ones making it hard on us automotive enthusiasts,while they are taking under the table payoffs from the real polluters of the enviornment the factories,and manufacturing plants....and have you ever noticed how much smoke and crap you see pour out of city busses whenever they take off???do you actually think these busses have to adhere to the same emissions laws as you and i do????i seriously doubt it...its a double standard...

so don't come on here and try and preach to us about your enviornmental bs....this was a thread about gutting your precats,not how YOU feel about the enviornment...if you don't want to gut your cats,then fine don't....but some do,and if youy have nothing to add to the topic,then maybe you shouldn't comment at all...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
You are so right, its all clear now. I just took all of my cats off all of my cars. Global warming is for the birds. I would love to know how many of your sources are from republican sponsored research. Did you hear that Bush just hired a select committee to try to find that global warming wasn't a problem and they found out the opposite? This was his own guys!!! I am really not a big fan of Gore's, I respect him, but I disagree with a lot of things he does and says. I am not some Gore fan, but saying that your gutted cars arenâ??t polluting the environment is just plain ignorant. Thatâ??s the problem with the world people like you with a high school education believing whatever is thrown at you. If you want the data of a 1970â??s car (which is yours without cats, or little for cats) vs. an average carâ??s now emissions I have it. There is around a 5 to 10 fold difference, but hey dumass its was faked right by Gore I am assuming???

Canada = little France
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:

I would only gut the pre-cats when they are beginning to fail.
I'm only speaking from experience since I've done both of the mods we're talking about.

warmonger

I agree. I started with a gutted main cat after talking with Ray McNairy (RIP). It had definite noticeable gains in power and TQ - immediately felt more low end TQ steer. I dyno'd like this with a KKN, UDP, SVT TB and a dynomax on the stock 2" SE piping I got 154hp and 156 tq. Then shoot ahead a few years, and I suspect my pre cats to be failing - so I gut them. Notice ZERO gain in power and huge bog around secondary tranistion, plus car sounds just a bit like a deisel truck. Given I now have 3 expansion chambers which has got to be bad, but I go ahead and put a new main cat back on. The mid range bog goes away, but I still feel like I lost top end power vs just the gutted main.

Anyway, gutted precats may give you some power, but in my expeience it's even less than what you get with a gutted main cat (which everybody claims will make you lose power.)

Oh and on the envvironmeent thing - I passed CA sniffer tests with the main cat gone, and with the precats gone.

My .02

97 Contour SE MTX K&N 3530, UR UDP, 19# Injectors, mystery mod, FMS wires, Fordchip.com chip, SVT: TB, Flywheel, clutch, exhaust 04 Grand Caravan SXT
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
If you passed the Ca sniffer test, then you are fine by me, excellent job!! My beef is with people who gut everything mostly. Gutting your precats will effect your emissions during your first couple of minutes of your drive cycle. This is due to them being close to the engine and allowed to heat up to operating temperature very quickly. So this isnâ??t the worst thing you could do, especially if you make long trips. When however, you gut your main ones you are just throwing shite into the air we breath. Just not a good alternative, especially when all the research has been put into making these system behave the way they do which is really well!!! I am surprised your car didnâ??t flag something if it was a cold start????

Canada = little France
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard