Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hydro Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
From what I've read, a front mounted intercooler will not work on our cars because the raditor is too wide. I'm wondering if there's anyway to fit a smaller or custom radiator to replace the stock one allowing for a front mounted intercooler to be a possibility? my knowledge is extremely limited on the subject and I have no idea what the costs would be to install something like this but there has to be something out there right?

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
wouldn't a smaller radiator be a step in the wrong direction? Our cars get hot enough as is, yes, a front mounted air to air would be awesome for FI, but maybe a revised front bumper would be a better idea? Because downsizing a radiator would only heat stuff up more. . .

H
hydro Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
H
well thats what im saying, get an aftermarket radiator that is smaller but provides the same effect if not better than stock. there has to be something out there. the reason i bring this up is because the new front bumper from the body kit would definitely be able to fit an intercooler better than the svt bumper.

K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
From a efficieny stand point the air-to-air is not even close to a water-air especially with the capapbility to add ice for track days. My thoughts even if I could fit a air-to-air I would fit a water-air anyway because they simply outperform any air-to-air we could fit.

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
True, but there is nothing like a front mount to fill up a big hole in a bumper.

I have often toyed around with the front mount idea, but there is just no easy way to run the piping. Having the turbo/supercharger and intake inlet on the same side of the engine bay also causes a problem because you need an intercooler that has them on the same side as well, unless you want to run longer than necessary piping. I also thought about an intercooler kit I saw for the mustang that the inlet and outlet run under the front radiator support, but as low as my car is, they wouldn't last very long. It'll be air to water for me

Simon new- '04 Dodge Dakota 4x4. V8, 5spd FOR SALE Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)- SOLD! New project-'88 Ranger 302 swap.
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
I think if you did a lot of cutting and making of alternate bracketry for the front end components you could fit a decent sized air to air IC. It would just end up making a mess of the front end of the car underneath though.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
IMO you would also need to remove the A/C condensor to fit one as well.
Procharger makes a nice 2-core (supports 500HP) that should fit with just some minor to the front supports of an SVT. Rig up an iso/water spray nozzle to bath the IC too.
I don't see any size IC fitting under any stock bumper cover.

Even with that said I'd go the water to air route. So much more efficient and works all the time regardless of airflow.

Whatever you do you definitely DO NOT want to downgrade the stock radiator. Actually I would recommend all non-SVT's to upgrade to the SVT radiator anyway! Boost adds a tremendous amount of heat to the engine!

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Good points except that the water to air still has to have a heat exchanger to reject heat to the air at some point. If you have a large resevoir you will take a long time to heat it all up, but you will eventually have to cool it down too. Ideally you have a dedicated heat exchanger(read: small radiator) for the water-air intercooler and a resevoir that can be cooled below ambient by adding ice for greater than 100% efficiency. However, when the ice is gone it should still work as well as a normal air-air intercooler. Packaging is just easier and piping is smaller though the overall system is more complicated.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
What aboouuoouut, a smaller more efficient radiator from like FAL or whatever, a more efficent dual fan system from FAL or whatever, a small front mount charge cooler and a nitrous fogger for extreme high temps and boost?

Now owner of 0 SVT's. my web page
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
What would one do with their water to air IC in the winter? Empty it out?? It can get very cold up here. Even if you added antifreeze...aren't too cold intake temps bad as well??

Originally posted by warmonger:
Good points except that the water to air still has to have a heat exchanger to reject heat to the air at some point. If you have a large resevoir you will take a long time to heat it all up, but you will eventually have to cool it down too. Ideally you have a dedicated heat exchanger(read: small radiator) for the water-air intercooler and a resevoir that can be cooled below ambient by adding ice for greater than 100% efficiency. However, when the ice is gone it should still work as well as a normal air-air intercooler. Packaging is just easier and piping is smaller though the overall system is more complicated.

warmonger

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard