Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
As I mentioned in another post, I just replaced my brake pads and rotors today. I did this in order to eliminate the shimmy-shake when I brake. (I had the front rotors cut once and it fixed it for a few weeks but it came back.) Anyway, the front pads were less than half used but the backs were almost gone. Is this common? I have a 98 SVT E0 with the "big pads" on the front.

Dave

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Use your parking brake to stop???

Could possibly have a dragging parking brake. IIRC it is/was a known problem.

When I changed my pads to Titaniums (Stazi GB) here recently (30k) my rears were hardly worn at all.

The rotors were fine too. (spec'd great, no warp or runout) Matter of fact I even kept them for that exact reason.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
As Demon said, you could be dragging. Check your slid pins as well. Did you notice one pad worn more than the other?

-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
All four pads from the rear were worn evenly and I do not make a habit of stopping with the parking brake. And I am pretty sure that my brakes aren't dragging any more than is normal for disc brakes. I can push the car forward up the slight upgrade of my garage and I only weigh 130 lbs. so there can't be that much drag. Strange huh.

Dave

A
b0x @dm1n
b0x @dm1n
A
After 50k miles my rears didn't show any signs of wearing out. Then I installed KVR's upfront and they began to wear rather quickly, making up for the KVR's lack of cold stopping power. Did you change your font pads recently?
-Andy

Andy W. The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
do you have a brake balancer? if you do, the setting could be too strong in the rear.

95 GL MTX Zetec, Carbon Fiber hood: *neoprene seat covers *new SVT rear bumper *Proud Owner of 1962 Chevy Corvette 427

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard