Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
This is the work a local machine shop did for my SC's ddriveshaft, I know one of the main guys at the shop and he can do others. More info on that later;

Pic 1 - shows the standard vortech outer shaft which we shortened.

Pic 2 - this is the bearing case they made, it has a bearing encased in the aluminum (i think that what he used) and capped to retain the centering embossment (sorry I may be killing some of the tech. terms)

Here is the SC side of the case

Pic 4 - This is the female spline end that connects to the SC drive shaft. From Vortech it is merely pressed on (NO Pins) Well that did not go over well with the machine guys. So they pressed off the end, machined the outer end to fit the bearing, pressed it back in place and pinned it. The spline was made of hardend SS.

Pic 5 - Close up on the shortened outer sleeve with the female spline exposed. This is how vortech ships these (except its longer ), there is absolutly no way to know the female end is centered in the outer sleeve when mating to the SC. The bearing inside the SC itself is the only thing keeping it true.

Pic 6 - Shows the machined female end fitting the new bearing casing. This ensures the shaft is centered at the SC and is a very precise fitment.

Pic 7 - The outer sleeve is back on and is centered in the new bearing case. Picture 8 shows the stock Vortech mounts are still used throughout the revised bearing assembly.

pic 9 - The female spline drive shaft is centered and ready to be mated with the SC's drive shaft. Notice the bearing assembly and SC centering "ring"

And finally the last two pictures show the new bearing assembly on the SC itself

The location of the new bearing is right on the female spline exactly where the SC drive mates to it. Keeping the jackshaft true is the problem with this kit. Before this was done the female spline was off center in the outer sleeve by a good 3/16's, that will cause excessive stress on only a portion of the male and female teeth causing the extensive wear (after all the SC shafts are spinning at 10-15k rpms).

The one in the pictures is a prototype, if anyone does want this done for them, the new bearing casing will be polished (or at least have a nicer finish) and may also be "cut" to match the other bearing case at the pulley end. I an not sure about the latter though.

Cost, you ask?? Obviously you will need to supply your complete shaft assm, but total with shipping back to you is looking like $275 (includes credit card or paypal fees) The cost is high due to extensive labor, each one takes about 8 hours to complete. Included in price is the hardware (4 screws), bearing, new bearing assembly, machine work to the female spline end (with pins), and the shortening of the outer sleeve. If your female splines are already damaged I will have to contact them about cost for that piece.

Bill

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
WOW thats beautiful!! That is definitly going to eliminate the shaft wobble that occurs by just letting them center themselves.

What kind of turnaround would you expect on something like this?

I offer PnP Heads for all durtec's details at PnPheads.com or jesse@pnpheads.com for details.
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
He picked mine up on Monday and had it done Thursday, so with time in transit on UPS I would figure 2 weeks.

Previous Owner of 00 SVT Contour #1077/2150 95 Contour SE '01 3L
B
Redneck Troll
Redneck Troll
B
Originally posted by kinger:
WOW thats beautiful!! That is definitly going to eliminate the shaft wobble that occurs by just letting them center themselves.

What kind of turnaround would you expect on something like this?

Here's my attempt to push you over the edge... do it Jesse... Do it! Rick, are you listening??? You too!

http://www.bnmotorsports.com "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my CEG brothers. And you will know I am the Moderator when I lay my vengeance upon you."
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Originally posted by bnoon:

Here's my attempt to push you over the edge... do it Jesse... Do it! Rick, are you listening??? You too!

Lol, you just reminded me of Reese Witherspoon in election.

95 SE Modded - Gone 98 E0 Black SVT - Gone 98 se sport - Broken 00 T-Red SVT - Nice
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Really nice work, good design concept too.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
sweet!

You will be hearing from me this summer

Simon new- '04 Dodge Dakota 4x4. V8, 5spd FOR SALE Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)- SOLD! New project-'88 Ranger 302 swap.
O
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
O
can you contact them about my damaged female splines? As you know I am very interested in getting this done asap. My car feels like a dog without my s/c

Plain-jane 3.0L supercharged E0 FOR SALE OR TRADE FOR STOCK SVT PLUS CASH WTB- 36# return injectors
B
Learned patience the hard way
Learned patience the hard way
B
Sent you a PM on the setup. BTW, I was planning something very similar using the bearing case from the pulley end and then remachining the other end, but since you've got the homework done, I'd be more than happy to pay you for the effort.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
all i know is this, I want one. If and when they are available i'll take it or mabey talk to my mechanic and see if his machine shop can do it.

2004 Evolution VIII cams-exhaust-tune 315whp 12.7@109
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard